Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Can a knackered wheel bearing warp a disc?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2007, 03:03 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a knackered wheel bearing warp a disc?

On a mondeo mk 2- A few weeks ago i had the bearing on front drivers side changed as it was making a noise-during it being changed the garage found the brake pads had seperated from its backing so had new brake pads put on as well-since then when at low speed as in reversing in car park i get a squeeling noise coming from that wheel-jacked car up and when i turn wheel by hand in one place it rubs against brake pads and makes said noise-also the brake pads instead of braking over whole surface now on outside of that wheel only brake on outer part of disc-took it back to garage he said its just the pads wearing in-but done a couple hundred mile now and still same-so this weekend i swapped pads round to other wheel and still doing it-so question,- as far as i know before bearing was done my disc was ok as its only done approx 8000 miles ( but they was only cheap ones)could a worn wheel bearing have warped a disc? as i dont wanna replace discs if its not problem, just wondering as i know garage only stuck cheap pads on so could they be problem? and if its warped and hence hitting in one spot when turned why is it only braking on outer part of disc as well?

mark.
Old 20 August 2007, 03:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

New pads shouldn't only brake on half a disc!

I wouldn't have thought a wheel bearing could warp a disc either
Old 20 August 2007, 04:23 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I know brake pads should brake on more then half a disc-as i say swapped sides with the pads at weekend and they brake ok on other side yet the disc on drivers side is still making squeeking noise in one spot when i turn wheel by hand so i can only think disc is warped as well?
Old 22 August 2007, 09:41 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
On a mondeo mk 2- A few weeks ago i had the bearing on front drivers side changed as it was making a noise-during it being changed the garage found the brake pads had seperated from its backing so had new brake pads put on as well-since then when at low speed as in reversing in car park i get a squeeling noise coming from that wheel-jacked car up and when i turn wheel by hand in one place it rubs against brake pads and makes said noise-also the brake pads instead of braking over whole surface now on outside of that wheel only brake on outer part of disc-took it back to garage he said its just the pads wearing in-but done a couple hundred mile now and still same-so this weekend i swapped pads round to other wheel and still doing it-so question,- as far as i know before bearing was done my disc was ok as its only done approx 8000 miles ( but they was only cheap ones)could a worn wheel bearing have warped a disc? as i dont wanna replace discs if its not problem, just wondering as i know garage only stuck cheap pads on so could they be problem? and if its warped and hence hitting in one spot when turned why is it only braking on outer part of disc as well?

mark.
Sounds like you need the disk skimmed (if its still thick enough). Knackered old pads have probably worn it unevenly.

HTH
Old 22 August 2007, 10:16 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

if the wheel bearing was that nackered it could have heated the disk up more than usual and heated up evan further when you were using your brakes! this would result in a disk warping!
Old 22 August 2007, 10:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

To the OP ....... yes
Old 23 August 2007, 08:36 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Thank you for all replies-looks like i need a new disc then as i guess skimming one be dearer then buying new