Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Other Cars - Scary Moments...

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 11:47 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Recent talk of second cars got me thinking! Has anyone else had 'moments' driving a non scooby like it is a scooby?

I frequently drive (amongst others) a diesel citroen, and constantly scare myself not slowing sufficiently for corners - its not that I speed, just corners which I'd never noticed in the WRX scare the **** of me in this when it starts to let go!

I'm not saying I'm regularly dangerous, just I manage to scare myself in 'non imprezas', The most worrying time being when I managed to set the brakes on fire in Peugeot 306, while following a collegue in his impreza

Strange though, the effect regular impreza driving has had on me!

Jon
Old 12 January 2002, 08:27 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

One of the first times out in my westfield, the roads were a tiny bit greasy so I had intended taking it gently, but upon hitting a favourite dual carriageway roundabout my quest to hear the engine scream (it revs to over 12,000 rpm ) and feel the warp speed wind in my hair (it has no real windscreen) I nailed it as I did many times in the Impreza.

Unfortunatly bumpy greasy british roundabout, 340bhp/tonne, RWD, 400kg weight, 'race car stiff' suspension, 12,000rpm and semi slick tyres arn't a great combination, and threw the car into oversteer which whilst I managed to catch, the bumps span me the other way - ended up facing the wrong way down a dual carriageway A painless, albeit bowel-unloading lesson

You only realise how easy an impreza is to drive quickly when you get in something with twice the PWR and half the driving wheels

SCREAM IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER
Old 12 January 2002, 09:37 AM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Talking

worst is driving a scooby like a go kart on the way home from winners!
Old 12 January 2002, 05:28 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Drove my Dads company car (Audi A6 1.8T) the other day. I'd forgotten how funny wheelspins in first gear can be at traffic lights I felt like a real boy racer and got some very strange looks.
Old 12 January 2002, 06:20 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The Y reg 1.2 Clio Mill Lane gave me as a courtesy car!!!

Went round a roundabout thinking it was a scoob, then felt the lean and wheels scrabbling for grip!!!!

Worst car I've ever driven!!! Still - great mod for the scoob - felt like a rocket when I got back in it!!!!!

Cheers
Neil.
Old 12 January 2002, 10:58 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Red face

Didn't have the scoob at the time, but at my previous place of work one of the lads got some expanding foam in his eye, and I had to take him to the hospital in the car of my bosses boss. Driving comparitively slowly (hey this was time off work) we came to an S bend which I expected to just drive around, turned in, and the whole car went light and drifted wide in a four wheel drift, thankfully by holding my line and feathering the throttle I crept around it.
Afterwards we could joke about us both almost needing to visit the hosital.

A few days later I went round the same corner 14mph quicker in my own car, proving there was definitely something pretty seriously wrong with the other car.
Old 12 January 2002, 11:07 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I don't have a Scoob but I know what you mean, I was a technician till December!

I found Vauxhuals the worst, the steering is soooo slow compared to my Fiesta and heavy too, a few pharps with them I can tell you!

I worked in a Hyundai dealership too, that was fun! When you first drive them, the entire range is incredibly tail happy! The sporty ones aren't so bad when you get used to them tho, however! I once got an Accent MVI so incredibly sideways!!! I went over a rise which also goes a little to left, the back stepped out and left me facing entirely the wrong way for the following right hander...to this day I don't know how I got it back!!! ( it was a company car, not a customers btw)

Bob