Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

2004 04 Reg MG ZR 1.4 105 - Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2007, 01:14 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 04 Reg MG ZR 1.4 105 - Any good?

A mate is looking for a new car, and has seen one of these available at a price that suits.

Questions - are they reliable? Are parts a problem now Rover is dead?

Any one driven or owned one that has an opinion?

Much appreciated.
Old 13 February 2007, 02:41 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

If you let us know the price, mileage, condition and where he is buying it from (private sale or dealer) then you'll get more helpful replies.
Old 13 February 2007, 02:51 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

you will have trouble getting parts, and rovers are ****e. Wouldnt touch with a poo stick.
Old 13 February 2007, 02:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They handle suprisingly well and cost naff all to run and buy.
I can think of worse "warm hatch" options.
Old 13 February 2007, 02:55 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

..and there's a huge parts network called xparts, in most cities..
Old 13 February 2007, 02:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

its not even a warm hatch. Warm hatches have 150hp, not 100.
Old 13 February 2007, 02:59 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
its not even a warm hatch. Warm hatches have 150hp, not 100.
Ignore AudiLover. Parts are widely available, the car is cheap to run and good to drive. It all comes down to the deal you are getting.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:02 PM
jem86mat87
Scooby Regular

my girlfriend had one before changing to the scoob, quick little 1.4 thing, if you can get the trophy edition as these have better suspension and half leather, as for parts and reliablity, she had hers a year and nothing was wrong, not even a rattle, and parts are easy to come by if you know the right people!
Old 13 February 2007, 03:05 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Ignore AudiLover. Parts are widely available, the car is cheap to run and good to drive. It all comes down to the deal you are getting.
Dont listen to this moron. Rovers are unreliable and we had a member on this forum that was sayin he had difficulty getting parts, and even in the national newspapers there were articles about people not being able to get parts.

theres a reason why MG rover went under you know
Old 13 February 2007, 03:11 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Dont listen to this moron. Rovers are unreliable and we had a member on this forum that was sayin he had difficulty getting parts, and even in the national newspapers there were articles about people not being able to get parts.

theres a reason why MG rover went under you know
OK, AudiLover. Put your money where your mouth is. If I can find a major source of spares for an MG ZR in the next 24 hours then you give £1000 to charity.

Do you also base all your motoring information on the "experience" of one internet forum member and the national press? When was the last time the newspapers published anything accurate about motoring?
Old 13 February 2007, 03:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Blueblaster - AL is simply the king of the cut and paste.

It appears that despite his "love" for Audi, he's only driven an old Audi 80.
It also appears that he hasn't driven a single performance car EVER yet thinks he's an authority on them.

It's all quite funny really and I think he was put on this Earth for us to all laugh at.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:31 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

you will have trouble getting parts, and rovers are ****e. Wouldnt touch with a poo stick.
I dont believe you. I know the seller and quite a few dealer / mechanics in the trade, parts are available from many many places.

even in the national newspapers there were articles about people not being able to get parts.
So it must be true then?

Im after honest opinions from people who have owned the car.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:34 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

If you let us know the price, mileage, condition and where he is buying it from (private sale or dealer) then you'll get more helpful replies.
Its good nick, low miles, 1 owner. Dealer sale.

I dont want to start posting prices because that deters from the real question, what are these cars like to drive / own?
Old 13 February 2007, 03:35 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Ryo, we have an MGTF 160. Had it from new in '05 and has been faultless. It is essentially just a bored out version of the 105 engine with a different head on it. The key really is the price. We got 8 grand off the list price and are very happy.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ryo - I used to post on these a bit - Great bunch of people - Go and have a look.

MG-Rover.org Forums - Powered by vBulletin

-:: MG Forums & Gallery ::- - Powered by vBulletin

The MG ZS180 is a massively underrated car I reckon.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:40 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol you can get parts for MG rovers, just not every part. Some parts are easy to acquire, others are a nightmare.

Just go ask on a mG Rover forum if you dont believe me.

Remember, MG Rover went out of business for a reason. They made **** cars
Old 13 February 2007, 03:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi, you are a pillock sometimes, people can usually get spares fot classic cars that have been out of production for decades, my uncle has a Jowett Jupiter, never heard of it, thought not, only a few thousand were produced in the fifties and he has no bother getting bits so a mass produced hatchback that went out of production 18 months ago is hardly going to be a probem.

They drive quite well, they aren not that fast but a determined driver thrapping 105 bhp out of it will trouble some more expensive kit, they do handle really well, they arent that unreliable, head gaskets are an issue but thats mainly on earlier 1.8's, people skip the maintenance then moan when it goes wrong ?

If its cheap its worth it, even though I quite like them I wouldnt pay a fortune for one, at the end of the day it is an obsolete tarted up shopping car, but I would expect at no more than four grand will have plenty of life in it dispite the doom mongers.

Of course Audi's never ever break down, my father in laws new A4 had to have a new auto box two weeks after delivery and the onboard computer is mental. Its funny how Rover stuf gets slated if it breaks down but if its BMW's, Mercs and Audi's it gets swept under the carpet.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:46 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all the helpful posters, much appreciated.

AudiLover = ****
Old 13 February 2007, 03:47 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

nope!

Never had any trouble getting parts for any of my rovers even since rovers death!

Yes rovers can have issues but what cars dont.

The K unit which is in the one in question can be prone to HGF but my dads 416 tourer has 120k on the clock with no issues. The 1.4 will not set you friend world alight but its quick enough for around town.

I'd get one with FSH and dont skimp of servicing when you own it, warm it up nicely before you rag it and let it cool down afterwards, treat it nice and it will go on for many years to come.

Also try Rovertech.net or something like that.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

J4cko - A good friends Dad runs a big haulage firm and they had a fleet of new A4s - Mostly 2.5TDi Quattros.
They recently binned the lot and changed to Volvos after huge amounts of problems.

Reliability has changed completely in the last five years. Only the thickos haven't realised that a Focus is probably as if not more reliable than a Golf these days.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:53 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Audi, you are a pillock sometimes, people can usually get spares fot classic cars that have been out of production for decades, my uncle has a Jowett Jupiter, never heard of it, thought not, only a few thousand were produced in the fifties and he has no bother getting bits so a mass produced hatchback that went out of production 18 months ago is hardly going to be a probem.

They drive quite well, they aren not that fast but a determined driver thrapping 105 bhp out of it will trouble some more expensive kit, they do handle really well, they arent that unreliable, head gaskets are an issue but thats mainly on earlier 1.8's, people skip the maintenance then moan when it goes wrong ?

If its cheap its worth it, even though I quite like them I wouldnt pay a fortune for one, at the end of the day it is an obsolete tarted up shopping car, but I would expect at no more than four grand will have plenty of life in it dispite the doom mongers.

Of course Audi's never ever break down, my father in laws new A4 had to have a new auto box two weeks after delivery and the onboard computer is mental. Its funny how Rover stuf gets slated if it breaks down but if its BMW's, Mercs and Audi's it gets swept under the carpet.
Someone must have mouldings of the cars parts to fabricate more. However Rover are not makin enough parts for their constantly breakin down vehicles hence people having trouble finding any and having to wait ages for parts to arrive.

Rovers are simple engineering. Nothing should go wrong with them, but yet it does.
Old 13 February 2007, 04:00 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
J4cko - A good friends Dad runs a big haulage firm and they had a fleet of new A4s - Mostly 2.5TDi Quattros.
They recently binned the lot and changed to Volvos after huge amounts of problems.

Reliability has changed completely in the last five years. Only the thickos haven't realised that a Focus is probably as if not more reliable than a Golf these days.
LOL those volvos will have just as many problems. You do know what happens to company cars right? They get ragged, and get next to no maintainace until something serious goes wrong.

Audi dont even make the 2.5tdi anymore either. Cant be that new then can it
Old 13 February 2007, 04:03 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Just imagen my smug feeling knowing my car is more reliable than VW or Audi
Old 13 February 2007, 04:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

LOL those volvos will have just as many problems. You do know what happens to company cars right? They get ragged, and get next to no maintainace until something serious goes wrong.

Audi dont even make the 2.5tdi anymore either. Cant be that new then can it

They had a fleet of Volvos before and they were very reliable.
The Audis were cack.
Old 13 February 2007, 04:08 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

lol you can get parts for MG rovers, just not every part. Some parts are easy to acquire, others are a nightmare.

Just go ask on a mG Rover forum if you dont believe me.

Remember, MG Rover went out of business for a reason. They made **** cars
OK AudiLover. Tell me the name of a part that is really hard to get. Then give me 24 hours to find it. Given the increased difficulty of the challenge you can now donate £10,000 to charity if I find it. You have nothing to fear if you are writing the truth.
Old 13 February 2007, 04:11 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Dont you drive a skoda you ****? They are running VW gear.

F.O.R.D

Fix or repair daily
Old 13 February 2007, 04:14 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

F.O.R.D

Fix or repair daily
Is that comment directed at me? If so, please explain the relevence of the car I drive to this conversation. Also please direct me to the source of information that proves that Ford's need fixing or repairing on a daily basis.
Old 13 February 2007, 04:15 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

F.O.R.D

Fix or repair daily

no need for that! Yes it is VW but then so is Audi but just put together better.

not read your terms that you signed up to person abuse is not allowed!
Old 13 February 2007, 04:27 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fabiavrs
no need for that! Yes it is VW but then so is Audi but just put together better.

not read your terms that you signed up to person abuse is not allowed!
Im sorry it was uncalled for.

Only VW like audi left now is the A4, and A3. (VW dont have a A4 chassied car, but the chassis came from and was also used by VW originally)

A3 chassis also VeeDub.

All other audi's have enough audi DNA in them to be warranted as a audi.
Old 13 February 2007, 05:21 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Is that comment directed at me? If so, please explain the relevence of the car I drive to this conversation. Also please direct me to the source of information that proves that Ford's need fixing or repairing on a daily basis.

People are getting tired of repairing or fixing daily so they are no longer buying fords and its hurting fords finances. Heres the proof.

Ford reports biggest loss in company history

Ford today reported a 2006 full-year net loss of $12.7 billion, or $6.79 per share — the company's worst year in over 100 years of operation. Excluding special items, Ford's 2006 full-year after-tax loss from continuing operations totaled $2.8 billion, or $1.50 per share. This compares to year-ago earnings from continuing operations of $1.9 billion, or $1.00 per share, excluding special items. "Special items" include nearly $10 billion in restructuring efforts and fixed asset impairments.

Full-year sales and revenue for 2006 was $160.1 billion, compared to $176.9 billion a year ago. For the full year, Ford’s worldwide Automotive sector reported a pre-tax loss of $5.2 billion, compared to a pre-tax loss of $993 million a year ago. For the fourth quarter, Ford’s worldwide Automotive sector reported a pre-tax loss of $2.5 billion, compared to a pre-tax loss of $109 million a year earlier.

For 2006, Ford’s North America Automotive operations reported a pre-tax loss of $6.1 billion, compared to a loss of $1.5 billion in 2005. For the year, North America’s sales totaled $69.4 billion, compared to $80.6 billion a year ago. For the fourth quarter, North America Automotive operations reported a pre-tax loss of more than $2.8 billion, compared to a pre-tax loss of $217 million in 2005.

Source: LLN

Quick Reply: 2004 04 Reg MG ZR 1.4 105 - Any good?