Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda FRV vs Merc B Class vs BMW 3 Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2007, 12:47 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda FRV vs Merc B Class vs BMW 3 Tourer

Since we're expecting our second child, we're looking to get a family car, that is also used as my wife's car (I'll stick with my scoob).

As her car, we don't want it to be too long, so the honda and merc mpvs are useful. The extra seat of the FRV is also a winner, along with great user reviews online. Our only real concern with the FRV is whether the boot will be big enough. This led us to consider an estate, and a friend is about to trade in their 3 year old BMW 320d (basic model), 33,000 miles, fsh, well looked after, etc, for £9,500.

Seems like a good deal. Disadvantage is that it's longer than the mpvs, and the seats are lower, making it harder to put the kids in and out. If we don't take it, it's going to the garage on Saturday, so need to decide pronto.

The B class is less value for money than the FRV, and only 5 seats, but I believe it has more boot space, despite being the same overall length (and being thinner too).

If anyone has any advice on the above, I'll be very grateful.

Not interested in the choice of fords, vauxhalls, or the french offerings (although may consider the new c4 picasso now that you can get a discount on the list price).

Thanks
Old 06 December 2007, 09:08 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

A friends wife is expecting at the end of the month and they went for the B class and love it.

They were considering the Seat, the one you can get with the 140 BHP VW diesel engine and went for the Merc in the end. It came down to price - the B wasn't much different in price to the Seat after negotiating but will hold its value.... I think it was a year or maybe two old and around £15k with leather and bluetooth phone.

I do like the look of the Honda though.....

Rich
Old 06 December 2007, 09:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar decision to make and have pretty much decided on the BMW X3 2.0d. Also wanted a big boot as we have a big pushchair and big dog.

Decided on it 2 years ago and still haven't got it due to various changes in circumstances

If the 3 tourer is the older model, they're supposed to be notoriously small at the back - boot is more lifestyle than practical, apparently.
Old 06 December 2007, 10:00 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The Honda, easily.

It will be more practical, more reliable etc. The BMW would be too small and low surely. The Merc (and bmw) will cost more to run too. And have you ever had to deal with merc dealers!!!!

You say you won't look at Ford etc.. Why? The C-Max has gotta be worth a look in. As has the VW Touran and VX Zafira.
Old 06 December 2007, 12:50 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips.
Originally Posted by Dracoro
You say you won't look at Ford etc.. Why? The C-Max has gotta be worth a look in. As has the VW Touran and VX Zafira.
The choice of fords was really the C-Max and S-Max. The C-Max had terrible JDpower survey results (almost bottom) and just didn't seem to offer anything above the Honda. The S-Max is just too big for us, as it'll be parked on the street at home, work, and when popping to town. It's 50cm longer than the Honda and Merc. For families that need 7 seats, and can park off the road, that's probably ideal, but it's not for us. The Touran is about the same size as the Honda, and I think it's a good choice. It should have more boot space due to it's squarer shape, but that does make it look a little bit minibus like, so my wife's not keen. She basically didn't want a people carrier at all, but they are the sensible choice. The Zafira is too big, and again not that pretty.
Old 06 December 2007, 12:57 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I've had a similar decision to make and have pretty much decided on the BMW X3 2.0d.
Nice, but much more expensive than the alternatives we're looking at. Not awful fuel economy, but being 4 wheel drive, worse than the others.
Old 06 December 2007, 01:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Fair comment. I get various discounts from different manufacturers, and BMW give a bigger one than many, so it's a strange playing field for me.

Being pedantic - you know it's 2WD most of the time? True that it's bigger and heavier though...
Old 06 December 2007, 01:35 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

The 320d makes the most sense because of the good price and known history.
I'm not a fan of MPVs but the extra height really does make a huge difference on school runs and shopping trips. Against that, most MPVs make pretty poor long distance cars. They are noisier, have more upright driving positions and are generally less comfortable than an equivalent estate.
We bought a Mazda 5 about 18 months ago and it is about as practical as a small MPV can get - the sliding doors add another level of convenience that just doesn't exist in any other cars of this size. We, are, however thinking about trading my Scoob for something more comfortable for long runs because the Mazda is such a tiring motorway car.
It rather depends on what you are going to use it for.
Old 06 December 2007, 01:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with the above which is why we're trying to trade in the RAV4 for the X3 - the latter is noticeably quieter than the former at high speed.

Simon, I saw yesterday (with interest) that with the new Mazda5 to be released they have made a real effort to cut down the noise level.

Personally, I wish Honda and Merc would add 20-30cms to the car in the boot, like the Seat Altea XL, and they would be perfect. I don't understand how manufacturers target their cars for "family" use but don't leave much room for all the tat that the modern family carries around with them
Old 06 December 2007, 02:53 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Being pedantic - you know it's 2WD most of the time? True that it's bigger and heavier though...
No I didn't. I just checked the prices after reading your post, and thought, ahhh, bit too expensive.
Old 06 December 2007, 06:50 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

That's interesting about the new 5 but they have an awful lot to do. Road noise is the biggest culprit but the engines and drivetrain are really rough when extended too. I found that the Touran suffered in a similar way.
The 5 also needs a better spec, cruise control should at least be an option. If they can sort these issues out without drastically increasing the price then it would be the best small MPV out there by some margin............as long as you have no more that two kids!!!

We paid less than £15k for a new 2.0 Sport. That's very little money for a car that comes tantalisingly close to meeting all of our needs.
Old 06 December 2007, 07:17 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

I did 450miles in a nearly new Zafira yesterday to wales and back, in hindsight I should have vomited all over the inside just to make it a nicer place to be.

The clutch was the most unfeeling thing ever the gear change angle I found far worse then most vans I have driven and the electronic throttle had a mind of its own. All round I was very unimpressed, and I am serious when I say I have been in nicer transits.

Not driven an FRV but thats the direction I would be looking personally.
Old 07 December 2007, 12:44 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddie1980
Not driven an FRV but thats the direction I would be looking personally.
That is my favourite at the moment. Popped to the dealers this afternoon to put the double buggy in the back, and while there wasn't a lot of room left, we could get a few bags in, and while the kids need a buggy, they won't need the foot wells.

I would like to go to the local Toyota dealer and take a look at the Verso tomorrow, it's not very long for a 7 seater (shorter than my scoob). Also a little cheaper than the FRV.
Old 07 December 2007, 08:40 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

The other thing with a FRV is they do have that little bit of that uniqueness about them since the roads are not clogged with them. There a new ish development/model and Honda did nothing like it before meaning there is not one round every corner.

I would be interested in how the Toyota compares though, since they have been making this format of car longer then Honda, you'd hope it might be as good if not better.

At then end of the day though its about what works best for you!
Old 15 December 2007, 10:13 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eddie1980
The other thing with a FRV is they do have that little bit of that uniqueness about them since the roads are not clogged with them.
Yep, I like the design and uniqueness of the Honda.

I would be interested in how the Toyota compares though, since they have been making this format of car longer then Honda, you'd hope it might be as good if not better.
Well it's the Verso we've bought. It was ok to drive and decent value. I prefer the looks of the Honda, but the larger boot of the Verso, and thinner body, made it my wife's choice.
Old 15 December 2007, 05:41 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

Oh right cool.

In the real world there should be little difference in terms of ownership stress!

Happy motoring!