Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

DC2 Integra Type R

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 08:17 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC2 Integra Type R

Got the chance of selling my scoob for a very good price. I have MY99 UK Turbo at the moment running 280bhp.
At present, i'm a 50:50 split as to what to do. The only car I would replace the car with, is the dc2 integra.
The first one I went out in, obviously wasn't running right. I knew that when I jumped in another one last week!
Bodywork was tatty, but it gave me a chance to get a feel for the 190bhp VTEC engine. It just keeps on revving!
All in all, I was very impressed. It felt more 'pin-sharp' than the impreza.

I forget all this when I get in the scoob. Apart from a bit of 'piston-slap' when cold, there is nothing wrong with it. Its boosting at 17psi and since I carried out the last service, it feels like a new car! (What a difference castrol syntrax can make!)

I am not interested in mega power, just a car that makes you feel 18 again, everytime you drive it. I have always loved the integra, and now I have my chance to buy a minter for 7K.

Basically... what should I do???
Will I be dissappointed?
Old 08 February 2007, 08:28 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Buy it

And no, you won't be disappointed.

Mine was a brilliant car.

Evo recon its not just the best handling front wheel drive car they have ever tested, but rated it up there as one of the best drivers cars of all time.
Old 08 February 2007, 08:48 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

100% agree with that very very sharp car, the V tec just howls at 5800 rpm through to 8000rpm.

Had one for nearly 4 years which was this.....

Still miss it

let me see if I can find the info I had on it back in a bit

Found a WMV file of a top gear test dont know how to stick on here so PM me yr e mail & i'll send it over if you want.

Last edited by Smudga; 08 February 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08 February 2007, 08:56 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I am not interested in mega power, just a car that makes you feel 18 again, everytime you drive it. I have always loved the integra, and now I have my chance to buy a minter for 7K.

Basically... what should I do???
Will I be dissappointed?
Try a TRD M Sport Celica before you make up your mind? 200bhp and very similar
Old 08 February 2007, 09:04 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Heres some stuff... you might have to resister on the site first though??

http://www.itr-dc2.com/resource/pc_itr_rev.pdf

http://www.itr-dc2.com/resource/integra_ad.mpg

http://www.itr-dc2.com/resource/evo_itr_bg.pdf

Just for interest the black one in the last link was our car, didn't know that till after we got it tho'

Last edited by Smudga; 08 February 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08 February 2007, 09:10 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
Try a TRD M Sport Celica before you make up your mind? 200bhp and very similar
Teg drives much better though (IMO). Similar concept, but very different in execution.

Is the Celica lightened and strengthened over standard?

BTW, just to save endless posts of crap...

"yadda yadda...gutless.....yadda yadda"

"Yadda yadda...no torque...yadda yadda"

"yadda yadda.....to noisy to live with.....yadda yadda....."

"yadda yadaa.....to harsh......yadda yadda"

There, that should hopefully deal with the detractors
Old 08 February 2007, 09:14 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
Teg drives much better though (IMO). Similar concept, but very different in execution.

Is the Celica lightened and strengthened over standard?

Well, I guess you know about the lightening and strengthening if you know the Teg drives much better......or haven't you driven a TRD M Sport?

Last edited by Mike123; 08 February 2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:05 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Buy it!!!

Have one in my garage right now (for sale when I get round to it).

I have owned 2 cars that I can honestly say blew me away with the handling and driving experience. One was a Lotuis Elise and the other was the DC2.

Only selling it as it is getting on and I don't have the resources to run it as a third car
Old 08 February 2007, 10:46 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Buy it.

I'm thinking of selling my 205 this year to swap for a DC2, in white.
Old 08 February 2007, 11:06 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
Well, I guess you know about the lightening and strengthening if you know the Teg drives much better......or haven't you driven a TRD M Sport?

I've driven what was said to be a TRD M sport, yes. It felt better than the 190 (which was cack), but not as good (IMO) as the Integra.

But, no I didn't measure the thickness of the glass or check for a reinforced bodyshell. Nor did I measure roll centres, etc.
Old 08 February 2007, 02:02 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Ahhh!!! I was hoping you lot would say keep the scoob!
What to do, what to do!
I need to make my mind up by friday night, as the guy who wants to buy my scoob is coming down on saturday.... from over 200miles away!
Old 08 February 2007, 02:10 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

What to do, what to do!
I need to make my mind up by friday night, as the guy who wants to buy my scoob is coming down on saturday.... from over 200miles away!
There are some things that every petrolhead should do at some point in their lives.

And owning a car that revs to 8,900 rpm as standard, and handles that well is one of them
Old 08 February 2007, 02:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Thought the limit was 8500rpm? Some say 8.9, others say 9.5??
Old 08 February 2007, 02:28 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
I've driven what was said to be a TRD M sport, yes. It felt better than the 190 (which was cack), but not as good (IMO) as the Integra.

I'm just going on what EVO mag said - they rated the 190 very highly in their tests of it ( the text suggests much better than "cack" ). As they also liked the ITR immensely, I reckon a hardcore 190, with 6-sp box, LSD, lightened and stiffened shell with high-revving1.8 engine 200bhp would run an ITR close for a keen driver.
We all like different cars at the end of the day..............suggested it as it's probably the most similar competitor to the ITR
Old 08 February 2007, 03:16 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Thought the limit was 8500rpm? Some say 8.9, others say 9.5??
Redline 8,500, limiter 8,900

(On UK cars)
Old 08 February 2007, 03:57 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

if i were to sell my scoob, i reckon i would end up with an integra dc2... i haven't heard one bad thing about them... only negatives, which comes with the package is the lack of torque - but then to produce 190bhp from a 1.8l, and having a similar "kick" factor to a turbo car, it would give you a cracking smile everytime you came on cam. Secondly, it will make you drive it like its meant to be driven!
Old 08 February 2007, 04:00 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The torque thing just depends what mood you're in.

My 205 is as much like an ITR as anything else, it revs to 8,500 if I want it to, and the cams come in at about 4,500 - it flies after that.

If i'm in the mood, then its great, nice sunny day, throttle bodies screaming - as long as you keep it on cam it is excellent. On a lazy day, turbo power would be more enjoyable.

I would imagine the ITR/Vtec is the same.
Old 08 February 2007, 04:06 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The torque thing just depends what mood you're in.

My 205 is as much like an ITR as anything else, it revs to 8,500 if I want it to, and the cams come in at about 4,500 - it flies after that.

If i'm in the mood, then its great, nice sunny day, throttle bodies screaming - as long as you keep it on cam it is excellent. On a lazy day, turbo power would be more enjoyable.

I would imagine the ITR/Vtec is the same.
Its not as bad as non believers make out. Very low geared (18.something mph/100rpm in 5th IIRC) overall. Its a wierd sensation - you would swear the revcounter was overreading for any given revs in that 70 in top never feels like almost 4000 rpm.

Plenty of go from very low revs
Old 08 February 2007, 07:52 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

post this in general and i'm sure you'd get that answer mate!

i guess if you want the change and you're getting good money for yours, why not?

but it's a tough one really, you've got a great car there chris and if you were going to a newer scoob i'd say don't even think about it, just do it.

but buying a (i guess) similar aged car that might need a few quid spending on it to get it up to the standard you're used to, might feel like a mistake when (not if) you feel the pull of a scooby again and try to find a good example that might not live up to what you've got now.

don't know if that entirely makes sense but i know what i mean
Old 08 February 2007, 09:31 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You always make sense m8!
That is exactly what i'm afraid of.
Your old scooby (or 'old faithful' as its called now!) is in exceptional condition.
Especially since I did the last service myself with Motul 300V 10w40, castrol syntrax for box and diff, coolant change, fuel filter, oil filter and a good clean of the green air filter.
The gears are super smooth now, you'll have to have a drive to appreciate how good that syntrax stuff is when compared to whatever the stealers use!
It is also boosting to 17psi instead of 16psi, everytime. (not due to cold whether as I only serviced it 2 weeks ago )

Bodywork is excellent, as is the interior. All it 'needs' in my opinion is colour coding of door handles, mirrors and skirts.

I also think it will hold its value, due to having several enquireys in the last few weeks, offering way more that what I was expecting.

I'm swaying more and more towards keeping it.
I think i'd be a mug to sell it, especially as I don't need to.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Chris,

As someone who has owned both and lucikily at the same time I can tell you my feelings are if you value grunt and grip more keep the Scoob, but if you are after handling and balance and a more focused car get the DC2.

That is it in a nutshell really. I have to tell you though that the DC2 is only one of two cars that has ever truly been better than the hype. Don't compare it to the CTR or even the later DC5 ITR, the DC2 is an amazing piece of kit.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Old 08 February 2007, 11:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info bud. I know I would miss the low down torque of the TD04 setup Impreza. I rarely go past 5.5K revs anyway.
I think the Impreza 'spoils' you in a way.
Very few cars seem to offer the complete package of speed/handling/practicallity/affordability/reliability.

Also, I feel like I 'know' my Impreza now. Especially after owning 2 for over 3.5 years.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:34 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

'old faithfull'like that

glad to hear it's still going so well mate, will deffo have to meet up soon
Old 09 February 2007, 07:27 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

1st off i dont jump on the bandwagon!!!!!so this is an honest opinion!!!!ive been out in my mates teg r championship white uk model a few times and wasnt impressed didnt feel fast not as fast as my bros civic type r....however he has since removed everything interior wise from front seats back and removed the rear windscreen wiper motor and placed a plastic plug on the glass window and fitted another brace cant remember if front or back but anyhoo the back now oversteers!!! going round roundabouts and feels alot quicker due to the weight removal.

i dont like it.....it feels dead below 6k also i feel like you have to thrash it to get it moving its either too slow or too fast and he has to drive it like a madman rowing the gearbox.for example he was cruising on a dual carriageway and someone was undertaking him cos he was in the fast lane so he booted it=nothing...dropped a gear still not good enough.....then dropped another cog and then he could accelerate!!!! not really my cup of tea would prefer a turbod car. oh and he says it drinks petrol even worse than his pals pulsar gtir!!!!seems like too much hard work to drive it fast and if you want somewthing that makes you feel young well david coulthard cant be wrong with a reno 5 gt turbo always put a smile on my face
just my 2p
Old 09 February 2007, 07:46 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr
1st off i dont jump on the bandwagon!!!!!so this is an honest opinion!!!!ive been out in my mates teg r championship white uk model a few times and wasnt impressed didnt feel fast not as fast as my bros civic type r....however he has since removed everything interior wise from front seats back and removed the rear windscreen wiper motor and placed a plastic plug on the glass window and fitted another brace cant remember if front or back but anyhoo the back now oversteers!!! going round roundabouts and feels alot quicker due to the weight removal.

i dont like it.....it feels dead below 6k also i feel like you have to thrash it to get it moving its either too slow or too fast and he has to drive it like a madman rowing the gearbox.for example he was cruising on a dual carriageway and someone was undertaking him cos he was in the fast lane so he booted it=nothing...dropped a gear still not good enough.....then dropped another cog and then he could accelerate!!!! not really my cup of tea would prefer a turbod car. oh and he says it drinks petrol even worse than his pals pulsar gtir!!!!seems like too much hard work to drive it fast and if you want somewthing that makes you feel young well david coulthard cant be wrong with a reno 5 gt turbo always put a smile on my face
just my 2p

Had it been modified engine/suspension/wheels wise before he took all the weight out?
Old 09 February 2007, 08:14 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

no it was standard around 80 kmile on the clock though!!

its now got a cat back blueflame exhaust system a lightened flywheel and a spoon air filter.i havent been in it since those mods as its not my cup of t.
Old 09 February 2007, 08:27 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I went from a scoob to a DC2 and I am happy with my choice.

I loved the scoob and the DC2 is no where as quick off the line due to grip but once going it is a very capable car. I drive it faster than I used to drive the scoob, and I absolutely love redlining it all the time (just to confirm - redline is at 8500 but rev limiter does not cut in until 8900). With a Mugen airbox and induction kit (£400(!!)) it sounds even better.
Acceleration in the wet is bad as wheel spin is a problem.

Best thing about it is that you get a car that is balanced, involving, grips like no other, fast (6secs to 60 and 8secs from 60 - 100) but it still returns 35mpg on longer trips.

It feels like a more basic and focussed car than the scoob - more pure (?).

Heres a couple of pics of mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jai/car019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jai/car021.jpg
Old 09 February 2007, 08:37 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hmmm.... very nice Well, todays D-Day. Need to let the guy know that its not for sale anymore......or confirm the time he's coming down! Arhhhh!!!!!
Old 09 February 2007, 09:27 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Chris, I think the telling thing is you said you don't rev above 5.5 K that often. If you don't like revving an engine the DC2 isn't for you. What the poster above said about dropping a couple of gears is true, just like many he doesn't get what the DC2 is about hence feels it is unimpressive etc. Nothing happens till 6K when the VTEC comes in and then it is fun fun fun with handling and balance to match, but you have to be more on the ball to drive them quickly.

Tell you what though the first time I took it on a spirited drive round the fabled twisties I was truly astonished, not for nothing is the title 'best handling FWD ever' bestowed upon it. I had to own one and am so glad I did.

Good luck and look at it this way, you have to choose between a 4wd icon and the best handling FWD drive ever, not a bad choice to have in life really.
Old 09 February 2007, 09:39 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Very true!
Think I'm just getting 'itchy feet' and feel like a change. But then I think, why? I currently own a mint example of, like you say, a 4wd icon.

Quick Reply: DC2 Integra Type R