Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help me find my new car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2007, 03:47 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me find my new car!!

Well,the time is getting closer for me to consider getting another car,the problem is i have spoilt myself the last two summers with cars and pretty much bought what i wanted,when i wanted it..............some that lived upto and maybe even exceeded my expectations,and others that were a real disappointment for whatever reason.

So,heres my problem.................what next??

I have had.......................

Focus RS (Fantastic!! But sadly had to be sold after 2 months).

Renault Clio DCI Van (Highly modded and loved,used as my runabout - kept 1 year).

Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo (Slow and Thirsty,owned for 3 weeks).

Golf GT TDI 150 (Comprehensively modded,really liked,plus 40mpg - kept 9 months).

Mini Cooper S (Quick'ish but bloody thirsty @ 22mpg - kept 4 weeks)

BMW E46 M3 Convertible (Hated it,never felt properly fast,and very over hyped IMHO - kept 6 weeks).

Ariel Atom (Fun but needs a garage,which we don't have - kept 3 weeks)

Seat Leon Cupra R 225 (Again,comprehensively modified,and loved.Excellent balance between family duties,fun,performance and economy - kept 7 months).

Seat Arosa 1.4 Sport (Used as a second car,and done the whole "euro" thing with......deep dished wheels,coilovers etc etc - kept 2 months).

Classic Turbo (My current steed!! Great car,very pleased with it,but it was only ever bought as a winter runaround,hence the itchy feet coming again).

The only cars that are tempting me at the moment are....................

Focus ST (New model).

BMW 330D Sport.

Porsche 911 (996 model).

Noble M12.

Golf GTI (MK5).

Clio 182.

Megane 225.

Any other suggestions,because as much as i love cars,there just does not seem to be anything jumping out at me to buy,and that has NEVER happened to me before,because i usually know what my next half dozen will be??

I love torque,it does not really matter whether it is a 2 seater as we have another "family" car(although this could be sold),and depending on what it is,the budget is anything upto £35,000,however,i hate driving anything standard,and love big wheels,so it has to have the potential to modify.

No Impreza's though,as i drove an STI PPP when i was looking to sell the Focus RS and just did not gel with it(although i may give one another go,as i do love my Classic).
Old 02 January 2007, 04:02 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Lotus Exige S?
Old 02 January 2007, 04:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

You need help....lol

Throwing a few more in the mix, as it looks like performance is your thing:

New Audi S3, New Audi TT 3.2, New Clio 197, New Golf GTi Edition 30
Old 02 January 2007, 04:15 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Focus ST (New model) - Very impressed with the handling and sound but cheapo looking interior.

BMW 330D Sport. - Butt kicking torque but common as muck and a bit soft for real fun.

Porsche 911 (996 model).- Lovely.

Noble M12. Lovely but horribly unreliable.

Golf GTI (MK5). Great allrounder - Maybe a bit dull for you?

Clio 182 - I'd never buy French ever again.

Megane 225. See above.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:18 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

New civic r? looks like a bum sandwich but by all accounts will be a decent car.

im in the same boat. i have gone through the hot hatches of peugeot,citoren,ford,renault..had the jap usuall suspects of scooby,mr2 turbo and type r,just sold a cupra r..and now im looking at another subaru or the dreaded 330d. i just know after i get the bmw i will feel like sucking a werthers original and urinating my self at random intervals.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:27 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobscoob
New civic r? looks like a bum sandwich but by all accounts will be a decent car.

im in the same boat. i have gone through the hot hatches of peugeot,citoren,ford,renault..had the jap usuall suspects of scooby,mr2 turbo and type r,just sold a cupra r..and now im looking at another subaru or the dreaded 330d. i just know after i get the bmw i will feel like sucking a werthers original and urinating my self at random intervals.
lol, I bought a 330d and althogh the car was excellent I found it dull sandwiched amongst all the other rep mobiles on the motorway. Bought an Sti PPP (my 3rd) and after a few months realised why I had sold mine originally. Waiting for my S3 to arrive which I am hoping will provide a balance of sensible and fun.

The Civic was always out as I live in Swindon and everyone hasa Civic here, the R32 was out due to it's poor economy, would probably have investigated the Gti edition 30 if I'd have known it was due, only problem is the wife has a MkV Tdi and two golfs on the drive would be a bit odd
Old 02 January 2007, 04:27 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
You need help....lol

Throwing a few more in the mix, as it looks like performance is your thing:

New Audi S3, New Audi TT 3.2, New Clio 197, New Golf GTi Edition 30
The New S3 is a nice looking car,but by the time i would spec it to my desired level i could buy a LOT more metal(and performance)for the money,because "standard"they are going to be circa 26k i think.

The new TT hasn't really grown on me yet.

The Clio 197 has had pretty poor reviews for the performance as the new car is heavier than the old one with not enough extra power.......................why did'nt they put the Meganes 225bhp turbo engine in it,at least it could have been tuned easily and cheaply,and with 260-270bhp would've been a proper car as everyone reckons they still handle well.

And the Golf Edition 30 is not enough "extra" car for an extra 2.5k

Plus,i don't really like buying new cars.......................i loose enough buying them secondhand ,and as i say,i like a lot of car for whatever i am spending .

Oh and you're right,performance is my thing .
Old 02 January 2007, 04:31 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobscoob

No torque mate.....................had a Civic VTI a couple of years ago and hated having to rev the bollocks off it to get it to go - kept 6 weeks.

As much as i love fast cars,i am also quite lazy and love just putting a car in top gear(or dare i say "Drive"),putting my foot down and it going quickly.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:36 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Are residuals not an issue? How do you purchase, finance and sell?
Old 02 January 2007, 04:37 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

You need something really scary to keep you interested. I would personally try the noble, TVR, Morgon Aero? maybe an American entry. Lots of power, RWD and a diff is all you need to keep the interest up I think.

Good luck in your search
Old 02 January 2007, 04:51 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Are residuals not an issue? How do you purchase, finance and sell?
Well,residuals are certainly an issue..................everyone hates loosing money,however,they are all always cash purchases with money that is saved,so in effect i am only loosing MY money as opposed to loosing on the car,and loosing on finance(and on some,i don't loose).

The thing with this is,that i do not find myself having to have the latest clothes,mobiles,gadgets etc,i don't smoke,very rarely drink,and because we have 2 disabled children,we rarely get the opportunity to go out in the evening,so the money i spend on cars really is my hobby(not to mention release),so if i add up what i have lost this year for instance(about 8k),and balance it across the year,although it sounds a lot in isolation,it only really adds upto what people doing all the above spend on a monthly basis,or if they buy a brand new car in depreciation.

It's just that this year i would like to buy a car,do what i want to it,and keep it for a longer time....................i wish i had bought the Golf i had in 2005 at the start of the year,and the Cupra R i had this year at the start of the year,because they are the 2 cars that stand out as being excellent all round cars,and the ones i have kept the longest.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:58 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
You need something really scary to keep you interested. I would personally try the noble, TVR, Morgon Aero? maybe an American entry. Lots of power, RWD and a diff is all you need to keep the interest up I think.

Good luck in your search

I very nearly bought a couple of TVR's last year as i have always longed for one and finally had the money to buy whichever one i wanted and have a nice family car aswell,but when it came down to it,i just couldn't buy one,as i knew it was just for the noise,hence why i bought the Atom.

I must admit,i do love a lot of the american stuff,and again,nearly bought a Dodge Ram Rumblebee Pickup last year,and were it not for the appalling economy(8mpg in traffic)i would have had it,but the SRT-10's are getting cheap

Did anyone see the last Fifth Gear of this year when Tiff Needell drove that T-Rex thing...................that looked f**king good fun!!!
Old 02 January 2007, 04:59 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

VX220T?

Or if you are feeling adventurous (and a little crazy), the new Astra Diesel fettled by 888 looks interesting

Details on that Astra here : Thurlby Motors Limited - Thurlby 888 Astra

I was quite tempted myself when I saw it, but got burnt with Vauxhall's a while back.

Or, if you don't mind engine conversions, get an early Elise and go for the 1.8T VW engine conversion. There may be one or two kicking around pre converted as well

Last edited by Hanslow; 02 January 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03 January 2007, 02:57 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

A VX220 Turbo is a definate possibility.................looked at them earlier in the year,but ended up buying the Atom instead as they were still fetching a lot of money,however i have been keeping an eye on prices and they do seem to be about now for around 14k .
Old 03 January 2007, 03:12 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

What you should be asking yourself is what order will you be getting them in. The rate at which you change cars is ludicrous. At some point or another you're going to own all of em so just write their names down on bits of paper, pop them in a hat and pick one. Next week you can pick another. Total insanity - I hope you earn a lot of money or your credit card bill must be enormous.
Old 03 January 2007, 03:34 PM
martx
Scooby Regular

Focus ST: Crackin' lookin motor ( I like the orange but not sure I'd want 1)

BMW 330D Sport. :quick with a remap! a bit reppy though. Done to death

Porsche 911 (996 model). 997's out?

Noble M12.: I like 'em!

Golf GTI (MK5). : 170bhp Diesel, chip it, 19"s, ABT bodykit= THE NUTS

Clio 182. :Horrible & boring

Megane 225. Horrible & a little less boring.

Not sure of ya budget but what about:

New 335d coupe: Fcukin' Gorgeous!

Audi RS4: Beautiful but not sure about 50k for 1?

P.S: Tom at ariel has just sold my Atom 300 for me. What a car eh?!
Old 03 January 2007, 03:37 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

R34 GTR??
Old 03 January 2007, 03:48 PM
Nürburg_Ringa
Scooby Regular

Simple, 996 GT3
Old 03 January 2007, 03:49 PM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

2006 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06
Old 03 January 2007, 04:49 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
What you should be asking yourself is what order will you be getting them in. The rate at which you change cars is ludicrous. At some point or another you're going to own all of em so just write their names down on bits of paper, pop them in a hat and pick one. Next week you can pick another. Total insanity - I hope you earn a lot of money or your credit card bill must be enormous.
Cheers for the constructive answers to a question i never asked..................theres always one .

And as answered above,i do earn enough to do it,thanks for asking .
Old 03 January 2007, 04:53 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martx
Focus ST: Crackin' lookin motor ( I like the orange but not sure I'd want 1)

BMW 330D Sport. :quick with a remap! a bit reppy though. Done to death

Porsche 911 (996 model). 997's out?

Noble M12.: I like 'em!

Golf GTI (MK5). : 170bhp Diesel, chip it, 19"s, ABT bodykit= THE NUTS

Clio 182. :Horrible & boring

Megane 225. Horrible & a little less boring.

Not sure of ya budget but what about:

New 335d coupe: Fcukin' Gorgeous!

Audi RS4: Beautiful but not sure about 50k for 1?

P.S: Tom at ariel has just sold my Atom 300 for me. What a car eh?!
Did you get good money for your Atom mate??

I bought mine direct from Ariel(Tom),very helpful people,and all seem to be 100% committed to their product.............i found it very refreshing!!

I sold mine to a guy from Germany,he flew over and drove the car back..............pretty hardcore,even by my standards
Old 03 January 2007, 04:54 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
R34 GTR??
Are they not fragile when tuned??

Never really considered one as i thought all the electric aids etc would take away from the driving experience a bit???
Old 03 January 2007, 04:55 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Evo 9 FQ-360? I drove the '8 FQ-340 and was very impressed

Or what about MY next car? A Nissan 350Z? Supercharging to 400bhp is a popular mod and there are plenty of wheels/cosmetic mods available!

Nick
Old 03 January 2007, 05:00 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Evo 9 FQ-360? I drove the '8 FQ-340 and was very impressed

Or what about MY next car? A Nissan 350Z? Supercharging to 400bhp is a popular mod and there are plenty of wheels/cosmetic mods available!

Nick
I had a look at an Evo 300 when i was selling my M3 and i didn't really rate it TBH,which is a shame as i think they are a nice looking car,especially in red,which a lot of people seem to slate??? Maybe a higher power derivitive would tempt me!!

The Z maybe a possibility though,hadn't really thought about that,and they have come down a bit now haven't they................are you going new or secondhand??
Old 03 January 2007, 08:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I'm going 2nd hand mate. Test drove a new one but I think a 1-2 year old example would be a good investment for a while as they seem to stabilise around the 20k mark.
Try one out, the steering is surprisingly good and the engine quite revvy.
From what you have had though I imagine you will crave more power, but as I mentioned there are supercharge conversions...
Also, Nissan may be bringing their own SC version dubbed GTS according to Evo mag.

My mate had an Evo8 FQ-340 in red (carbon spoiler, black wheels) and it looked great. I've not driven a lower powered one although I've tried a couple of standard Evo 6s and thought they were similar to my classic STi.

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 03 January 2007 at 08:03 PM.