Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Integra Type DC2 - Should I Buy ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2006, 05:46 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Integra Type R DC2 - Should I Buy ? ? ?

Hi everyone,

As usual after some advice/opinions/abuse etc . . . .

I've currently got a MY95uk impreza turbo completely standard. I've had the car since I was 19 & now 23.
Due to having owned the car so long, bit fed up of the petrol costs & wanting a change to a something different (ideally a 2 door ;-)

So i'm thinking about buying an Intergra Type R DC2.

Has anyone ever owned one, know anything about them good or bad etc

All comments appreciated,
Cheers Brent

Last edited by TaffyB; 20 October 2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: 00
Old 20 October 2006, 06:01 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 20 October 2006, 06:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Top cars IMO defo worth a look.
Old 20 October 2006, 06:40 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you stretch to a DC5? Think they are pretty cool but closer to the £10K mark I think.
Old 20 October 2006, 07:26 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Have a look round here mate, Integra DC2 :: Index some good info and helpful chaps in there. Am a member myself of course, had my DC2 for two an half years now, and still enjoy it. Cracking cars.
Old 20 October 2006, 07:51 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SVVG
Can you stretch to a DC5? Think they are pretty cool but closer to the £10K mark I think.
And the rest!
Old 20 October 2006, 08:27 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Owned 2 ............
Fantastic cars - probably one of my all time favorites.
Rock solid build and a fantastic drive

A bit raw - but hell the VTEC moment is just amazing !
Old 20 October 2006, 08:38 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My friend has just written his off, but up until that point he loved it. And i have to agree it was an amazing car. But one you got over the vtec bit, the handling, the fact it has an LSD [the list goes on] you still have a reasonably greedy [on fuel] not that cheap to run 10 year old honda [in design], that isn't that fast where it matters.

If fuel and running costs are becoming an issue, well i hate to mention the 'D' word, but modern oil burners have a lot going for them.

Consider your all options, but for me the DC2 is a fantastic car
Old 20 October 2006, 08:53 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
My friend has just written his off, but up until that point he loved it. And i have to agree it was an amazing car. But one you got over the vtec bit, the handling, the fact it has an LSD [the list goes on] you still have a reasonably greedy [on fuel] not that cheap to run 10 year old honda [in design], that isn't that fast where it matters.

If fuel and running costs are becoming an issue, well i hate to mention the 'D' word, but modern oil burners have a lot going for them.

Consider your all options, but for me the DC2 is a fantastic car
Dont think you can put the oil burner and the DC2 in the same sentence really.. No diesel exists which is at all comparible..

Ive owned a 190hp/390NM Golf PD150 and a DC2... Nothing is at all similar apart from the power output..

Brent - If you fancy one, buy one... you wont regret it..

This is the noise they make (sorry about the quality!)

www.haddock.tv/temp/100.wmv

Chris
Old 20 October 2006, 11:35 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

They are not comparable but I doubt very much my dc2 would have out run in-gear a modern tweaked diesel in a straight line. I'd love to have done the comparison (for a few weeks I owned both cars......should have done the head to head tests I suppose. Using a rather crude stopwatch method the teg stuggled like **** in-gear......yes yes I know I should have changed to 4th may be even 3rd but how many seconds would I give away to the oil burner that didn't ?

between 60 - 100 kleptons there isn't as much in it as some would like to think.......

However show the cars a corner or 2 and the teg is off in the distance!

Last edited by Fabioso; 20 October 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 21 October 2006, 09:32 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Christ
Dont think you can put the oil burner and the DC2 in the same sentence really.. No diesel exists which is at all comparible..

Ive owned a 190hp/390NM Golf PD150 and a DC2... Nothing is at all similar apart from the power output..

Brent - If you fancy one, buy one... you wont regret it..

This is the noise they make (sorry about the quality!)

www.haddock.tv/temp/100.wmv

Chris
I didn't compare the two

The chap has an expensive to run Scooby. Fancies something cheaper to run. The DC2 isn't cheapest car to run by a long way, and relative to a 2.0 turbo will be quite flat to drive. Most modern cars handle well at 70% and diesels are cheap all round and the power is easily exploited a lot of the time....................

The chap will have to make his own choice as to what he wants out of the car. Options

Last edited by Andy M3; 21 October 2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 21 October 2006, 09:39 AM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I didn't compare the two

The chap has an expensive to run DC2. Fancies something cheaper to run. The DC2 isn't cheapest car to run by a long way, and relative to a 2.0 turbo will be quite flat to drive. Most modern cars handle well at 70% and diesels are cheap all round and the power is easily exploited a lot of the time....................

The chap will have to make his own choice as to what he wants out of the car. Options
No, hes got an Impreza.... All I meant one someone who wants a car like a DC2 prob wouldnt be looking at a Diesel, as there a very few (if any) diesels which offer the same drive..

I thought the DC2 was pretty cheap to run too, although at the time I was using the car for a 45mile commute, and sat at 80 for much of the time (and more and its in "the zone"!)..

Chris
Old 21 October 2006, 10:10 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I had one. And an S2000.

Do a search, you will find all you need in this forum - many many posts.

A guy I knew had a mildly modded one and it was ridiculous fast. Even in a straight line it was impressive, but round bends

Think it had ITG Maxogen, Unichip, Decat, Zorst, Manifold and some strut bars.

Mine was immaculate beyond belief. Look at the seat bolsters! I sold it with 40k for about £7k from memory.

Looking at the pics, I do miss it if I wanted a track car, look no further.

MB
Old 21 October 2006, 11:21 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Get one, you will not regret.

I wwnt from a 1994 WRX with 270 BHP to a JDM ITR and haven't looked back. It is special as there are not too many around, and the handling is fantastic.

They aren't slow - low 14's to do the quarter mile which puts them a second behind the scoobs but with a 0-60 of 6.2 it means that the 60 - 100 time is about the same as scoobs.

They sound awesome too.

Much cheaper to run than my scoob was. I save about £10 every time I fill up. I get 300 miles from a £36-£40 tank on a long run and mixed town/country with vtec grins gives me 250 miles for £36-£40. In the scoob I used to get about 200 miles for £40-£45.

T1R's for the scoob were £90 a corner, for the ITR I pay £50 a corner. It all adds up!

Other examples of low costs:
Cambelt change £110 including labour + VAT (ex honda dealership)
Front brake discs from Honda main dealer £50 each

Honda dealers seem happier to order parts for imports than subaru dealers I've experienced.

Engines are bullet proof.

What to watch out for:
Clutches tend to go (suddenly) at about 65000 miles (£340 ro replace including labour and vat but £450 at a honda dealer). Engine mounts get tired. Drivers side seat bolsters get dirty and squashed.

Here's pics of mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jai/car019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jai/car021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...jai/car023.jpg

Last edited by Roojai; 21 October 2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 21 October 2006, 02:38 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Afternoon everyone,

First of all thanks to everyone who has posted a reply, all the info has been helpful.

In response to "Andy M3", hav thought a little about the dreaded D one, but to be honest i'm only 23, no kids, no wife, no ties & i have never owned a 2 seater sports car and although the D option does make sense, i'm not quite at the point in my life where sensilbe choices are required yet. Cheers for the suggestion though and maybe in a few years i'll look down the A3 TDi option?

As for the DC5, unfortunately as only graduated in July & only been in my Grad Engineering Job for a month or so, cant stretch the grad loan that far yet, but would consider one after maybe an S2000?

From what everyone has said, especially Roojai, i think i will go ahead and get one, yeah on fuel as pointed out it might not be that much better, but what i'll save in running costs will make up for it & that vtec sound, V.V.V Nice !!!

The questions i got left to ask, unless anyone else has any comments, is jap or uk? Buying advice, what to look out for etc, where to look, white black or red, modded or standard, etc etc blah blah blah.

Plus am i really guna be disappointed when i get in it and boot it compared to my scoob?

Cheers again all, keep the comments coming
Old 21 October 2006, 03:59 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Jap cars have a more aggressive cam resulting in 10BHP more, which is not much but enables 200bhp with breathing mods.

UK cars are much cheaper and will have history. I prefer the look of the jap car.

Changes were made in 1997 so 98spec cars have bigger brakes and different gearing. check out that website mentioned above Integra DC2 :: Index
Old 21 October 2006, 06:17 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Taffy, you will find it frustrating until you get used to it. Make sure you give it time. It will keep up with a standard UK classic scoob, it just wont feel like it due to the lack of torque. Be patient with it and you will enjoy it For me it goes round bends quicker than a scoob.

Get one with air con, and decent mods. Jap spec ones are also rated higher due to jap spec fuel also.

MB
Old 21 October 2006, 07:32 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

I had a UK 98 ITR and loved every minute of it. Coming from a fairly modded ITR to a standard wrx was a bit of a let down initially, the scoob didnt feel anywhere near as quick , a remap cured that but I always longed for the high reving vtec engine ,rev wise its all over in the scoob just as its kicking off in the ITR.

Definately a UK IMO, they look much nicer at the front and parts are readily avaiable , definately championship white as that was the only colour they came in to start with. Modded or standard , personaly I would get one with as much done as you can , tuning parts are quite expensive and there isnt really much scope to use crap parts so most are really well done.
Old 21 October 2006, 07:37 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

A guy I know has a mate with a turbo one. Apparently its mental

Id still like a DC5. And an NSX, but wont fit in the garage

I also think if Honda brought out an AWD turbo they would severely clean up. Honda are the daddy IMO.

MB
Old 21 October 2006, 08:41 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Taffy, you will find it frustrating until you get used to it. Make sure you give it time. It will keep up with a standard UK classic scoob, it just wont feel like it due to the lack of torque. Be patient with it and you will enjoy it For me it goes round bends quicker than a scoob.
MB
Oh, they'll keep up with more than UK Classic Scoobs if you try hard enough

Anglesey Trackday pic

I had a really good laugh chasing both those Scoobs earlier this year, the STi was trying too hard but the Classic was really well driven. All good clean fun.
Old 21 October 2006, 10:15 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

One of my mates had a DC2 and we did a track day in it and all i can say is what an amazing car i had an 05 sti at the time and the handing and braking was almost as good.
These cars are very very good if i was you in your position i would go for the DC2, a lot people i have spoken to say they are better than the DC5 anyway.
Old 21 October 2006, 10:22 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Below 5800 rpm they feel vey weak but as long as you keep it in vtec by redlining it all the time then they are quick. I love redlining a car and hearing the roar of the engine so it works well for me. Torque is low so there is no kick up the butt.

Having said that, they are so responsive. Every input in the throttle has an immediate effect and the steering is better than my wifes MX5 which is supposed to have great steering feel (and was way better than my scoob which had a bump steer mod).

Its much more an all or nothing car. You drive around slowly not using the vtec or you drive around at max power keeping it in the vtec zone, holding revs of 7000rpm through corners, not wanting to drop down a gear and drop out of vtec. The subaru can fly between slow corners, fast one minute, slow the next.

The unichip remap costs about £450 and can drop the vtec point to 4400rpm and increase power by about 10bhp across the range. Makes it much more driveable but I have not tried yet. The remap also enables your breathing mods to be used to their full potential.

For motorway journeys you will be doing 4800 rpm at 80mph in 5th so can get a bit annoying. Its not very loud but just not as quiet as a scoob for cruising.

I think in the dry they do corner better than the scoob and are so well balanced that you can induce oversteer and control it like a rear wheel drive car.
Old 22 October 2006, 11:12 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Im having DC5 fantasies again

MB
Old 24 October 2006, 01:53 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments guys, i'm definately going to get one, thinking a uk car at the moment cos prefer the front of them.

So i suppose the next questions to ask are:

what to look out for?

What expect to pay?

Where to look?

etc etc etc etc etc

Any comments appreciated
Old 24 October 2006, 01:54 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TaffyB
Hi everyone,

As usual after some advice/opinions/abuse etc . . . .

I've currently got a MY95uk impreza turbo completely standard. I've had the car since I was 19 & now 23.
Due to having owned the car so long, bit fed up of the petrol costs & wanting a change to a something different (ideally a 2 door ;-)

So i'm thinking about buying an Intergra Type R DC2.

Has anyone ever owned one, know anything about them good or bad etc

All comments appreciated,
Cheers Brent
My mate has one

Very impressive power to weight ratio, more so when the VTEC kicks in

Impressive rev range too!

Awesome handling for a FWD car!

Can be expensive if they go wrong..... & brake discs can be a bitch to get hold of
Old 24 October 2006, 04:26 PM
AudiFister
Scooby Newbie

Ever thought about an Audi?
Get the 1.9tdi and get it remapped.
Much classier than a Honda or Subaru.
Old 24 October 2006, 05:25 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

did think about the S3 old shape one, but fancy more a sports coupe to be honest, but yeah do like the audi's.

mate has an x plate A4 Avant Quattro & its beautiful but a bit to old for me.
Old 24 October 2006, 06:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFister
Your 'avin' a laff! you 'avin' a laff!
Old 24 October 2006, 07:43 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Just totally ignore posts like that. Don't give them the attention they crave.

MB
Old 24 October 2006, 07:51 PM
Audis-get-me-hard
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AudiFister
Gotta agree.

Audi - whats not to like!

Quick Reply: Integra Type DC2 - Should I Buy ? ? ?