Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Diesel 4x4 or People carrier

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2006, 09:35 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel 4x4 or People carrier

The wife is looking at either a 4x4 diesel or diesel people carrier. She is more inclined to the 4x4 because of it's high up posistion and proper 3 seater in the back as well as a boot. Spending upto about £17k. But the problem is she does a lot of stop start driving, but we also go abroad driving a couple of times a year, so it needs to do both jobs. Are the 4x4 horrendous on fuel around town/combined etc.. Or can you advise on another mode of transport. 3 kids and lots of luggage when travelling. HELP!
Old 22 November 2006, 09:38 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be prepared to be slaughtered for suggesting a 4x4 mate!

Unless of course you intend to go off road all the time - they let you have one on here then
Old 22 November 2006, 09:42 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Not everyones cup of tea, but you could get a brand spanking new Kia sedona for that kind of money, they have recently reconfigured the seating for 3 seats in the centre and 2 at the back.

My dad bought one new on an 04 plate, and he loves it, his has the 2.9 td and he waited for them to get a manual in for him (they always try to sell you an auto for some reason ), I have driven it, and find it a good drive.

His main concern was the resale values, and if you look at the resale values compared to the Voyagers etc, they are excellent.

They come with 2 side loading doors on the back also, so good for loading in tight spaces.

You will not fit much more in a 4x4 (I have a Mitsi Pajero), and when I change will probably go for a sedona .
Old 22 November 2006, 09:46 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Show her the crash stats. and buy a diesel estate car.

Most 4X4 are registered as light trucks and do not have to pass the same crash tests,also most struggle to get to low 20's mpg.

Unless she really wants a chelsea tractor.

All imho of course
Old 22 November 2006, 09:56 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
The wife is looking at either a 4x4 diesel or diesel people carrier. She is more inclined to the 4x4 because of it's high up posistion and proper 3 seater in the back as well as a boot.
I've had a diesel MY03 RAV4 for 3 yrs, and done some road trips around Spain with the family.

I don't understand your reasoning above - both have equally high positions, and the jeeps seem to be more two seats in the back than three. Plus, with a Sharambralaxy, you can take the two final seats out and have quite a reasonable spaced boot, plus 3 dedicated back seats for your kids.

With a 4x4 you'll pay a premium for big tyres, an unaerodynamic body shape and a 4wd system that you'll hardly ever need (unless you live North?). With the MPV, they all seem to come with extremely small engines, given the size and the load that they might carry, and you will really feel like you are driving a gutless van rather than a car - certain jeeps can be fairly car-like.

My car is being sold and replaced with an X3 as the noise on long motorway runs is unacceptable. The X3 at 160kph feels like mine at 120. Aside from 4x4 in crap weather, the only real plus of it is that it is a foot or so shorter, which helps when you're pushed for parking space in town. X3 also has more space inside than an X5, shockingly enough. I know I'll get slated on here for the choice, but that's from people who think I will pay full price for it so it doesn't offer value for money, luckily I get a massive work discount. It has a 2.0 diesel, 150bhp engine, which is small enough for economy (look at what one guy is getting from his 3.0d X5 on here - early 20s around town!!) - but powerful enough to move it in a hurry when necessary. My Rav4 has about 105bhp, by comparison.

HTH
Old 22 November 2006, 10:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

BTW here was my discussion a few months back -

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...ghlight=choose

Ford S-Max has to be worth a look for you, if in your price range.
Old 22 November 2006, 10:17 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a secondhand Merc ML270 CDi
Old 22 November 2006, 10:24 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I have the X5 3.0D. Around town (yes London) we get low 20's but it is an excellent comfy car that can be driven all day. Ignore the anti 4x4 people on this board. My X5 has better economy, lower emissions, lower servicing, lower insurance than the Impreza I sold.
Old 22 November 2006, 10:32 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
I have the X5 3.0D. Around town (yes London) we get low 20's but it is an excellent comfy car that can be driven all day. Ignore the anti 4x4 people on this board. My X5 has better economy, lower emissions, lower servicing, lower insurance than the Impreza I sold.

All very valid points, how would you compare it with 530D estate?
In which respects are the X5's better (esp. in London)?
Old 22 November 2006, 10:32 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Get yourself a secondhand Merc ML270 CDi
Please not the old model? Universally hated.
Old 22 November 2006, 12:37 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Well that is hardly difficult is it . The Impreza is probably the most polluting and expensive to run car for the average family man.

Don't get a 4x4. Your wife only wants one because she will look cooler pulling up at the school gates in one than in an MPV. What exactly will an MPV or a 4x4 do that an estate car will not?

I am so looking forward to the day when owners of 4x4s get taxed off the planet they are destroying .
Old 22 November 2006, 01:09 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Audi Allroad is the plan for Mrs Dunk's next car. Looks like a nice compromise on estate space with a bit of height & 4x4 grip.

D
Old 22 November 2006, 03:02 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Well that is hardly difficult is it . The Impreza is probably the most polluting and expensive to run car for the average family man.

Don't get a 4x4. Your wife only wants one because she will look cooler pulling up at the school gates in one than in an MPV. What exactly will an MPV or a 4x4 do that an estate car will not?

I am so looking forward to the day when owners of 4x4s get taxed off the planet they are destroying .
Why mention 4x4's in your statement ? All polluting cars should be taxed off the planet. M5's, Ferrari's, Impreza's etc etc It is becoming clear that all taxes will be based on emissions rather than size and most members of this forum are sports car fans and taxing will effect us all not just 4x4's.
Old 22 November 2006, 03:04 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
All very valid points, how would you compare it with 530D estate?
In which respects are the X5's better (esp. in London)?
Drive an Impreza around London for a day and then drive an X5 around and it is obvious which is a better daily car. Can't compare with a 530D as I have not driven one and Mrs Doo had no desire for one. Pulling up outside a bistro in Chelsea in an estate is hardly an option for a blond bimbo housewife
Old 22 November 2006, 03:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

<psst - you forgot the word "trophy">
Old 22 November 2006, 09:28 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Have a look at a Mitsubishi Delica - you get get 4x4 people carrier - good ones tend to be around £5k.

We had a brand new Previa a few years ago, but have got a Delica now - much better drive, more comfy and it goes almost anywhere

Tend to get mid 20's on the MPG (with the 2.8TD) - so quite good when compared to my old STi
Old 23 November 2006, 08:40 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
What exactly will an MPV or a 4x4 do that an estate car will not?
I've yet to come across an estate car that can accomodate 2 group2 and 1 group0 child seats on the rear seats.
Old 23 November 2006, 10:00 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Going through a similar thought process myself as looking to change the missues car now that I have got what I want. She currently drives an old scenic which is based on the mid ranged megane.

Believe it or not the scenic which is about the smallest MPV you can get was larger than my 5 series BMW in terms of internal usuable space. The back seats on a 5 series would stuggle to cope with 1 baby seat and 2 kids seats (1 being only a booster), this is due to the thick doors and side padding on the 5 series and many other equavilant.

In the scenic I can get 1xbaby seat, 1xbooster seat,1xfull childs seats,2 x girls bikes (6 years and 3 years), and a baby's pram. And still have loads of cubby holes for smaller items, and still feel spacious inside the cabin.

There are not many 4x4's, estates or large family saloons that are twice the size of a scenic that could do this.

We looked at the 4x4's and to be honest they are just big, lardy, juicy, terrible handling and really not that big inside. We had a Jeep grand cherrokee for a while and it was horrid to drive and drunk like a fish.

If you can get past the image thing of a MPV, they do exactly what they say on the tin. Honestly go look at even some of the smaller MPVs and try for space, our current wish list is a new shape Zafira SRI 20. Turbo (not the VXR as its a bit OTT for me, but at 17K you could get a nearly new VXR Zafira 240bhp out of the box twin zorst and a well hard people carrier), or new shape toyota corrola Verso. Both of these are small (comparitively), yet very spacious inside, better still that have flexible rear seating that can be turned into 2 seats. Or laid flat into the rear boot to create a large boot.

Cars like, Ford Galaxys Voyagers and the like, are great if you actually need 7 seats all the time, But if you want the luggage space instead of the 2 rear seats you need to remove the seats totally. Not so easy if say do some impulsive shopping one day and decide to remove the seats when you are miles away from home.

I have 3 kids and only like the idea of 7 seats if I want to ferry my nephews around or something like some time. I like the Zafira, Verso choice as most of the time you leave the 2 rear seats flat in the boot and lift up on the odd occassion you might want to give someone a lift.

MPV's are designed for maximum internal space and versatiliy, and fuel economy. 4x4's are designed for off road, or owners that want to show status.

To be honest I hate either but needs must. But if you are looking a very practical car, thats return good fuel economy and yet reasonable power and handling look no further than any of the MPV's. Give the 7 seater thing discussed above some consideration though.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Old 23 November 2006, 10:10 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Drive an Impreza around London for a day and then drive an X5 around and it is obvious which is a better daily car. Can't compare with a 530D as I have not driven one and Mrs Doo had no desire for one. Pulling up outside a bistro in Chelsea in an estate is hardly an option for a blond bimbo housewife

Sorry, I had forgotten about the "bimbo" factor when considering options.
Old 23 November 2006, 10:14 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Sorry, I had forgotten about the "bimbo" factor when considering options.
lol
Old 23 November 2006, 10:21 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Your wife should be utterly ashamed of herself for driving around London in an X5. I bet she could have had a much smaller car and still looked "cool". A total disgrace.
Old 23 November 2006, 10:32 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Why mention 4x4's in your statement ? All polluting cars should be taxed off the planet. M5's, Ferrari's, Impreza's etc etc It is becoming clear that all taxes will be based on emissions rather than size and most members of this forum are sports car fans and taxing will effect us all not just 4x4's.
My experience and opinions on Imprezas are widely known so I will not repeat them.

As for supercars, I think they offer significant R&D opportunities which create technology that filters down to more mainstream models. They will get taxed the same as 4x4s because it is politically easier to justify a system based solely on emissions. 4x4s offer nothing positive unless you actually take them off road.

Anyone who thinks that an emissions tax will signal the end of performance cars is very misguided. Manufacturers will adapt and produce cars that people want at prices they can afford. Ultimately it might mean we end up with lighter more nimble cars instead of the overpowered tanks that are easier to design.

Whatever happens the only thing that matters is doing what is right for the planet. If that ultimately means the end of a particular type of vehicle then sobeit. We'll just spend our cash on something else.