Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Xsara VTS?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2007, 08:56 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xsara VTS?

OK, I know these aren't the best looking cars but my mate is thinking of getting one. He says they are just as fast as a 306 gti/same car, but he can get one newer and cheaper. Is he right? Also, how do they compare to the likes of a 172, saxo vts, pug 106gti and the like?

Just did a search and they would appear to have 167bhp as standard too.
Old 20 November 2007, 09:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really cant see why people dont like the looks - it actually perplexes me but any way - its similar alround to gti6 but obviously with a five speed box not as luxurious possibly but then its cheaper !
Not really like rest youve suggested tho - without some amount of tuning ( suspension )

I have vtr for the last 5 years - along side the sti

Last edited by dpb; 20 November 2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 21 November 2007, 06:05 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

What's the vtr like?

Doesn't seem like many people know much about the vts.
Old 22 November 2007, 04:16 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saphcos
What's the vtr like?

Doesn't seem like many people know much about the vts.
I've got a vtr at the moment and I am very suprised at how well it goes. The one I have is the 1.6 8 valve but most were the 1.8 16 valves. I am also very impressed at the build quality on mine, it's done 84k miles and nothing has fallen off & the interior is almost like new, something rare in a French car of that period.

The vts is faster than the gti6 because the engine is better suited to the Citroen's 5 speed box.

This is mine.

Old 22 November 2007, 09:01 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

my friend had a vts from new for 4/5 years, caused him so many problems, the thing was vertually falling to pieces when he moved it on, went through 2 wiring looms, many exhaust problems and used to drink oil!!

All in all it had a nice turn of speed and handled quite well, wouldnt personally go for one but would be somethin different i guess.
Old 22 November 2007, 09:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've known the whereabouts of mine since it was about a year old because my mate bought it from a dealers as an ex demo and it's been good as gold, there are good and bad cars.
Old 22 November 2007, 09:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to say, I quite like these, especially when they updated the headlamps, but then I like odd cars.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The trim falls off but then its french after all - having said that i didnt expect the door handle to come off in my hand dont know my own strength

Only electric problems i had were due to my stubborness not to replace the starter motor till it actually died
Old 23 November 2007, 03:44 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I've got a vtr at the moment and I am very suprised at how well it goes. The one I have is the 1.6 8 valve but most were the 1.8 16 valves. I am also very impressed at the build quality on mine, it's done 84k miles and nothing has fallen off & the interior is almost like new, something rare in a French car of that period.

The vts is faster than the gti6 because the engine is better suited to the Citroen's 5 speed box.

This is mine.

Pre-facelift then... Good, those later lights and huge cartoon size chevrons really put me off.

From what I've read, the Xsara's an entertaining drive as opposed to boring, possibly entertaining/frightening depending on the skill/expectations of the driver.

J.

Last edited by vindaloo; 23 November 2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 23 November 2007, 04:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Pre-facelift then... Good, those later lights and huge cartoon size chevrons really put me off.

From what I've read, the Xsara's an entertaining drive as opposed to boring, possibly entertaining/frightening depending on the skill/expectations of the driver.

J.
All of these reasons together including the oversized chevrons and mercedes lights together with the bargain price are what made me buy the facelift version
Old 23 November 2007, 05:45 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

They seem a bit slow for the power they put out. About 8 secs to 60 whereas 306gti is 6.9/7ish?

Is this just down to gearing or are they really heavy?
Old 24 November 2007, 11:21 AM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

would worry so much about the figure, they do shift in my opinion - had a williams clio recently and not a great deal it!
Old 24 November 2007, 12:11 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

That's pretty impressive if they are as fast as a Williams. Surprised people don't rate them. Went out in my mates and I must admit it seemed quite quick.
Old 25 November 2007, 04:20 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Used to have a Xsara before the scoob, and whilst they get some stick, its almost all undeserved.

The 2.0 VTS is 167bhp, and sits 30mm lower than the other models as standard. Great value for money - much cheaper than the GTI-6 and actually a better all round car imho. Handling is actually very good - it has passive rear steering which makes it great fun to drive. Very easy to get lift off oversteer in the wet - also helped by having good front end bite into the corners.

They also have a shed load of equipment on them, like auto-sensing wipers and headlamps, air con etc as standard. Considering they can be had for less than £2k, a bargain

Theres loads of info on Citroën Xsara Owners Club - Index
Old 27 November 2007, 09:04 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, whats economy like in the VTS??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27 November 2007, 05:36 PM
Gompo
Scooby Regular

The price difference between a GTI-6 and a VTS is negligable nowadays, you can pick up very nice 306's for less than £2k. VTS' are possibly not overlooked as much as they used to be too.

Mpg wise I'd say you'd get 30-ish providing you're not pushing it too much of the time.
Old 27 November 2007, 10:41 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gompo
The price difference between a GTI-6 and a VTS is negligable nowadays, you can pick up very nice 306's for less than £2k. VTS' are possibly not overlooked as much as they used to be too.
Not really, 2k will get you a '97 or '98 GTI-6 in average condition. For the same money, you're into new shape VTS' on '51 plates.

The Pug's hold their value much better

Oh, and mileage wise, expect 30-32mpg from the VTS for "normal" driving.
Old 28 November 2007, 06:24 PM
Gompo
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, I was slightly off about the VTS' value, but there are v.nice 306's out there for £2k.