Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Performance Hatch for my mum...

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 05:25 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Hatch for my mum...

..shes decided that she might buy a new car this year, and given her tastes I threw up a few suggestions..

Corsa VXR
207 GTI
Cooper S
Fiesta ST
Clio

Out of those I think we've ditched the Cooper (probably not enough boot space for her wheelchair), the Fiesta ST.. (because I pointed out it was the slowest of the bunch.. "don't want that one then"!), and the Clio (at my suggestion - oldest chassis and going by what Evo magazine said..).

Have I missed any potentials before she starts thinking about booking test drives?

Currently her favourite without driving it is the Corsa (and its my favourite too.. as much as I hate to admit it!).
Old 29 June 2007, 05:33 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

All of those on the list are so so in one way or another? Whats the budget? I also presume she will want a reliable car, as wouldnt want her to get stranded.
Old 29 June 2007, 05:42 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Why have you ditched the Clio sport ?, I think it looks quite nice, good performance, Brembo brakes and a five-star NCAP crash-test result must make it worth looking at and Evo's online review gave it 4.5/5.
Also have you had a look at the Seat's ? or what about looking for a 2nd hand Focus ST 3.
Old 29 June 2007, 05:42 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't discard the clio for it's chassis! It's a great little car, handles well too (certainly better than the corsa).

I would discard the Vauxhall for it's image alone.

To be honest, I like the Fiesta ST as long as you aren't too bothered about speed. Looks nice and is a 'solid' car. I test drove one and quite liked it but it was just a tad too slow.
Old 29 June 2007, 05:51 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Attu
Why have you ditched the Clio sport ?, I think it looks quite nice, good performance, Brembo brakes and a five-star NCAP crash-test result must make it worth looking at and Evo's online review gave it 4.5/5.
Also have you had a look at the Seat's ? or what about looking for a 2nd hand Focus ST 3.

NCAP is a joke, the french always do well in those as they specifically engineer their cars to meet the standards that ncap crash scenarios ask of them.
Old 29 June 2007, 06:25 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

NCAP is a joke, the french always do well in those as they specifically engineer their cars to meet the standards that ncap crash scenarios ask of them.
Isn't that the point?

Other well performing 'french' cars include the Focus, bmw 1 series , toyota corolla lol
Old 29 June 2007, 07:01 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saphcos
I would discard the Vauxhall for it's image alone.
She's 62 - I don't really think she cares what anyone else would think.

As far as the Leon's go, in a scale of usable performance vs. price, I don't think they are worth the money as a new purchase.

Although I appriciate that the Corsa isn't the best handling in its class (both the 207 and the Cooper S are better for a start), it'll handle the Tesco Circuit, and she is hardly going to be heading to the 'ring in it.

So basically after - small, quick, easy to park, nice to be in, as well spec'ed as a small car can be, enough room in the boot for a collapsed wheelchair and sub-17k with option boxes ticked.

Normally I'd have steered her away from a new car, but I think she's after something to keep until she decides to give up driving. As for something less performance orientated - I really don't think I could convince my mother to get into a Ford Fusion.
Old 29 June 2007, 08:54 PM
jespin
Scooby Regular

What always makes me laugh is the 'discount the Vauxhall purely for the image' statements.... ok it's not a prestige marque but do Seat, Renault, Peugeot or dare I say.... Subaru really have that much better an image?
Old 29 June 2007, 10:32 PM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

Yes, I would say they do have a better image. I hesitate to say it but Vauxhalls come across as a bit 'council estate'. It pains me to say that coming from a council estate myself.

They have got a chav image, more so than the other marques. I've got to say it wouldn't put me off if the car was good enough though but in this case I don't think it is.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:44 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saphcos
Yes, I would say they do have a better image. I hesitate to say it but Vauxhalls come across as a bit 'council estate'. It pains me to say that coming from a council estate myself.

They have got a chav image, more so than the other marques. I've got to say it wouldn't put me off if the car was good enough though but in this case I don't think it is.

LOL so it's not just me who associates Vauxhalls with council estates. If you have a few bob to spend , why not look at a MKV Golf GTI ? Decent boot ( for her wheel chair and golf clubs ) . Good looking understated hot hatch with an air of quality about it.
Old 30 June 2007, 02:16 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Because mainly, the Golf is terrible value for money.

The reason why 99% of us drive Imprezas is because they give performance that otherwise we would need to spend £60,000+ to get.

Why spend £20,000 on a car with worse spec, and the same performance, as you can buy a £16,500 Vauxhall for.

I'm actually quite a snob, but that sort of statement really pisses me off. In all likelyhood, none of us can afford a Porsche or Ferrari, does that mean we're doomed to drive around in base level 1.6 Ford Focuses our entire lives?

Get a ****ing grip. Judge a car on its merits, not on its badge, just as you judged the Impreza on its merits. No-one with any sense would buy one because of their looks - classic or otherwise. You buy it because of its performance vs. practicality vs. value for money.

Anyone who is swayed by the badge on the front of a car is an utter retard, and has no place behind the wheel of ANY performance car, be it a Suzuki Swift or a Ferrari Enzo.

The sooner many on this board realise that the better.

If you don't - go buy a ****ing BMW and do us all a favour.

Last edited by Prasius; 30 June 2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:41 AM
saphcos
Scooby Regular

Like I say, it wouldn't put me off if the car was good enough. I used to have a Saxo VTS. Terrible image, great car.

If you don't want certain factors included in the choice let us know.

How about a Skoda VRs? Pretty fast, tough, good value and plenty of room.

Last edited by saphcos; 30 June 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both the 207 and the cooper s share the same engine (1.6ltr twin scroll) you have the corsa VXR which is meant to be a real stormer the renault.... let down by dealers and reliability issues though not a bad car.
As per any potential purchase, go out and test drive have a bit of fun

Tony
Old 30 June 2007, 10:14 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I really shouldn't leave the computer logged on when I go out, come back in, and then decide to post at 2.16am

Cheers for no-one going mental at my drunken post though!

Skoda VRs - I didn't even think about that.. must go check it out.

I think she'll go have a look at the Cooper, but I'd be amazed if she can get the chair into that
Old 30 June 2007, 12:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius

The reason why 99% of us drive Imprezas is because they give performance that otherwise we would need to spend £60,000+ to get.

Why spend £20,000 on a car with worse spec, and the same performance, as you can buy a £16,500 Vauxhall for.

Leon Cupra. Costs the same as a WRX impreza, but is faster, more powerful, most likely safer and has a better image. Cheaper to insure and has a better interior. So why do people buy the WRX?

Id just go for the Leon Cupra. Cheap, powerful, massive boot, cracking bucket seats and safe. Job done
Old 30 June 2007, 01:43 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The Leon Cupra is £19,500 list price and the wrong size!

I drive the previous model Leon Cupra (not R) at work fairly regulary, the chassis is horribly compromised, and never makes me feel confident that it is fully capable of handling the power thats available. I sincerely hope the current Cupra inspires more confidence.

If you used the Ibiza as an example then it would have been a little more useful, but the current Ibiza is hardly a benchmark hot hatch.

Either way, your continual love affair with anything from VAG does make me take your opinions with a pinch of salt.

Should have mentioned to Tony - one of the other reasons I've suggested looking away from the Clio is reliability issues; experienced due to one of my best mates having a Clio Cup that went to and from the dealership all the time. Terrible shame really because it was such a blinding little car (although made me need a chiropractor everytime I went out in it.. )
Old 30 June 2007, 01:58 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having a 206gti180 for 3 months i'd never buy another pug again - problem after problem (especially electrics) so i'd rule out the 207gti

i had a fabia VRS for 6 months - chipped it, full lether retrim (there are pics on this forum somewhere) - quick, 55+mpg, group 9 insurance, understated (so you can park it without worrying)

If a cooper is shortlisted then wait for the traveller version - extra door on o/s which will make it easier to access rear seat, opening rear door for easier loading of wheelchair
Old 30 June 2007, 02:05 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Woops I meant the Leon FR. Has the 2.0T engine with 200hp. Available for 15k nice and safe
Old 30 June 2007, 03:54 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
After having a 206gti180 for 3 months i'd never buy another pug again
Although it was universally slated as being an **** car We've had quite a few Citroens in the family over the years, so not averse to buying French - have to say that the interior in the 207 didn't strike me as being as nice as the Vauxhall, but then that shouldn't really come as any surprise.

I didn't realise they were going to be doing a traveller; any idea when its due out/cost? As that could be a serious contender. I'd love for her to get the Cooper S but I know its simply not practical.

I might suggest the Leon FR though
Old 30 June 2007, 08:48 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

I'm actually quite a snob, but that sort of statement really pisses me off. In all likelyhood, none of us can afford a Porsche or Ferrari, does that mean we're doomed to drive around in base level 1.6 Ford Focuses our entire lives?

Get a ****ing grip. Judge a car on its merits, not on its badge, just as you judged the Impreza on its merits. No-one with any sense would buy one because of their looks - classic or otherwise. You buy it because of its performance vs. practicality vs. value for money.

Anyone who is swayed by the badge on the front of a car is an utter retard, and has no place behind the wheel of ANY performance car, be it a Suzuki Swift or a Ferrari Enzo.

The sooner many on this board realise that the better.

If you don't - go buy a ****ing BMW and do us all a favour.
Oh dear. Calm down son before you have a heart attack. I can sense the veins bulging out of your forehead as you type that.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:49 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

I really shouldn't leave the computer logged on when I go out, come back in, and then decide to post at 2.16am

Cheers for no-one going mental at my drunken post though!

Skoda VRs - I didn't even think about that.. must go check it out.

I think she'll go have a look at the Cooper, but I'd be amazed if she can get the chair into that
LOL ok that explains the last post. You really don't like VW's do you
Old 30 June 2007, 10:35 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Its not that I don't like VW/Audi cars honest! - I do think they're quite a lot of money for what they are, and a bit.. German.. ... ... Dull.

They are very good at making good solid performance cars.. but they're hardly something you can get excited about and fall in love with. To take it to the extreme of example - Evo's R8/911/DB9 test the other month. The R8 may be technically impressive, faster, and all those measurable, precise, exact, engineer-able things. But there isn't the passion, romance, excitement that you have in various amounts with the 911 and DB9. I know its the slowest, but I'd have a DB9 out of those 3 because its the one I'd look at everyday and just appreciate how beautiful it is just looking out of the window. Sure, I could crawl under the R8 (if its on ramps obviously!) and appriciate the exact design of the rear suspension but its hardly the same thing is it?!

It doesn't matter how good VW's and Audi's are at the moment - the sad fact is that they are just simply boring.

I'd rather have a flawed car that I loved, than a perfect car with no soul.
Old 30 June 2007, 11:24 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

Its not that I don't like VW/Audi cars honest! - I do think they're quite a lot of money for what they are, and a bit.. German.. ... ... Dull.

They are very good at making good solid performance cars.. but they're hardly something you can get excited about and fall in love with. To take it to the extreme of example - Evo's R8/911/DB9 test the other month. The R8 may be technically impressive, faster, and all those measurable, precise, exact, engineer-able things. But there isn't the passion, romance, excitement that you have in various amounts with the 911 and DB9. I know its the slowest, but I'd have a DB9 out of those 3 because its the one I'd look at everyday and just appreciate how beautiful it is just looking out of the window. Sure, I could crawl under the R8 (if its on ramps obviously!) and appriciate the exact design of the rear suspension but its hardly the same thing is it?!

It doesn't matter how good VW's and Audi's are at the moment - the sad fact is that they are just simply boring.

I'm not sure how old you are, at a guess I would say late 20's / early 30's . You will hit a time in your life when having the fastest car on the road isn't the most important thing but you want something with style, class and a certain amount of performance. VW's and Audis offer this, along with strong residual values. You will see the light in a few years my son.
Old 01 July 2007, 08:39 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

All the older ladies I know have Honda Civics and love them, the new one even manages to be funky.
Old 01 July 2007, 03:08 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

in last weeks Auto express (on sale until this weds) there's a feature on the Mini Travaller (or whatever it's now going to be called), they say a cooper version is also comming out.
found this on the AE site - MINI Traveller News | MINI Car News & Reviews | New MINI Cars | MINI News
Old 01 July 2007, 04:01 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Funny that cause in reports where the R8 wasnt the fastest all the testers said they still would have the audi because it looked the best, was so much fun to drive and was unique
Old 01 July 2007, 04:05 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

..shes decided that she might buy a new car this year, and given her tastes I threw up a few suggestions..

Corsa VXR
207 GTI
Cooper S
Fiesta ST
Clio

Out of those I think we've ditched the Cooper (probably not enough boot space for her wheelchair), the Fiesta ST.. (because I pointed out it was the slowest of the bunch.. "don't want that one then"!), and the Clio (at my suggestion - oldest chassis and going by what Evo magazine said..).

Have I missed any potentials before she starts thinking about booking test drives?

Currently her favourite without driving it is the Corsa (and its my favourite too.. as much as I hate to admit it!).

hi bud, what about fabia vrs. makes good torque low down !