Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mini GP Edition

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 01:01 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini GP Edition

Thinking about buying one at the weekend. Anyone driven one or has any comments before I take the plunge.

Thanks

AudiH
Old 14 March 2007, 02:27 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Have you seen one?

they look awful. I'd save a few grand and get a Copper S with a works pack and then rip out the back seats if you are so inclined!

Steve
Old 14 March 2007, 02:49 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I particularly like the Bar across the rear of the car. It's there in place of the rear seats and is supposed to be a top bar for the rear suspension, but is mounted at least 12" away from where the top mounts are. Therefore it can only be there for decoration..........
Old 14 March 2007, 03:02 PM
babyface45
Scooby Newbie

try mini2mini forum few peeps on there have got them
Old 14 March 2007, 03:09 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Personally,i would go for the new turbocharged model and have some nice extras put on it,as judging by the residuals of the last model,this one will also hold up very well.

The turbo model is also meant to be more economical than the previous supercharged model,which from my own experience,never bettered 23mpg,and with that sort of economy,there are much better,and quicker cars IMO.
Old 15 March 2007, 01:48 PM
SKYMAN
Scooby Regular

FYI, a mate of mine has the following for sale -

Mini : 750 Miles Only!

Not sure where you are in the Bristol area or whether it is any good for you.
Old 15 March 2007, 02:11 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
I particularly like the Bar across the rear of the car. It's there in place of the rear seats and is supposed to be a top bar for the rear suspension, but is mounted at least 12" away from where the top mounts are. Therefore it can only be there for decoration..........
Spec C rear strut brace isn't mounted across the strut tops but more along the boot floor.
Old 15 March 2007, 03:30 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

They sold really well from our dealership, I've not driven one (not old enough to go on company insurance) but from what I hear they're supposed to be fun. I agree though, the price is a bit laughable.
Old 15 March 2007, 05:47 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Well I quite like the look of them! Totally different to all of the other Minis!

GO FOR IT!
Old 15 March 2007, 07:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like a latter day Rover BRM !
Old 15 March 2007, 07:57 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SKYMAN
FYI, a mate of mine has the following for sale -

Mini : 750 Miles Only!

Not sure where you are in the Bristol area or whether it is any good for you.
Thanks for the info. Bristol is not far for the right car. I am going to test drive the GP and a new Turbo on Saturday so will let you know the comparison. According to Miltek a new Turbo with Sports Cat exhaust puts out 202 BHP so pace wise they will be similar. I can get a new Turbo with all the Options (Bar Sat Nav) for £21k so may well buy new if the test drive is good.

As for £21k I don't class this as a lot of money when you consider the retained value after 3 years. Cheaper than most £20-30K cars over the period.

Thanks all
Old 15 March 2007, 09:39 PM
SKYMAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiHater
Thanks for the info. Bristol is not far for the right car. I am going to test drive the GP and a new Turbo on Saturday so will let you know the comparison. According to Miltek a new Turbo with Sports Cat exhaust puts out 202 BHP so pace wise they will be similar. I can get a new Turbo with all the Options (Bar Sat Nav) for £21k so may well buy new if the test drive is good.

As for £21k I don't class this as a lot of money when you consider the retained value after 3 years. Cheaper than most £20-30K cars over the period.

Thanks all
No problem. Enjoy the test drives, and let me know if you would like to be linked up with my mate. I have seen the car, and it is a very good example; not surprising given the miles. My mate was the new car sales manager at the dealership from which it was supplied.

Cheers,

S
Old 15 March 2007, 09:40 PM
SKYMAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Over £21,000 for a Mini Very amusing
And your point is?
Old 19 March 2007, 08:45 AM
SKYMAN
Scooby Regular

Thanks all
Out of interest, how did you get on?
Old 19 March 2007, 08:58 AM
Deacon
Scooby Regular

Thanks all

Over on MINI2 a number of companies have dynoed the new turbo Copper S and found that as standard they are putting out 195-200bhp so the mods you mention in your post should produce more than 202bhp. Have a look at
Benchmark of R56 Cooper S - MINI2

Deacon
Old 20 March 2007, 02:27 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SKYMAN
Out of interest, how did you get on?
Salesmanager had gone home in the new S so did not get a chance to test drive it but I drove a Old Cooper S and a Cooper S works. Found the S way to underpowered but the Works was a hoot to drive. Other half came with me and she now wants a Works soft top. Want the GP but have to do what I'm told
Old 20 March 2007, 03:06 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Salesmanager had gone home in the new S so did not get a chance to test drive it but I drove a Old Cooper S and a Cooper S works. Found the S way to underpowered but the Works was a hoot to drive. Other half came with me and she now wants a Works soft top. Want the GP but have to do what I'm told
The difference between the old and new Cooper S is light and day in terms of performance, economy, handling and ride - the new one is vastly improved and reputedly puts out closer to 200bhp than the 174bhp claimed by BMW. This gets you close to the GP's figures and a gently remap would surpass it, should you wish to do so.

Personally, I feel those figures are a little bit toppy but the manufacturers figures are pessimistic as confirmed by the seat of the pants feel.

The MINI has several flaws, packaging being one of them so I'd suggest that you overrule your other half because a soft top MINI is a complete waste of space, not only suffering scuttle shake but practically losing the boot space as well.
Old 20 March 2007, 04:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Shame you don't want a regular Cooper. My friend is flogging his for very good money. Only got low miles in Blue with chili pack, stripes and spotlights. Also has BMW warrantee and service whatsit on it.

He's a mini-enthusiast but needs to buy a house!!

Dan
Old 20 March 2007, 05:00 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Obviously, that it's a complete rip off
Nat, I'm tempted to agree with you but the residuals help enormously and if this model holds its value as well as the last one then its a reasonable 'investement'.

You'd be amazed how easily it is to spec some of these smaller cars well into the £20k price bracket.
Old 21 March 2007, 04:32 PM
KostaJCW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Nat, I'm tempted to agree with you but the residuals help enormously and if this model holds its value as well as the last one then its a reasonable 'investement'.

You'd be amazed how easily it is to spec some of these smaller cars well into the £20k price bracket.
I own a late 2006 Cooper, and that was specced to £18k (Got a bit giddy with the option list - typical BMW, give you nothing, charge the earth for anything)

The new Cooper S is too easy to spec well into the £20k bracket to get one with just a half decent spec.

I am a member of several MINI forums and there are a few horror stories knocking around about the new model. Audio systems, gearboxes, bottom end rattles, panel gaps etc.

I've decided to better myself anyway, and get a Scoob around Summer time
Old 21 March 2007, 04:59 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've heard similar scare stories but the only issues we've experienced is the slight screeching when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Fingers crossed, this R56 has done 7k without suffering from any of the aforementioned problems.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:33 PM
KostaJCW
Scooby Regular

Hopefully you got one of the good ones then
Old 23 March 2007, 10:59 AM
Scrappy08
Scooby Regular

It looks pretty good, but I don't think the cost justifies the features.