Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi S3 advice please :)

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2007, 12:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Audi S3 advice please :)

Anyone shed some light on Audi S3s for me?

I'm looking into various options as to my next car and the top three are all Audi - S3/S4/ RS4.

There seems to be a few different S3 versions but seems quite hard to tell them apart.

One questions is if the car is a 210 and has been mapped to say 260 - does that negate the 225 models or can the 225 models be mapped further without opening up the engine.

What difference are there for the facelifts?

Is haldex rubbish and what does it mean if the car has a Haldex controller?

Thanks
Old 11 July 2007, 04:10 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in a 210 model tuned to about 270 bhp and it did seem fairly quick.

In truth they should both be very tunable being turbo motors but if you have the choice surely it has to be the RS4 (no brainer for me ), wish I could get one of these
Haven't driven one but have never heard a bad word about them

Go get one right now . I really like the S4 as well and that 4.2lt V8

On the haldex front, I never had any issues with my mk IV R32, quite the opposite in fact, it was an awesome machine. I have heard it critised by others but then this system isn't meant to be like a scooby or evo. I found in poor weather the car would launch, so to speak, without wheel spin and was great fun going into roundabouts when the nose starts to slide and then the haldex system kicked in. When I sold the car it had covered almost 50k without issue for me, it had 19k on it when I bought it. I did have to replace those huge front discs though, had to stay in that night
Old 11 July 2007, 04:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

As far as I am aware, all VAG cars have a sticker in the boot with various bits of info including the engine power, which is helpful when buying a 'PD' model but you will know whether it is a 225/210 by this.

Here is mine on my old Golf 3 1.9d

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/IMG_1790.jpg

P.S My mate had a 210. He kept it standard for the 4 year's he had it. No complaints from him - just don't mention the E46 Clubsport he replaced it with
Old 11 July 2007, 04:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason all the insurance quotes I get for RS4s are lower than S4s - guess its a claims thing.

I would love an RS4 but can't get near the £20K needed for a decent one. 10K I can do with comfort and a bit spare for emergency repairs.

S4s I've driven (2.7 Bi) and was as quick as my Impreza to 100 then it would eat my scoob alive once gearing became an issue. High running costs I must say and not too far behind the RS IMO.

S3 I like but doesn't really suit our needs as 2+1. Same for RS Focus I looked at too.

I could hold out for an RS4 but would be looking at 12 months of cheaper runners while I save.
Old 11 July 2007, 04:24 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

210 and 225 models both remap to the same figures 260ish.

You can tell whether it is a 210 or 225 from the sticker in the boot, in the spare wheel well, its rated in Kw but think one is 156 and the other 165. (there is also sometimes a sticker on the B pillar passenger side)

All S3's will have the haldex and haldex controller, you may find some that have an after market haldex controller which instead of letting the clever electronics sort out the power distribution its always 50:50.

Facelifts started to come in around 2001, really easy to tell pre-facelift has two piece front lights and the post have one piece, other changing include completely new centre console, much nicer looking. New style S badges, rear lights with white section, and i think thats it for major cosmetic changes there was also suspension changes and other bits and pieces.

The facelift and engine change never happened together, the facelift cam in early 2001 and the engine change late 2001 (november i think) but youll find cars older than this with the old engine due to standing stock etc.

Hope that helps
Old 11 July 2007, 04:26 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
S3 I like but doesn't really suit our needs as 2+1. Same for RS Focus I looked at too.
If your going to be using the rear seats alot i completely agree with this, the full leather heated recaro's are amazing seats but they are so bulky it makes access to the rear much harder.
Old 11 July 2007, 04:42 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NWMark
If your going to be using the rear seats alot i completely agree with this, the full leather heated recaro's are amazing seats but they are so bulky it makes access to the rear much harder.
I've seen people with baby seats in S3s but ours is nearly 6 so she needs a bit of space and I'm just shy of 6ft so need the leg room.

I like S4s, they tick the right boxes but repair bills sound a little steep and look a little bland after a classic spoilered up Impreza
Old 11 July 2007, 06:36 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

There is minimal difference with the 210 and 225 as most of the 210's when put on a RR came out to around 225 anyway.

Another way to tell the which model is it is to open the bonnet and look for the 3 letter engine code.
AMK is the 210 and BAM is the 225 version but like its been said before they both remap to about 260/270 anyway
Old 11 July 2007, 06:38 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

car seats are no problem in the rear, its just getting the kids in and out of them, when i had mine my lad was 7 thru 9 and its about the ideal age really, as there is plenty of room in the back for the kids and you dont have to climb in the back to sort them out at the beginning and end of every journey as he was old enough to do it himself.
Old 11 July 2007, 10:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I have read about that before, it was also said that Audi introduced the S3 as 210 so it didn't detract attention from the 225 TT.
Besides, 15bhp between cars is nothing.
Nik.

[quote=mattbeef;7100855]There is minimal difference with the 210 and 225 as most of the 210's when put on a RR came out to around 225 anyway.
Old 12 July 2007, 02:59 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I've seen people with baby seats in S3s but ours is nearly 6 so she needs a bit of space and I'm just shy of 6ft so need the leg room.

I like S4s, they tick the right boxes but repair bills sound a little steep and look a little bland after a classic spoilered up Impreza
My wife's got an S3 and we have a seat in the back for our 3-yr old. However, we've just discovered that we've got another one on the way, so are selling it to make way for a.....Rav 4 (it's what she wants and whilst she's pregnant, I can't argue )

Top cars though - it's the 210 model and I agree with an earlier comment, the Recaros are a little bulky!
Old 12 July 2007, 10:49 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Edd, I've got a bi-turbo'd S4.

Brilliant car tbh. I would totally agree about the bland-ness in comparison to the Scoob.

HOwever, I much prefer this - makes the scalping so much more satisfying!!!

I would question the issue about running costs though. Mine doesn't cost anymore than my Scoob did (including a big reduction of over £200 in insurance)....

last service was abuot £200 too

Yes, the only potential scare is the turbos (2 to go instead of one!) - big bill of a few £K if it goes wrong. BUt they're so cheap to buy now, you can budget for a potential.....

However, the torque is astounding, as is the ability to "make progress"!! The Scoob was more larey, but the Audi is more capable, but definitely more refined.

I'm looking at an RS4 Avant next, or a V8 S4....... v impressed with my year of ownership so far. 8yr old car that drives and is built like new.... says it all really

Dan