93 Aero Hot

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 11:03 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Aero Hot

Anyone ever had one of these,?.

Just got a very high mileage example and very pleased with it for what it cost etc. Not that its bad thing but if feels too quick for a car with 205bhp. They have a factory boost gauge which I guess is a normal vac boost gauge straight of the inlet manifold and the gauge goes from green, to amber to red. On full boost the dial goes all the way in amber and stops just short of red.

Is this normal and what boost do these things run as standard ?.

If you have never had one of these the the above probably don't make allot of sense. And unlikely I will get an answer in a scoob forum but worth a post.

Cheers
Rob
Old 13 June 2007, 11:11 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

put vpower in and it will boost further into red..

they all do that sir and jolly good fun, even though they do handle like a banana
Old 13 June 2007, 11:22 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
put vpower in and it will boost further into red..

they all do that sir and jolly good fun, even though they do handle like a banana
Cheers- If I am running stock boost/power then I am mighty impressed with the car for what it is. Like you say though its a bit of a handful in the twisties and torque steers like a barstuard. But none the less a deciptively powerful fun car. I am putting my faith in it to le-man and back so hopefully it won't let me down. Its done 210K miles and still sweet as a nut. So hopefully it will do another 1K miles with ease.

I have a few bottles of NF at home so will bung that in and see if I can squeeze a few more ponies out of it
Old 13 June 2007, 11:29 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Sure the ecu's seem to adapt pretty quick. I had a 93 SE turbo with 185 BHP and it out dragged civic type R's with ease so there must be lots of mid range torque to drag them along

get the suspension upgraded at Abbot if you intend keeping the car and having a hoot in it.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 13 June 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:09 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Cheers- If I am running stock boost/power then I am mighty impressed with the car for what it is. Like you say though its a bit of a handful in the twisties and torque steers like a barstuard. But none the less a deciptively powerful fun car. I am putting my faith in it to le-man and back so hopefully it won't let me down. Its done 210K miles and still sweet as a nut. So hopefully it will do another 1K miles with ease.

I have a few bottles of NF at home so will bung that in and see if I can squeeze a few more ponies out of it
The boost needle just about going into the red sounds about right.

Check out Abbot's Viggen Rescue Kit to sort out the torque-steer.

Also - it lasting another 1000 miles is a safe bet!

DAC has one on here for sale (may have gone now) with 250 bhp and some goodies.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:34 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The Saab trionic management learns VERY quickly according to collected Web wisdom so get some NF in it and see what it can do

Hope it holds together for you, Saabs are well known for handling interstellar mileages.
Old 13 June 2007, 02:47 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

First person to a million proven miles gets a new saab for free - so I have read somewhere?
Old 13 June 2007, 02:58 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC

DAC has one on here for sale (may have gone now) with 250 bhp and some goodies.
Sent DAC a PM a while ago regarding him potentially splitting the bits on his. If mine is running stock then I hate to imagine what the trionic 250bhp conversion must be like.
Old 13 June 2007, 03:14 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Its amazing really the mileage its done, all Saab history and only owner on log book was Saab themsleves. Now got me on the logbook. So 1 owner from new

Normally you have to verify the mileage is as low as it is. But in this instance because the car feels so sweet with no audible or physical signs of wear other than the obligatory stone chips, I have to keep checking the paperwork and milometer to convince myself that this 200+bhp petrol engine has indeed covered 210K miles.

Just done a oil filter change myself for piece of mind - so all should be good for the trip. But it will likely take a fair bit of stick all the way down and back with the likes of 2xE46 M3's and 911 turbo with 500/500.

Still not convinced its running stock boost, as I test drove a old shape V70T5 2.3turbo and it didn't feel anywhere near as urgent as this 93.

Also had a V40T4 a few years back and from what I remember this is going as good if not better then my T4 after I put a dawes on it.

I have a boost gauge and length of hose so will have to temporarily plumb it into the inlet manifold and see what its boosting. I am guessing they should be boosting around 8-10psi max on the tiny turbo.

Probably best to leave alone with the miles its covered, but if I do have another 40bhp available my petrol head is telling me explore the possibilities

Here she is - Stickers are not staying purely for the event only.

Old 13 June 2007, 03:17 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

That looks really nice!
Old 13 June 2007, 03:43 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Nice mate. Glad to hear the stickers aren't staying!
Old 13 June 2007, 09:10 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

It should peak at about 1bar tops say 13psi. Stage 1 remap (ECU only) might be more like 1.1 to 1.2bar. Normally this is well into the red on the gauge though so sounds stock. Most tuners will pop a sticker on the ECU too.

If you fill up with V power - disconnect tha battery for 5mins to reset and do a forced adaptation. - Floor it in 4th from 2krpm right up to 5k if you can a couple of times.

Chip and exhaust gets you 270bhp and 270ft lbs if you are that way inclined.
Add a bigger I/C and you are at 280bhp /295ftlbs - and that's the peak of the stock turbo. Check a really good upgrade path here:

Maptun Performance

Any problems check it out on these great forums before you part with a penny!

Saabscene
Saab - 900, 9000, 9-3, 9-3SS, 9-2X and 9-5 : Saab Central the site for Saabs
UKSaabs.co.uk :: Index
Old 13 June 2007, 09:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and LPT, bought as a stopgap after 2 disasters (Fiat Coupe turbo and Rover BRM) and its been great, ok it doesnt handle, but bugger me is it fast, no way is it only 150 bhp, must get it on a rolling road, surprised and E46 M3 the other day, Cabrio so may have been taking his curlers out but I booted it and he had to work pretty hard to get past (******* howling), he was looking at it when at the lights looking bemused at the placcy wheel disks.

They dont corner whatever you do but if acceleration between 30 to 120 is your thing, they are great, Civic Type R's and Mini Cooper S's are similar in performance to my LPT.

I drove the standard 2.0 9-3 and it was flat as a fart.

I want to change but I dont want to spend 15k on something that isnt as enjoyable,
going to have to be careful, might even keep it just in case and its worth **** all anyway.

I am earning more now so I can change but I might just chip it instead, its like comfy old slippers now after 2.5 years !
Old 13 June 2007, 10:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone know where to get a Saab remapped in South Manchester or nearby ?
Old 13 June 2007, 11:45 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Decent custom remapping is a bit tricky on Saabs.

For stages 1-3 you are as well going with the mail order based exchange ECUs from the good Swedish tuners - Either Maptun,Nordic or Speedparts.

If you dont plan to go mad then you could just order this PPC upgrage online and spend 10mins loading it up.
Due to the detuned nature of the LPT, an extra 63bhp is sitting waiting for you...

Saab Tuning. BSR Stage 1 PPC Upgrade for Saab 9-3. PU.222-1-PPC

In the UK, there is also Abbott Racing or Saabflight
Old 14 June 2007, 12:08 AM
oreA
Scooby Regular

My understanding is that the earlier 2.0 HOT engines were 200BHP with 300NM torque, then the later Aero 2.0 HOT was 205 BHP but only 280NM. Worth checking out to make sure you get the right ECU upgrade.

I had a 205BHP HOT which was an absoulte blast, the engine was very eager and boosted and revved so freely. Look what I managed with it:

http://www.wildy-online.co.uk/images/Car%20Pix/0-60.jpg

I currently have a 250BHP 2.8T Aero and it's no where near as much fun, and not any quicker either, 'cos boost is limited so much in the first 2 gears.
Old 14 June 2007, 07:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Might go for the PPC but fancied taking it in, dont want to have to explain a 550 quid gadget arriving to the missus !
Old 14 June 2007, 09:10 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Pull a temp sensor - the engine check light will come on. You can then justify needing the £500 'repair'
Old 14 June 2007, 09:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Good idea, might go for it if I get a contract extension (earning plenty but cant spend it !) for a few months but then half of me says, save the 500 quid and put it towards a newer car, to be honest it doesnt really need more straigh line speed, sorting the clonking front suspension should be the priority.
Old 16 June 2007, 02:40 PM
amazingjames
Scooby Regular

a friend had a k plate saab witch was chipped and that was so fast it would do m3's with ease. and it was an auto too. great cars and well worth buying even with high mileage imo.. everything about them is solid. trim panels engine everything.. great cars and verry understated..
Old 17 June 2007, 12:01 AM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Finally got my '96 9K Aero running sweetly and **** me it's fast. Runs about 340-350bhp and 375ft/lbs and in 3rd gear 50-105 its looney - hold on tight - and still gets about 30mpg. Engine is a REALLY tough cookie and full boost comes in at about 2600rpm so very torquey with it. Very underated engines but hardly the coolest of cars either (I know my place . You can run well above 400bhp without touching the internals on the 2.3 if you wish to challenge the gearbox enough....
Even managed a tustle with a new RS4 ... yes I am sure he/she wasnt trying but mucho fun all the same . Love the old barge and will not be parting with it soon.
Old 17 June 2007, 06:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Skinters, Saabs not cool ?

Maybe, but they dont make you look like you are a ****, trying to hard or work at Halfords. considering its basically a Cavalier its a miracle it has any kudos.

How much do you want for your Aero, PM me.
Old 17 June 2007, 08:27 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinters
Finally got my '96 9K Aero running sweetly and **** me it's fast. Runs about 340-350bhp and 375ft/lbs and in 3rd gear 50-105 its looney - hold on tight - and still gets about 30mpg. Engine is a REALLY tough cookie and full boost comes in at about 2600rpm so very torquey with it. Very underated engines but hardly the coolest of cars either (I know my place . You can run well above 400bhp without touching the internals on the 2.3 if you wish to challenge the gearbox enough....
Even managed a tustle with a new RS4 ... yes I am sure he/she wasnt trying but mucho fun all the same . Love the old barge and will not be parting with it soon.
My Volvo 850 with a remap/filter used to tussle with RS4's with only 304hp/310lb/ft
Old 18 June 2007, 02:39 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Well it done its job in with ease to le-man and back so now covered 211K miles. . Still pulling very quickly and was not embarassed as all by the E46 M3's, 500/500 porker, and cobra 6.2ltr. Only critisism of the car is not being able to get the power down and handling is not great. But straight line powerformance for these things are immense and as said above they just love to rev. Hitting the rev limiter is very easy, as with any other car the power starts to drop off up the range so you know to change gear. With the saab the power keeps going until you hit the rev limiter so a bit easy to carried away.

Good car and will defo look into a ECU upgrade although I do feel it would be wasted as you just cant get much more power through the front wheels.

Its done its job well to le-man and was largely brought just for this purpose but might well end up keeping this for a little while now as its a hoot of a car for 2.5-3K. But doubt it will last that long as I never manage to keep a car for long no matter how good it is.

Definately don't underestimate these cars even in stock form.

Here a few more pic of the old girl now I have taken the le-man stickers off.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 20 June 2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: ..
Old 18 June 2007, 03:36 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Looks great!! Bargain. Are you SURE it's not modded? Sounds pretty perky!! Get that peak boost checked before you splash out on a remap....
Old 18 June 2007, 09:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Looks great!! Bargain. Are you SURE it's not modded? Sounds pretty perky!! Get that peak boost checked before you splash out on a remap....
I quite fancy rolling roading mine as it feels more 170 bhp than 150, the do have a reputation for producing more than standard.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:34 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

No obvious point to pick up on a point from the inlet manifold - but will have a play this weekend and hook up the boost gauge and see what its doing. Then go from there. Relative to the price of the car £550 on the PPC is allot to spend.

I did try plumbing in a dawes at one stage, but the ECU just kept getting its knickers in a twist and going into safe mode once it saw boost over standard.