Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan 200SX

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 11:59 AM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone own (or has anyone owned) a Nissan 200SX (1994 onwards)? What are they like ot drive? They seem like great value for money for a 197bhp sub-7 seconds car, often with low mileage, so what's the catch?
Old 28 December 2001, 12:18 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

I test drove one about 18 months ago (2nd hand) - IIRC it was standard yet near 200bhp...and RWD...scared the salesman sh1tless ... nearly every roundabout in St Albans was tackled sideways...hehehe <not that I would condone such behaviour on public roads>
Old 28 December 2001, 12:21 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Question

Of course not...

How would you rate it as an acceptable alternative to the Scooby for a couple of grand less?
Old 28 December 2001, 12:50 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Mat
How can I say this without sounding too enthusiastic....GET ONE!
I've never driven a Scoob, the salesmen always laugh at me when I get too close to the showroom, but I'm led to understand that the overall performance is very similar in standard spec, however the driving experience is very different.
The S14a (96&gt is more suited to longer distances as it's considered to be a bit softer than the standard Scoob but being rear wheel drive is a lot of fun, just in a different way.

I love mine, it's slightly rarer than other cars in it's class, it's fast, reliable(touch wood), and there's loads of potential for tuning if you're that way inclined.

Where abouts are you in Essex? You've just missed a Halfway house meet with the guys from the 200SX BBS, check out the forum at http://www.nissan200sx.co.uk/ ,there's also a mint S14a in the for sale section going for an absolute song.
Also check out Dan's car at his site, www.puresx.co.uk for an idea of the tuning potential.

Get yourself a test drive, you won't regret it.

Cheers
Dave
Old 28 December 2001, 01:27 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...tis more than an acceptable alternative to the scoob...dunno why more peeps don't harp on about 'em...
Old 28 December 2001, 01:52 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not sure I'd call Essex a 'Principality'...

Thanks for your help, mate, am off over there now.

Oh, and I'm in Upminster, so if you meant he Halfway House on the A127 (or is the A12), then I'm 15 mins away.

Maz.
Old 28 December 2001, 02:41 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

That's the same half way house alright, apparently it's a bit of a Mecca for car meets in the area.

By the way, most main dealers in the area have a few cars in stock from time to time so you might want to take a look if you're after a test drive.

Dave

*****************Edited due to potentialy libelous content*********
******* Dave I was going to email you prior to editing your post to ask you if you wouldn't mind editing it yourself but I was unable to, due to you not publishing you're email addy. If you wish to discuss this matter then please feel free to mail me at sti6@btinternet.com *******

[Edited by ian/555 - 12/29/2001 9:55:40 AM]

[Edited by DJFish - 12/29/2001 8:54:13 PM]
Old 29 December 2001, 03:40 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I used to have an S13 (pre '94 model 200SX) and I loved it.

The 94 onwards model has more power and is more refined.

Very good value for money, and very cheap to service. My 200SX was only bettered by the Nissan Micra as far as servicing costs were concerned.

If you are getting one get the touring spec model as it has many more extras (leather, CD stacker, etc.).
Old 29 December 2001, 05:01 PM
JB.
Scooby Newbie

Have owned a 200sx for a year now and have to say that it's almost the best car I have owned. Lots of fun, especially in the wet, and very useable for continental trips. It's not the most practical car in the world however and if you regularly carry more than one passenger, forget it
Old 29 December 2001, 08:51 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Ian/555
No problem about your editing my post, I was attempting to give my opinion of the level of service I received from a certain establishment in the loosest possible terms i.e. without naming names etc..
The following text is a complete work of fiction:
Basically, if one were to theroetically ask a person questions about a potential purchase, then find out that the information given was not strictly accurate, that person would be inclined to pass on their opinion of said establishment in an attempt to make others aware of the pitfalls that beset a potential customer.

The end

That had to be ok to post??

Dave

P.S. My first edited post!!!! I must be getting controversial in my old age.

[Edited by DJFish - 12/29/2001 8:56:16 PM]
Old 30 December 2001, 12:34 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Lovely car, used to have one myself until September (when I stacked it into the motorway barrier and it got written off).

Plenty of power; beaten low down by the Impreza, but edges it between 60-100. Fantastically impractical with the world's best upholstered shopping-bag-holders in the back, where a Scoob owner would expect to find seats.

Tail-happy handling catches out the unwary ... especially on a wet Friday morning journey to work http://www.cuyahoga.co.uk/200sx

I've now replaced it with a MY01 WRX after being impressed with my mate's MY00 on a week-long test drive, and being so unimpressed with Nissan GB

Now discontinued so unavailable new, but if you're looking at nearly-new 200's, ignore the dealer demonstrators at all costs ...

[Edited by stu200 - 12/30/2001 12:55:56 AM]
Old 30 December 2001, 01:02 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Ouch!!!
Bad luck stu, That's a real bummer.
Hope you and passenger were both ok, no need to ask about back seat passengers, that's what second cars are for!
What kind of speeds were you doing when you span it?
I don't suppose you know what happened to the car? I'm sure there are one or two folks on the 200 website who'd be happy to pick it's carcass of spare parts.
Cheers
Dave
Old 30 December 2001, 01:39 PM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

T'was indeed somewhat of a bummer

I overcooked it on a damp off-camber bend at the start of the motorway and the back-end started to slide. I corrected with opposite lock, but left my right foot sitting (a little too heavily) on the loud pedal ... just as the back-end got grip again, the turbo spooled up and I was launched into the barrier.

At the initial slide, I was only doing 35mph

Ended up with the motorway closed, 5 cop cars and 1 ambulance ... and a car at least 2 feet shorter than when I started !

The car now belongs to the insurers, in fact I've not seen it since I took the photos in September. All I've got left to sell from it is the mats, a CD caddy, the NATS fob and maybe the centre-console 3-guage set. When I get round to it, I'll put 'em up for grabs on DaveR's board.