Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 8 MR or Scooby WR1??????

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2007, 09:02 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 8 MR or Scooby WR1??????

Has anyone owned either of these cars!!! Been looking on Pistonheads and have seen quite a few Evo 8 MR and Scooby WR1 near the £18k mark, and was opinions on what there like peformance wise and your views on these cars!!!

Im swaying more to the Evo 8 MR as there seem to be a lot more that have been modified to the 400bhp mark where as most the WR1's are near enough standard and I would'nt want to spend loads of money on taking a WR1 near to 400bhp, because Id be all spent out buying the car in the first place!!!!
Old 13 July 2007, 09:50 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Would you not consider a Spec C ????
Old 13 July 2007, 07:48 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Yeah I would consider a Spec C just been browsing the WR1's and the Evo 8 MR at the moment, its just that the I like the colour of the WR1(sound like a girl) and the fact that you know its a WR1 when you see one, and that its in limited numbers of 500,the only thing that puts me off a little is that a 05 Sti PPP would be just as good but can be bought cheaper, and with spending that sort of money on a car, I want a car that I can keep for a few years and not having to go over board with mods if possible so stage 1 mods will all I be doing(exhaust, filter, remap)!!!!

One thing that I like more about the WR1 is that the running costs should be a lot better then the Evo, Having owned a Evo VII i was shocked at how expensive it can be compared to a scooby!!!

What sort of power can be achived with a full decat and a ecutek remap on a WR1???

Should have put this in General as im talking about scoobys more then Evo's!!!!!
Old 14 July 2007, 08:53 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I had a WR1 for a couple of years .Superb car .Kept it standard to be honest so cant advise on more power etc.
It always attracted attention driving down the street,and it sounded great when you buried the loud pedal .!!!

Never really fancied the EVO,s .Have heard they are more expensive to keep ,run etc.
Old 14 July 2007, 11:18 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth decatting the WR1 for the simple reason that you wont really gain any more power because of the sports cat but 316bhp is not to be sniffed at
A JDM Sti may be an alternative, more power out of the box, slightly lighter, more goodies etc, no burble though, but if your also contemplating an Evo it must not be top of your list
But for out and out drivability (and these are great fun ) id pick this
Subaru : Impreza Spec C WR Limited

Tony
Old 14 July 2007, 08:43 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Just my two pennies worth

1 questions what are you buying it for every day use or weekends only ?

Weekend play thing – then there is only one winner the Evo….

Every day car to & from work & shops etc….then WR1…..

2) Keep standard or Mod

Mod = Evo is much cheaper to mod up to 400+ BHP

Keep in standard form – then I would choose the WR1….
Old 14 July 2007, 09:50 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

The WR1 has been slated in the past because it understeers worse than almost every other Impreza. Top Gear had a right royal go at it. The MR FQ range is pretty special, especially in the dark grey or red. I too love the WR1 and was in the same situation a few months back, and finally chose the MR due to the whole package, but in the end decided to keep my P1 and very happy that I did
Old 14 July 2007, 09:58 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Total no question for me.

If they were sat in front of you and could take either, you would be mad to go for the WR1. Its overpriced when you could go for a JDM STi instead, and get better colour choice.

Put a Spec C there and I would be a bit more confused though.
Old 14 July 2007, 10:01 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

I actually think the WR1 stands out more than any other Impreza (> Classic) and prefer the colour to any other. Really love it to be honest.

If it was the complete package, though, then the Spec C, Type 25 and JDM STi certainly come in to it.
Old 16 July 2007, 07:57 PM
scooby595
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

putting a sensible hat on. What are the running costs over a period of, say, 3 years ? I know it's not something we all think of, but isn't an Evo every 3k miles or something ?

I love the WR1, can spot one from way off. If it were my money (and if it was I might not be saying this) I'd have an Evo. Not quite as (sorry scoobie owners) common, easy to tune, and just a bit more aggressive.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love it !!

Steve