Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

clio 197 or 2 yr old cooper s?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2006, 06:41 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clio 197 or 2 yr old cooper s?

im 20 as some of you know and i have a wrx300. i payed just under 2k last year to insure it through elephant. my renewal came in post yesterday and i was expecting <1700 but gues what... £2500.

Im not paying that so it might have to go if the right deal can be done.

looked at a mini cooper s yesterday. not bad quite nippy but expensive when you add what you want and im only being offed 13ish for mine.

went to look at renaultsport but a demo was not available. goin to track one down tomorrow to try.

clio wont hold its value like the coopers s but the cooper s is more from the off.

opinions please on experience with either

thanks.

Last edited by C2forWRX; 10 December 2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:42 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

Clio is a nice car, but it'll drop like a stone compared to the mini.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:44 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Minis look ****e imo, and are generally drivien by ladies.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:46 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

Clio everytime. Substantially quicker car than the Mini
Old 10 December 2006, 06:49 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I agree with the woman image of the mini, but the cooper s in black with aero bits and ***** looks quite man-ish. just the renault image im not sure about. dont like interior much, recaros are £800 although very good. if i but a new clio circa 15K, in 6months it will be worth 10k probs where as mini 16K prob be worth 13-14
Old 10 December 2006, 06:50 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Depends how long you are going to keep it. If you change your car once a year then the mini is a no brainer, but if you are looking to keep this car for 3 years or so then just buy the one you want. Sounds like you really want the Clio, but are afraid of the depreciation. Don't forget that the £2500 extra for the mini is before interest so it will actually be a couple of hundred more than that. Relatively small change I know, but it all starts to add up.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:51 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rokerlad
Clio everytime. Substantially quicker car than the Mini
apparently not. the new 197 has noooo low down torque aparently and mini feels quicker apparently...
Old 10 December 2006, 06:51 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Also before you totally give up on your scooby have you tried elsewere for quotes.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:52 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Remember the "NEW" Mini is due out very soon,which will obviously have an adverse effect on the already weakening Mini residuals,especially as the New Cooper S is going to be turbocharged as opposed to supercharged.

Also,i had a Cooper S back in February,and while it was a pretty quick car as standard(getting them upto Cooper S Works bhp costs about a grand),it was bloody thirsty..................i was only getting a maximim of 23mpg according to the computer.

No room in the back or the boot,but that never bothered me as it was only a second car.

As a last point,when i part exed mine it had done 26k and the clutch was just beginning to slip,however it would obviously be covered by the warranty if it had one.

Must say though,with everything taken into account,i would probably have another,especially now they are getting cheaper!!
Old 10 December 2006, 06:52 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

neither get on confused.com and get a cheaper renewal quote for your impreza.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:53 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

heart says keep scoob. head says mini, wallet says clio. but insurance is due so im goin to have to make a move soon. going to drive a clio tomorrow if i can find a demo one localish.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:55 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

im 20. i did a huge amounth of research into insurance when i originally bought the car. no one would insure me besides elephant and swinton. elepahnt were by far the cheapest at 2k last year and when i was 18 i payed 1600 for a 1.4 c2 so i wasnt a big jump really. but 2500 this year is a **** take.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:59 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Its a proper **** take, the price juping up that much.

How about a older Clio 182 or a Ctr.
Old 10 December 2006, 07:09 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

might have a look at a ctr but they a bit old now. didnt like the older clio really...
Old 10 December 2006, 07:10 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

cheapest quote for scooy on confused was 4500 haha. 2500 seems cheap now.
Old 10 December 2006, 07:10 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask, did you ring them up and ask why the jump in the premium.
Old 10 December 2006, 07:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mini will make you look a lady or a junior estate agent !

They are meant to be good to drive (have not had the pleasure) but when I see a bloke in one I think, either gay, tart, his birds car or Estate agent, when I see a Clio Sport I think that the driver is an enthusiast on a budget.

23 mpg is appalling (Scoob territory) for such a small car, my T5 did 25 and my current Saab turbo which is as quick as a Cooper S (in a straight line, NOT corners) does at worst 28, usually about 33. Isnt the Mini engine basically some cheapo Brazilian budget car engine with a supercharger bolted on ?

Turbo's though not as impressive low down as a supercharger are always going to be more efficient (hence why they have gone turbo on the new ones), a turbo isn't free power but at least the engine doesnt have to expend energy just driving the thing.
Old 10 December 2006, 08:33 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

The Clio isn't "slow" by any means, they've changed the power delivery on the latest model and it's a lot more linear. No more "kick" at 5k when it used to come on cam.

However the handling is now even better imho, the car just stays so flat through bends it's unreal, and the 4 pot brembos were quite nice. Just a shame once you start loading the options on to get to 182 equipment levels the price really starts to go up.
Old 10 December 2006, 08:38 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

First thing i'd do is try the insurers listed on here. A-Plan saved me quite a bit, no harm in trying eh? If you do get rid then how about a second hand Megane 225? I prefer these to the new Clio. I wouldn't do the Cooper S, I also think it's too 'girly' and the dash is gash!
Old 10 December 2006, 09:04 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You could go for the Clio 182 Trophy. They seem to be holding their value better than the standard 182.
Old 10 December 2006, 09:44 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

A used 182 is definitely a bargain right now. The trophy is a great car but not a lot different from the 182 with cup chassis or even the 172 cup (even cheaper) There are so many available, and it is likely a lot of hotter versions of the 197 to come out in the next few years.
Old 10 December 2006, 09:50 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

My previous MCS cost around the same to insure as my '03 WRX. It was just as thirsty and slower, though it did handle well. Build quality on the MCS was also very dubious (02 plate).

Get on to A Plan et al.
Old 10 December 2006, 10:15 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Bit confused by your post whether you are looking at a secondhand supercharged S ( as per title ) or a new one ( from your comment about it getting expensive to add what you want ).
The Clio 172/182 was supposedly more than a match for the old Cooper S but it's supposed to be a lot closer between the new turbo S and the 197.
I've got the old 168bhp S but have also driven the new turbo one.
The new turbo engine is very good - felt like almost zero lag - only putting your foot down at 50 in 5th or 6th could you feel hesitation whereas the old car would still go instantly.
The brakes IMO are much better on the new car - the ride is more refined ( even though new car was on 17s and mine is on 16s ) and you also feel like you are sitting lower ( higher waist of new car ). According to sales guy who'd been taking it home, the new S did almost exactly 5mpg more than an old s/c S on his journey.
The only thing i would wait for if you are keen on the new shape S is wait for the intro of the LSD ( supposedly March along with Cooper Works upgrades availability ) as I felt it wasn't as good as mine on turn in and seemed to be a bit more understeery compared to an older car with a LSD.

I'd drive both the Clio and Cooper S before shelling out 12-> 13 k though - only you can decide what's best for you but the above is my opinions on the Mini.
Old 10 December 2006, 10:18 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
You could go for the Clio 182 Trophy. They seem to be holding their value better than the standard 182.
Do you know what replacement shocks are likely to cost on a Trophy out of interest?
Old 11 December 2006, 10:16 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

If its the old Cooper S, then I'd stick with the Renault as the appalling ride, horrible engine and poor build quality will drive you up the wall so you may as well stick with the poor build quality of the Renault and have more fun.

If its the new Cooper S, then its a no-brainer. As Mike said, the brakes, handling, engine and ride are vastly improved and you'd be hard pressed to realise you're driving a turbocharged vehicle.

Mini resdicuals are impressive though, although as has already been stated these may soften on the old Mini since the re-launch of the newer model.
Old 11 December 2006, 10:26 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
If its the old Cooper S, then I'd stick with the Renault as the appalling ride, horrible engine and poor build quality will drive you up the wall so you may as well stick with the poor build quality of the Renault and have more fun.

If its the new Cooper S, then its a no-brainer. As Mike said, the brakes, handling, engine and ride are vastly improved and you'd be hard pressed to realise you're driving a turbocharged vehicle.
To be honest I didn't think there was much on it regards the handling between new and old Cooper S - if anything, the old one seemed a bit sharper on the patchy damp roads at the time. This was within the limitations of a test drive although the salesperson did let me press on a bit in the car.
Having said that, mine has a LSD and the new one did not - I'd want to try a new one with a LSD before saying there was any improvement there.
Certainly the ride ( despite the new car wearing 17s and mine being on 16s ) and brakes were better in the new car.
I've not had any build quality issues in my old spec S but i guess I have been lucky.
I also preferred the old type dash - to my mind the new one looked a bit more "plasticky" in the area of the lower centre console
Old 11 December 2006, 10:46 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My brother has a 06 Cooper S. It is like a mini BMW as far as quality, fit and finish goes. It is a likeable car, but not fast. He has optional 17's too which on Derbyshire country lanes is damn right dangerous!

It would depend on my mood as to which car I would favour though - both pretty good IMO.
Old 11 December 2006, 10:49 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

mmmm, strange, put my details in, changed my age, for a uk300 and getting quotes neaer a grand (although thats based on 3 years no claims)
Old 11 December 2006, 11:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

right bassed on 1 years no claims, aged 20 managed to get quote for £1342 with admiral.

just pm'd ya some tips on reducing costs.

and before anyone says don't lie about info, i have susgested limiting milage, parking in garage etc etc
Old 11 December 2006, 12:45 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

mate it is a wrx300 not a uk300. its a 2005 car. confused are saying 4.5K and elephant i got down to 2.3K. think im goin to stick with the scoob and pay the insurance because im being offer 12.5 for mine and they were 20k+ last year. i payed 19 (ish). id expeect it to sell on a forcourt for over 15 easy so 12.5 a bit low.

Quick Reply: clio 197 or 2 yr old cooper s?