What car?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 02:40 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car?

OK,

I have posted up here about some cars in the past. And yet again its my better half who is causing this problem of yet another post!!

Over the past 14 months my misses has changed her car no more than 4 times!!! It is starting to annoy me now.

Saxo
Cliosport 172
Mini Cooper (new shape) loaded (sold due to baby and no space in boot)
Saxo again.

At least one of the changes has been made for a good reason as we are expecting our first child in April.

Now these are my cars on MY short list for her as we are on a tight budget with just moving into a new home and of course baby on the way.

PUG 306 D-Turbo (have been to view 6 now but are all beaten up or way over priced)

FIAT Punto Sporting (MK2) 1.2 16V 6GEAR Manual (Wouldn't want a standard Punto as the sporting has more gadgets)

Ford Focus 1.6 zetec Value for money

Seat Ibiza up to a 1.6 Sport

Now for our tight budget of £2.5 approx what is the best buy?

Any help of advice is welcome.......

Steve
Old 09 January 2007, 09:10 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Come on guys,

Some one must have had at least two of these cars to go by? Need to be getting a car soon before the baby is here.

Steve
Old 09 January 2007, 09:26 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

If you're on a tight budget, then I'd recommend something Japanese (or that area).

My misses wanted a car for going to the shops in, as she walks to work, so we spent 2k on a 306. It was an absolute pile of sh1te. We traded it in 4 months later against a 1700 quid Nissan Micra. Had the car for just over 18 months and it has been amasing. Not used that often, but starts every time, cost nothing to run bar two new front tyres about half way through our ownership. Just sold it to her Granddad for 1500 quid.

Micra's probably too small, but I'd recommend an Almera if you don't mind the looks, as I'd imagine 2.5k of Pug 306 or Fiat is going to be a ropey car. Also, when we were looking around, all the Focus' around the 2-2.5k mark were awful too...
Old 09 January 2007, 09:31 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

look at what the other reasons were for getting rid and base your decision on that
Old 09 January 2007, 09:34 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Is this to replace Saxo? I had a VTR when I had my first child, and it is one of the best cars for the job, I was so impressed! It managed to swallow up the rear facing baby seat, large push chair, and changing back, all with the shelf in etc - the wife sat up front in comfort. Great little car
Old 09 January 2007, 09:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Why change teh Saxo for a Punto, surely they are similar sizes (if that is the reason)
Old 09 January 2007, 09:58 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Is this to replace Saxo? I had a VTR when I had my first child, and it is one of the best cars for the job, I was so impressed! It managed to swallow up the rear facing baby seat, large push chair, and changing back, all with the shelf in etc - the wife sat up front in comfort. Great little car
My wife had a VTS when we had our first child - plenty of room but it depends how much kit you cart around with you.
She's got a Cooper S now and manages fine with 2 boys - only one needs a pushchair though. The Aircon is useful for keeping small children cool in summer
Old 09 January 2007, 10:07 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Buy a Focus if you're having a kid.

Ours was faultless for 30k miles, cheap to insure, cheap servicing (£99 for main service, tyres are £140 a pair)

Go for a TDCI if possible for the economy and buy a 5 door for the space, they honestly can't be beaten for room, driving pleasure and running costs

Also cheap now due to new shape. We sold our W 1.8 Zetec with 44k miles for £3,400 last year so you should get seomthing for £2.5k now.
Old 09 January 2007, 10:09 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Oh and ignore the TDCI bit, only spotted your budget after posting
Old 09 January 2007, 12:03 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Guys,

thanks for the replys etc. Sorry if I sounded moody, its been 14months of looking for cars and it is starting to cheese me off.

The saxo she is using now is her dads but he needs it back. She isn't the holder on the v5 form but is paying outright insurance etc.

I've spoken to her about the VTR Saxo but to be honest I struggle with the pedals myself as they are angled and too close for my feet.

I've seen some nice cars up for sale on the pistonheads site (civic's and 323f's) but some of them have been moddified that she won't want to drive it.
And some of the cars she won't want to travel too as they are too fare affield......that doesn't bother me but it does her.

I like the focus's to be honest. But like most cars we are the wrong side of the budget to get a nice one that hasn't been abused or thrashed.

Its tricky, really tricky. Need to get another car by at least mid Feb.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09 January 2007, 12:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I don't think you will struggle to find a decent Focus. As I said, I think we sold ours for about £3.3 to 3.4k and it was a mint 2 lady owned 44k 1.8 with FFSH, full mot and tax.

It would be worth trying to stretch the budget by £500 if possible. I know its difficult as our first is due in March, so i'm in the same position of selling our 320 Coupe, buying something else, plus doing nurseries up etc
Old 09 January 2007, 12:38 PM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

i would get a focus! or a mk4 astra
Old 09 January 2007, 09:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Surely something liek a Picasso could be bought dirt cheap. Do the job wouldn't it?
Old 09 January 2007, 11:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

There's a Focus on SN for sale btw - https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...focus-tdi.html