Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

bmw e36 m3

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2006, 06:41 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw e36 m3

been covered befor i am sure, but just want to get an idea of if we love them or hate them?

i have been told to stay clear of the SMG box as these have a tendency to go wrong and cost a lot to fix anyone shed some light on the matter?

also i am aware that they are very solid but have a problem with the vanos can anyone explain to me what taht is and does and the cost to get it replaced?

just thinking of a replacement to my 96 wrx that i wish to get rid of. just wanting something newer in age would get another classic but mine has had a lot of work done to it there would be no point as i would be owning a lesser car imo. thought of ver 5/6 sti or p1 but not heard to many good things about the reliability and i know mine is fine so again no point in changing/

i am looking to spend anything from the 5k- 13k mark but imho would like to keep it around the 10k mark, so any other pointers

steve
Old 29 December 2006, 08:38 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Do a search in this section mate - this has all been covered soooooooooooooooooo many times
Old 30 December 2006, 02:33 AM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve.

I had an m plate M3 coupe a few years ago. It had well over 100k on the clock but you couldn't tell to drive it. My previous car was a P1, the M3 wasn't much slower, but was nowhere near as fun or as easy to get on with.
For Motorways and quick A roads, you can't beat the BM, but when it gets a bit twisty or wet, prepare for brown pants. Rwd, nearly 300bhp, no traction control. Lots of oversteer may be good on an airfield, but not down a narrow country lane!
M3's build quality is excellent. Much more solid car than a scoob and probably ages better. And don't let high miles bother you, aslong as it has a fsh, preferably BMW.

Something worth noting. I had my whole interior nicked, several attempts to nick my wheels, and other general grief from scum (no races mentioned!). I also nearly had it taken by the Police as someone had copied its plates! I couldn't take anymore so i sold it and bought a mondeo!!!
Old 30 December 2006, 10:19 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i love my scoob but its just its getting old now so fancy something different. io was thinking of a version 8 sti ppp but i know that the 13-14k that i will have to spend will be more like 10-11k in a years time and i cant see the point of losing that kind of money in such a short time so i am thinking of some thing a little different for a while till they come down in price. so if anyone can recommend something that is as much fun as a scoob then feel free. would love a p1 but so i have been told they are not the most reliable, i can afford to run service and maintain a car but not a unexpected engine rebuild and as far as i am aware they are very prone to this. if anyone can shed some light then great
Old 30 December 2006, 11:09 AM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Get a P1 mate, 13k would get you a nice one with low miles.

P1's tend to be owned by the more mature scooby brigade basicly who can afford them. Very rare to see an abused over modified one.
Old 30 December 2006, 03:45 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i do love the p1 as i say but i have heard a lot of horror stories of engines blowing up as they are based on the version 5 sti ands they are not ment to be that bulit proof is this the case? also that the service history needs to be kept up and done as and when it is due and not a long period over as they need a ;lot of tlc can anyone shed light on this for me
Old 30 December 2006, 06:32 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
i do love the p1 as i say but i have heard a lot of horror stories of engines blowing up as they are based on the version 5 sti ands they are not ment to be that bulit proof is this the case? also that the service history needs to be kept up and done as and when it is due and not a long period over as they need a ;lot of tlc can anyone shed light on this for me
All scoobies are at risk of det etc if driven hard all day and night with missed service intervals.

P1's are the ultimate uk classic developed by prodrive and built to the highest spec possible. Most have had an easy life compared to imports which TBH know one knows how the've been treated in Japan or weather they hold genuine mileage etc, you just buy on condition as opposed to the likes of the P1's, uk cars etc, where you can see where the have been and how they have been treated.

Most ive seen for sale have FSSH and been treated like royalty. Ive never seen a **** P1 for sale.

If i had 13k to spend on a scoob id certainly be looking down the P1 route.

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2006, 07:41 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

I've just picked up a mint STI7 uk and its every bit the car the P1 was. Maybe not as raw. Think of it as a P1 that has grown up a bit, but still just as quick.
You can pick them up for 10 to 12k, the price of a decent P1, and they are a couple of years newer.
Don't be put off by the bugeye, in the flesh it looks the nuts, pics don't do them justice!

BTW, I never knew P1's had an issue with reliability. Mine never missed a beat in nearly 2 years. The most reliable car i've ever had! Maybe its the fact that quite a few of them have their necks rung on trackdays.

Last edited by Steve Fort; 30 December 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 30 December 2006, 08:24 PM
csl
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevie1982
been covered befor i am sure, but just want to get an idea of if we love them or hate them?

i have been told to stay clear of the SMG box as these have a tendency to go wrong and cost a lot to fix anyone shed some light on the matter?
I had an M3 Evo and loved it. I also had an STi8 and loved it, for different reasons. I am aware of the M3 v. Impreza debate has been going on for a long time on here so I'll keep it brief:

1) Double Vanos on the E36 M3 Evo is prone to failure in one of two modes, copious oil leak or sticking/rattle. I had the oil leak. £2k to fix through BMW, give or take. Find one that the Vanos has been replaced on and is therefore preferably under warranty. Single Vanos on the non-evo, no problems.

2) E36 was always a capable chassis but was too softly sprung in order to keep the yuppies happy. Replace the suspension and it transforms the car.

3) Rear wheel drive, 320bhp, limited slip diff and no traction control plus the above suspension mods makes for a magnificent drivers car. You won't get the same shove in the back you get from high end or modified impreza, but you also won't get that nasty pseudo understeer and that feeling of 'oh my god nothing's happening' when you pull out onto a roundabout and you are waiting for the turbo to spool.

What you will get is an engine that revs smoothly to 7.5k without sounding like it is about to blow up, a car that feels like it is solidly made, unlike the impreza tinfoil effect, steering feel that is not raped by power scrabbling through the front wheels and, in the right hands, a car that is hugely capable of doing what it does best, smooth, progressive and very fast progress on tarmac (that isn't bumpy, wet or slippery ).

Oh yeah and yes, stay away from SMG I (the E36 SMG). It's god awful. The six speed manual box on the Evo is sweet, even better with a short shift.

SMGII on the E46 is a different beast altogether.

Last edited by csl; 30 December 2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 31 December 2006, 10:41 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

csl has summed it all up really-quite a few of us on here have has classic scoobs, then brought M3evo's, and then gone back to scoobs again.
The M3evo is a really good car-but imo it just doesnt give you that feeling of power that a scoob gives.Compared to an even slightly modded scoob the M3 doesnt feel that tourqey because its power delivery is so smooth, making it feel slow-even though its far from it! But thats what you have to put up with on a NA car.
Personally , i prefer the surge of power you get with a turbo winding up, and the rawness of the scoob.
Best thing for you to do is to go and test drive one and see for yourself.