Audi S3

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2006, 01:57 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S3

Decisions Decisions

Been looking at the A3 170 Sline TDi Quattro, and had my eye turned by the new S3

One of the reasons for changing my car is to get a better economy and more comfortable commute when I have to go down the motorway. Now the S3 is supposedly returning 31mpg combined which aint bad at all. Does anyone have experience of the VAG FSI engines and can tell me whether claimed mpg is spot on, close or whollu unachievable?

Thanks

Last edited by MattW; 17 October 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:00 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Decisions Decisions

Been looking at the S3 170 Sline TDi Quattro, and had my eye turned by the new S3

Your not kidding - lol

S3 is a bit old now compared to the Sline. I would expect similar 'real world' performance too - unless you are referring to the not yet released new one
Old 17 October 2006, 02:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Your not kidding - lol

S3 is a bit old now compared to the Sline. I would expect similar 'real world' performance too - unless you are referring to the not yet released new one
Blush - Amended

New one not yet released

This baby
Audi UK > New Cars > S3

Last edited by MattW; 17 October 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:08 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Ah ok - my bad.

So you are choosing between a new A3 diesel, or S3 petrol right?

This is purely down to your budget. An S3 is a lovely car all the spec, lots of power and tuning potential. The diesel is nice and much cheaper to own over say a 3 year period. Do some sums first i would say
Old 17 October 2006, 02:11 PM
mitchwh
Scooby Newbie

Hi Matt

i have the 2.0T FSI Quattro A4 Avant and that is returning the combined figure of 31.1 mpg without a problem - even with 'momentary' wanders above the speed limit.
It isnt as punchy as the Scoob turbo i used to have but is nice an quiet at speed and does fine on the 90miles to work (when i go in)

Mitch
Old 17 October 2006, 02:38 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Ah ok - my bad.

So you are choosing between a new A3 diesel, or S3 petrol right?

This is purely down to your budget. An S3 is a lovely car all the spec, lots of power and tuning potential. The diesel is nice and much cheaper to own over say a 3 year period. Do some sums first i would say
The trouble is I have a schedule which looks like this for example: 6 week commute by car where a diesel would be great then a 6 week commute on the train which means the car is parked up at the train station.

I only do about 10k miles a year and get 40p a mile for my business mileage. So it won't cost me anymore, it just means I don't make as much money

However, when your expenses cheque comes in, it makes you tighter than a measly scotsman!!
Old 17 October 2006, 02:39 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mitchwh
Hi Matt

i have the 2.0T FSI Quattro A4 Avant and that is returning the combined figure of 31.1 mpg without a problem - even with 'momentary' wanders above the speed limit.
It isnt as punchy as the Scoob turbo i used to have but is nice an quiet at speed and does fine on the 90miles to work (when i go in)

Mitch
Sounds good, some of the VW Gti owners have complained about the mpg hence my question. Thanks for that.
Old 17 October 2006, 02:58 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

The new S3 will have circa 260bhp. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to see anything better than 25mpg with a light foot. It is, after all, a 2 litre 4wd turbo. Can you think of any cars with that specification that offer good mpg ? Also don't forget to add the cost of higher insurance, road tax, servicing, parts and finance to the list price.

For what it is worth I have had a sit in the new S3. It was a bright orange one. Even in orange it didn't look that exciting. Very nice, yes, but not exciting. A bit like the Focus ST really. The interior is, however, top notch.

One final thought...have you considered a new Civic diesel? Mine has every toy under the sun, including some really unique ones, and costs thousands less than the German equivalent .
Old 17 October 2006, 03:19 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
The new S3 will have circa 260bhp. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to see anything better than 25mpg with a light foot. It is, after all, a 2 litre 4wd turbo. Can you think of any cars with that specification that offer good mpg ? Also don't forget to add the cost of higher insurance, road tax, servicing, parts and finance to the list price.

For what it is worth I have had a sit in the new S3. It was a bright orange one. Even in orange it didn't look that exciting. Very nice, yes, but not exciting. A bit like the Focus ST really. The interior is, however, top notch.

One final thought...have you considered a new Civic diesel? Mine has every toy under the sun, including some really unique ones, and costs thousands less than the German equivalent .
I live in Swindon, Honda is definitely out!!!

The S3 ticks the comfy place to be option though, and residuals should be good. I'm not after exciting, discrete would be nice for a while.
Old 17 October 2006, 04:33 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I think you could see decent MPG return from the S3 as according to power charts there is plenty of torque at 2000 rpm
Old 17 October 2006, 04:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

NW Mark - a Smacs member used to see 30mpg plus from his modified Audi S3. He actually said that it was better than his old 2.0 Focus on juice
Old 17 October 2006, 05:23 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

My old Audi S3, REVO chipped on a motorway jaunt would easily see 35mpg, and even more if taken easy.

On my normal commute to work, only 4 miles each way in town traffic i used to get about 26-28mpg.

Mark

p.s. which was about the same as my old focus, a 1.8 zetec, although probably had my foot to the floor more often to get it to move

p.p.s and is miles better mpg wise than my new focus

Last edited by NWMark; 17 October 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 11:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Right, just work on the missus now and decide on colour
Old 18 October 2006, 08:36 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NWMark
My old Audi S3, REVO chipped on a motorway jaunt would easily see 35mpg, and even more if taken easy.

On my normal commute to work, only 4 miles each way in town traffic i used to get about 26-28mpg.

Mark

p.s. which was about the same as my old focus, a 1.8 zetec, although probably had my foot to the floor more often to get it to move

p.p.s and is miles better mpg wise than my new focus

Sorry Mark i should get my facts right first

Hows the Focus running? any mods planned?
Old 18 October 2006, 10:29 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Sorry Mark i should get my facts right first

Hows the Focus running? any mods planned?

Car great, nicely run in now with 3500 miles on the clock, revs much more freely now. Doesnt boost as smoothly through the rev range as the Audi used to, which has the advantage of a nice shove in the back at 4000rpm but the disadvantage that its through only 2 wheels so its really easy to wheel spin ifs it wet and greasy.

Really have to be mindful to not just floor the throttle now

Although some of that is 'Bluefins' fault and not fords.

Mark
Old 21 October 2006, 04:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ordered a new S3 today for delivery in January (Hopefully!). The STi is sold so will have to get a cheap run about for the meantime.
Old 21 October 2006, 06:08 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

Does the S3 come with that flat bottomed steering wheel as standard or is it an option? looks so much better OR was it just in press shots and not available?
Old 21 October 2006, 06:25 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Monkeybone
Does the S3 come with that flat bottomed steering wheel as standard or is it an option? looks so much better OR was it just in press shots and not available?
£270 option. Have specced it on mine.
Old 21 October 2006, 06:41 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just being nosy. With options, how much did the little fella set you back?
Old 22 October 2006, 12:39 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Just being nosy. With options, how much did the little fella set you back?

Added Bose, Front and rear armrest with load through, metallic paint, Ipod console, Elec folding mirrors, multi function steering wheel with flat bottom, automatic wipers/lights and price is under 29k. No discounts available on List or options.

The dealer tells me they have 30 allocated for 2007

Lot of cash but is well specced as standard and promises to be a quick, comfortable and relatively economical car. Looking forward to getting it.
Old 22 October 2006, 01:18 AM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

£270 option. Have specced it on mine.
I think it makes the world of difference looks wise to the cabin, well worth it
Old 23 October 2006, 10:38 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Have you not specced the RS4 seats?

Thinking about getting one next year, and although expensive, I'd have to spec the RS4 seats.
With other items, I get a list price of £30,316.85 (Gulp !!)
Old 23 October 2006, 12:35 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Have you not specced the RS4 seats?

Thinking about getting one next year, and although expensive, I'd have to spec the RS4 seats.
With other items, I get a list price of £30,316.85 (Gulp !!)
General opinion seems to be they are too tight and the standard seats are just fine. Also the cost!!! £1600 notes
Old 23 October 2006, 02:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

General opinion seems to be they are too tight
Only if your a right Fat B@stard

Seriously though, My old man is, while not hugely Fat, he is over weight, and he fits in them fine, even with the sport button pressed. Although I think he has to de-activate them to get out again

I don't think the S3 (RS4) seats will bolster-up, so they should be fine.

Plus, it's only money. What else are you going to do with it??
Old 23 October 2006, 02:28 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Only if your a right Fat B@stard

Seriously though, My old man is, while not hugely Fat, he is over weight, and he fits in them fine, even with the sport button pressed. Although I think he has to de-activate them to get out again

I don't think the S3 (RS4) seats will bolster-up, so they should be fine.

Plus, it's only money. What else are you going to do with it??
Tis only money but am looking at a 13k cost to change already, and to be fair I don't think you'll get the money back on resale as seat is a seat after all (part ex)
Old 23 October 2006, 07:39 PM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've been nosing at these as the step dad has to change his in may and being a big kid he's looking already (never happy once he's got something, always looking for the next car!), I reckon it'd be a good choice for him.

Bar the Impreza (which he's already had) and the S3 what other 4wd "hot hatches" that are actually nippy are there? Ooh forgot the R32 as well. Say for up to 30k?
Old 23 October 2006, 08:16 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

MattW.........

Lots of S3 chat going on here if you interested...
Tyresmoke.Net: Viewing forum: Audi A3/S3

Cheers

PS, think I bought a Speedline alloy off you for my old Impreza
Old 23 October 2006, 10:01 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
MattW.........

Lots of S3 chat going on here if you interested...
Tyresmoke.Net: Viewing forum: Audi A3/S3

Cheers

PS, think I bought a Speedline alloy off you for my old Impreza
Thanks Matt, been asking a few questions on there. It seems that someone has had week one as a build date which puts theirs at the end of Jan delivery. That gets around the time that I'd rather wait till Mar 01 for an shiny 07 reg. Will have to ask dealer tomorrow.

Speedline alloy, not me, only wheels I've sold on here are Sti Golds
Old 24 October 2006, 12:01 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Matt - looks like you've been thinking along the same lines as me.

I'm looking at the new S3 for next year, had 4 scoobs now so looking for a change. I guessed you wouldn't get anything off the list price, affraid you've just confirmed it.

I'm looking to add the flat bottomed steering wheel, Bose, and Sat Nav (after having the Navman nicked from the car) - not really bothered about the rest - just frightened to work out the cost.

Decided on the colour?

Gareth
Old 24 October 2006, 07:21 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GarethE
Matt - looks like you've been thinking along the same lines as me.

I'm looking at the new S3 for next year, had 4 scoobs now so looking for a change. I guessed you wouldn't get anything off the list price, affraid you've just confirmed it.

I'm looking to add the flat bottomed steering wheel, Bose, and Sat Nav (after having the Navman nicked from the car) - not really bothered about the rest - just frightened to work out the cost.

Decided on the colour?

Gareth
The nicest colour is Lava Grey but for some reason they don't do it on the S3 although they do on the A3 and Sportback It left me with a dilemma as the Dolphin Grey is only metallic and not Pearl and looks a bit flat. The Pearl Black is nice but will be a mare to keep clean. Discounted the flat colours and Red so plumped for Sprint Blue, looks good and only available on an "S" car. My only reservation was it was WRC Blue-ish and my wife also has a blue VAG car.

Changd my spec to Bose, Front and rear armrest with load through, metallic paint, Ipod console, Bluetooth phone, multi function steering wheel with flat bottom, automatic wipers/lights and lumbar support. Just over 29k

The S3 configurator is here : Audi Configurator - select model

Quick Reply: Audi S3