Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

25th Anniversary Golf

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2006, 09:11 AM
trigger64
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25th Anniversary Golf

Sold my Scooby a few months back looking at a VW Golf Anniversary 1.8 T in Red, anyones views or faults with this car would be appreciated

Whats the verdict on the colour this colour seems to be rare is it because poeple stick hold of them or because its a bad colour what ya think

Volkswagen : 2002 Tornado Red 25th Anniversary GTI 1.8T
Old 14 October 2006, 11:34 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Personally I think you're crazy to even consider spending that much on a 2002 GTi, Anniversary model or not.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:39 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Take a look on Autotrader, there's a VW dealer (Arnold Clark Jordanhill) with a black anniversary model with 16,000 miles for £10,500
Old 14 October 2006, 11:59 AM
trigger64
Scooby Newbie

Yeah he has just reduced the car to 12k but still think it is top dollar

Thanks for the comments
Old 14 October 2006, 04:27 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

When you bear in mind that an Anniversary is basically a 1.8T with a few cosmetic goodies and 180bhp, I'd spend half that on a normal 1.8T, get it Revo'd and stick a set of wheels on it for about £8k
Old 14 October 2006, 04:31 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

BTW, FWIW, if your set on an Anni, get a GTTDI one as opposed to the petrol turbo, you won't regret it
Old 14 October 2006, 04:43 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

its a red golf mate, they are ten a penny round this way?
Old 14 October 2006, 05:18 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

tornado red isn't that rare, my caddy van was that colour
Old 14 October 2006, 07:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Personally I think you're crazy to even consider spending that much on a 2002 GTi, Anniversary model or not.
Agree: that series of Golf GTi was more of a GiT!

Awful performance car!

Ns04
Old 14 October 2006, 07:42 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

I've always liked the Anniversary Golf GTI, looks very classy and has an extremeley large following that seems to keep prices quite bouyant.

They look very different from 'normal' golf's and although the MK4 did lose a lot of it GTI status, I'd buy one.

I think it's a case of whatever floats your boat. If you like it then go for it. A bullet proof, turbo, 180bhp motor that looks different to every other Golf.

All IMHO of course.

Ben

Old 16 October 2006, 04:27 PM
trigger64
Scooby Newbie

Been to view the car one major downside its had 4 previous owners, the current guy is owner number 5 which would obviously make me number 6?
With only 20k on the clock this is very high

All the mileage is warranted with services, MOT's etc took a mechanic friend of mine to view the car as far as we were both concerned and by looking at the mileage there is absoloutely no doubt this mileage is correct.

My question is how much would it put you off buying the car?

There literally is not a mark on it?
Old 16 October 2006, 04:30 PM
Torpid
BANNED

What happens when you realise it's a MKIV Golf and therefore cr@p to drive and you want rid of it? 5 previous owners and 30K miles is going some isn't it?

I had a MKIV (albeit a remapped 150 diesel) which the previous owner had added anniversary suspension and brakes to and it was still awful to drive. Put bluntly they're *pants* and have a list of faults as long as your face will be after buying one.
Old 16 October 2006, 04:41 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I had a remapped MKIV GTi PD150 and it was pretty reliable, nice build quality but absolutely no excitement when driving and the handling was pants. (The biggest shock was borrowing a stocl Ford focis and realising it had a better chassis)
Old 16 October 2006, 05:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

A very mad price for such an ordinary car. I've had 2 mk4 Golfs.
Old 16 October 2006, 05:21 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid
I had a MKIV (albeit a remapped 150 diesel) which the previous owner had added anniversary suspension and brakes to and it was still awful to drive. Put bluntly they're *pants* and have a list of faults as long as your face will be after buying one.
I've went from a string of 6 Imprezas to a MK IV GTTDi 150 with Revo remap and I think its a brilliant car. Okay its never going to handle or grip like an Impreza, but its got 300 lb/ft and 50 mpg. The car has excellent build quality, stong residuals and its a nice looking car. Not often you hear these phrases being used about Imprezas!
Also it doesn't attract the nightmare attention from the ******* that the Scoobs did.

A very Q car and it doesn't claim to be performance car of the century.

As for faults, mine with 60k on th eclock has had a grand total of -:
faulty brake light switch - £5 fix from main dealer
Old 16 October 2006, 05:23 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

P.S.

If the Evo journos who drive all manner of exotica on a daily basis think its great, then that speaks volumes in my opinion

Volkswagen Golf GT TDi PD 150 | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo
Old 16 October 2006, 05:25 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The same Evo journalists that thought the RB5 was the best classic Impreza?
Old 16 October 2006, 05:49 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Red face

It was ...............
Old 16 October 2006, 05:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Wasn't. Pick any of my last 3 Imprezas and compare it to an RB5
Old 16 October 2006, 07:39 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
The same Evo journalists that thought the RB5 was the best classic Impreza?
Yes the very same ones, well done!

And the RB5 was the best UK market classic Impreza at that time. Until the P1 came along however some would argue that it remained the best even in the P1's company
Old 16 October 2006, 09:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nearly 13 grand, jesus, you could get an S3 for that or not much more.
Old 17 October 2006, 08:21 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, Glass give a value of this car, with this mileage, at £9050 in excellent condition - assuming it is in excellent condition, then you are still at almost £4k over the Glass value. Add a grand or so on to this for the dealer margin (as a best guess) and you are still way off the price that it should be going for. And it's private, so it should be cheaper than a dealer anyway.

You may think it's top dollar, but is that because that's what you want to (over) spend... the guy selling is having a laugh and at this rate, will be laughing all the more. It's 4 years old and is on it's 6th owner... very weird.
Old 17 October 2006, 08:32 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by mightyyid
For what it's worth, Glass give a value of this car, with this mileage, at £9050 in excellent condition - assuming it is in excellent condition, then you are still at almost £4k over the Glass value. Add a grand or so on to this for the dealer margin (as a best guess) and you are still way off the price that it should be going for. And it's private, so it should be cheaper than a dealer anyway.

You may think it's top dollar, but is that because that's what you want to (over) spend... the guy selling is having a laugh and at this rate, will be laughing all the more. It's 4 years old and is on it's 6th owner... very weird.
The book values don't really apply to these cars, Golf fanatics will pay well over the odds to get them. Problem is that the car HAS to be low mileage to make the money. As soon as you start using it value will drop away.
IMO these cars are massively overpriced considering how very, very ordinary they are.
MKIV's have a list of faults as long as your arm as well. They may well be screwed together well but they aren't very well designed.

13 grand will buy you some very nice cars indeed, far better than the anniversary golf.

as has already been mentioned

Audi S3
32,000 miles, 2002, dark blue, low mileage, ABS, alarm and immobiliser, 18" alloy wheels, body coloured bumpers. Black Recaro leather seats, 6 CD-disk changer, electric windows, remote central locking, climate control. Audi FSH, service 3,000 miles ago, VGC. £13,000. ONO
Old 17 October 2006, 10:34 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Yes the very same ones, well done!

And the RB5 was the best UK market classic Impreza at that time. Until the P1 came along however some would argue that it remained the best even in the P1's company
IIRC Evo named the RB5 the best against imports and also a P1. I'd welcome any misguided moron to argue with me that an RB5 was a better car than a P1.
Old 17 October 2006, 04:52 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

IIRC Evo named the RB5 the best against imports and also a P1. I'd welcome any misguided moron to argue with me that an RB5 was a better car than a P1.
<midguided moron mode on>

What is better?

2 less doors?

Guaranteed detonation (within warranty if you were lucky! )

A few tenths of a second quicker to 60mph?

A watered down wannabe Type R?

Personally I bought a MY03 STI over a P1 and subsequently traded said car for an RB5, over a P1
Old 17 October 2006, 05:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Cool

<midguided moron mode on>

What is better?

2 less doors?
2 doors are always better
Guaranteed detonation (within warranty if you were lucky! )
Mine didn't and hasn't detonated. In anycase, it was a problem for all classic Imprezas IIRC.
A few tenths of a second quicker to 60mph?
I'd say over a second quicker if you pit 4.6 seconds against 5.7
A watered down wannabe Type R?
What's a typeR got to do with a p1 versus rb5? For the record I've had a typeR and a P1 and the P1 is not a watered down version

Personally I bought a MY03 STI over a P1 and subsequently traded said car for an RB5, over a P1
I'd have a P1 again all day long against an 03
Old 17 October 2006, 05:33 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

2 doors are always better
I think many would disagree!

Mine didn't and hasn't detonated. In anycase, it was a problem for all classic Imprezas IIRC.
Congratulations, you are in the minority! And as for "all classic Imprezas".... not so. Yeah there will have been the odd example, but it could hardly be described as common, like it can on the P1

I'd say over a second quicker if you pit 4.6 seconds against 5.7
Since it was Evo's comparison that was mentioned, they refer to the RB5 PPP which is way less than a second slower to 60mph More like 0.2 seconds IIRC

What's a typeR got to do with a p1 versus rb5? For the record I've had a typeR and a P1 and the P1 is not a watered down version
I'm stating the bad points of the P1 and the fact that it is a Type R wannabe is one of it's bad points.
As for "not watered down"... gimme a break!

This has been discussed to death on here for years and there aren't many who would argue that the P1 is not merely a watered down Type R.

I'd have a P1 again all day long against an 03
Theres no accounting for taste I guess
Old 17 October 2006, 05:37 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Anyway, you brought up the RB5 debate, the fact is that drivers of all types of exotica (Evo writers) rate the TDi 150 highly, so thats good enough for me, certainly more influential than your opinion!
Old 17 October 2006, 05:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think many would disagree!
Must be a reason why 2 door versions of saloons are always more expensive

Congratulations, you are in the minority! And as for "all classic Imprezas".... not so. Yeah there will have been the odd example, but it could hardly be described as common, like it can on the P1
It is common to all classics call any subaru engine builder. Doubtless they have done many rebuilds on RB5s as well as P1s.

Since it was Evo's comparison that was mentioned, they refer to the RB5 PPP which is way less than a second slower to 60mph More like 0.2 seconds IIRC
So now you want to compare it with a ppp, remind us all again what power a ppp impreza has then compare that to the power from a P1

I'm stating the bad points of the P1 and the fact that it is a Type R wannabe is one of it's bad points.
As for "not watered down"... gimme a break!
Ok, let's discuss the differences between an RB5 and a uk turbo, not many in fact. The most significant was the crap 'blue steel' paint. I had that colour on my typeR and it is indeed a very crap colour. Other than that and a few insignificant differences then it could be argued that a UK turbo is a considerably better purchase.

This has been discussed to death on here for years and there aren't many who would argue that the P1 is not merely a watered down Type R.
If you want a real comparison it's best to have asked those who have owned both not magazine quoters.

Theres no accounting for taste I guess
Very true
Old 17 October 2006, 05:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Anyway, you brought up the RB5 debate, the fact is that drivers of all types of exotica (Evo writers) rate the TDi 150 highly, so thats good enough for me, certainly more influential than your opinion!
You inadvertantly brought up the RB5 issue when you started praising evo mag. I've never slated the tdi 150. I've driven 2 of them and indeed before I purchased my current Impreza was going to buy one. The fact that the ones I looked at were abused dogs at premium prices put me off a little. If I was to get another tdi golf it would be a 130.

Quick Reply: 25th Anniversary Golf