Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf Versus Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2007, 02:03 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf Versus Honda Civic

Looking at getting either a Golf or Civic.

Needs to be diesel so looking at the Golf GT TDi with DSG and the Civic 2.2d.

Have test drives arranged for tomorrow but any thoughts appreciated.

Pros/Cons

Golf better looking externally but Civic better inside (subjective I know)

Civic cheaper - I need Sat Nav and it is standard on the 5 door model I am looking at

Civic better MPG on paper - not sure in the real world

Golf has option of automatic - I really like the DSG

any other options (outside of A3 which i have already had)
Old 17 March 2007, 09:55 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Only comment I've heard on the civic was that it drank diesel big time. You may want to check it out.
Old 18 March 2007, 02:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Eh, where did you hear that from?

We've had our Civic for 6 weeks or so now, and its superb. Average around 44mpg during town driving, but will easily make 55-60mpg on a run. We recently drove a 120 mile round trip from here to York, all A/B roads and I wasn't taking it easy either - had a race with a lad in a Cooper S at one point and he couldn't get past, i.e. for some of the journey I was at full chat. We managed 57.8mpg on that trip.

I would imagine a motorway trip would take it over 60mpg average.

We tested a Golf, BMW 1, Focus, and the Civic - for us the Civic was so much better in every way to the others that we bought it there an then.

Brilliant interior, easy to drive, quick enough for a diesel, cheap tax (£110 a year) and cheap insurance, circa £300 FC in my wifes name with 6 years NCB.

Brilliant car for the money and so much better inside than the lame Golf, nicer engine as well IMO.

Try Civinfo - Honda Civic Forum for more details.
Old 18 March 2007, 03:23 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Both,

Having had a look this weekend I am now arranging extended test drives through work...

Choice has changed a little to:

Golf GTI 30 Anniversary Edition DSG
BMW 120d M Sport
Audi TT 2.0 DSG
Honda Civic 2.2 d

Whilst its a company can I don't mind spending a little to get the car I want. The Honda & BWM are considerably cheaper though!

Dream Weaver - which 1 Series did you test? Any more comments on why the Honda was better?

Cheers
Old 18 March 2007, 07:50 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I've just taken delivery of a (non edition 30) Golf gti as my company car. First impressions are really good - pulls like a train from below 2000rpm, but still enthusiastically revs past 6000rpm. Decent grip and handling. Seems well put together.

It's gonna cost you in tax compared to a diesel though - I just couldn't bring myself to order one!
Old 18 March 2007, 07:57 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

golf is a better car methinks
Old 18 March 2007, 10:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cupra, it was the 120D we tested, and we had a 320CD at the time, so it was the same engine - it was very nice to drive, handled well, nice inside, but we were buying a 5 door as we have a kid on the way, and the 1 series just didn't have any space - boot was tiny, and access through the rear doors was abysmal.

I'm not keen on the looks either, we had a black 118D as a courtesy car and it looked like a black cab

It depends what you need the car for I guess, the Civic was so far ahead for us as we need space, easy rear access and family friendly touches - the Civic gave us all this, including a 100 litre bigger boot than the others, the 90 degree opening rear doors, fold up magic rear seats etc. The Golf we tsted, including the Plus model just didn't feel that special.

samcowrx - have you owned or driven either model? What is your experience to give such a detailed review?
Old 19 March 2007, 12:35 AM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

just a golf fan, i have a gt tdi 2001, and a 96 vr6 mk3 love em, the civic is a good car, my opinion is that i would rather have a vw than a honda.
Old 19 March 2007, 06:19 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Dream weaver - thanks for the reply. Always interesting to read real life comments.

The BMW would be only used by me so space not so much an issue (we have an Octavia for general use) assumin OK up front.

Do agree that the 1 series is a little/lot ugly (not so keen on the rear of the Civic either - great inside though). The 3 door looks like it may be better but not sure.

MooseRacer - the Golf would be 100 extra per month over the BMW. Not enough to put me off if the car is much better. I have drive the GTi before and I really liked it(same engine as my Octavia Vrs).
Old 19 March 2007, 06:37 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Cupra - there's a new 1 series out now - 3 or 5 door.

The 120D has 177 hp and nearly 260 lbs/ft of torque.

But its said to be 15% more efficient than the old one.

My 120D Sport is due to get sold on Wednesday, but its been brilliant in the year I've had it. A seriously good car. I'd have another one without hesitation.
Old 19 March 2007, 07:20 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks ///\oo/\\\

I can't see the 3 door on my Company Car list but it is due to be refreshed any time now so hopefully it will appear by the time I make my mind up.

Just need to find out which version I would get if I did order a 5 door (would want Nav and a few other options so hopefully the build time would see me get one of the newer models).

Cheers
Old 19 March 2007, 10:28 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

I can't really see the appeal of a Golf gti if you've got an Octy vrs with the new engine. I've got one myself, and though I've only test driven the equivalent Golf, it's not really that different. I think I'd constantly be asking myself whether it was worth the extra five grand!

But maybe not if it's a company car.

Other options... Focus ST? If you can cope with the image and lack of doors, which I couldn't. I'm guessing you've had a Leon before too?

FWIW, I looked at loads of cars in this class lately (nearly new). I thought the A3 was good but hated the ride; the Golf was my favourite to look at but a bit small in the back and just so overpriced at dealers that I gave up and bought the Skoda.

Didn't try the Civic at all. Wrong engines for me.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:33 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Focus ST? If you can cope with the image and lack of doors, which I couldn't.
The Focus is available with 5 doors. How many doors do you need
Old 19 March 2007, 10:35 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
The Focus is available with 5 doors. How many doors do you need
The ST? Since when? The early line up was 3dr only I thought?
Old 19 March 2007, 10:39 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

The ST? Since when? The early line up was 3dr only I thought?
I`ve a mate with a 5 door ST2, I`m pretty certain they`re all available with 5 doors now. I like it (it`s dark grey so pretty discreet) but drinks petrol at an alarming rate.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:40 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

They are indeed, I've just looked. Unless I've been quite daft, that's a lineup addition from launch.
Old 19 March 2007, 11:13 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

with all the talk of road tax today plus getting a bit fed up putting 70+ a week into the scoob me and the bird did some car hunting.we looked at:

new a3 fastback 170tdi sportline
new gt tdi170 golf
new seat cupra 170 tdi fr

all ok cars but none really floated my boat so we headed back too audi and took a run in the A4 170 tdi sportline,to be honest i think it was best of the bunch plus the one we took for a run had only 500 miles on the clock and could have been bought with a super discount,i know the other's were all new but you seemed to be getting a lot more car for the money with the A4 we test drove.

we thought long and hard on the trip home"well i did,i pay for the car " and to be honest i don't know if i'd be happy with any of them.im just sitting here thinking whats the point of paying up too and more than 20,000 on a so called economy car when you can buy a fabia vrs for under 12,000.......ok it has'nt the prestige of the above but are the other's really that much better and like i said if your after economy why spend the extra money?

i think i will be kepping the scoob and mayby looking for a tidy used vrs and keep it till it falls apart,hopefully many years down the line.
Old 20 March 2007, 07:56 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Ford, Seat & Skoda are not on the Company Car list.

I had a 2.0tdi S Line for 2 years so would prefer something different this time (though I liked the car).
Old 20 March 2007, 09:12 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at all the Surveys. Audi, BMW and VW have really took their eye off the ball.

Honda and Skoda are now setting the standards

Head or heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

It's your choice.
Old 20 March 2007, 10:37 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They are indeed, I've just looked. Unless I've been quite daft, that's a lineup addition from launch.
The 5 door was always in the line up from launch, as we test drove a 5 door ST the week they came out

Cupra - the 1 series had ample room in the front, and if it had better rear room we would have been tempted - my only hate about the car up front was the B posts - if you have your seat right back the B posts sit level with your face, so not only did I have to lean forward at every junction, I kept hitting my shoulders/head every time I got in and out
Old 20 March 2007, 10:43 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The 5 door was always in the line up from launch, as we test drove a 5 door ST the week they came out

Cupra - the 1 series had ample room in the front, and if it had better rear room we would have been tempted - my only hate about the car up front was the B posts - if you have your seat right back the B posts sit level with your face, so not only did I have to lean forward at every junction, I kept hitting my shoulders/head every time I got in and out
Dude - how tall are you
Old 20 March 2007, 11:03 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

6ft tall and 6ft wide

We had the 320 Coup at the time though with mahoosive doors, so I was used to that.
Old 26 March 2007, 03:13 AM
Scrappy08
Scooby Regular

I drove a Civic for a long time, and I'm glad I did. I didn't have any regret.