Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Quick R5

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 04:30 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick R5

Never knew how fast these things were until i had a wee tussle with one the other night.

Filled the STI up and took her for a wee cold night spin, overtook a few cars on a long bit of a road (you know the slow ones that do 40-50mph on a 60)

then next thing i know i look in the mirror and theres what looked like a clean R5 behind me in 'up my ****-i wanna race mode' so decided to go for it...

it was no more than 2 car lengths behind me up to around the 100 mark and even round very tight bends, then i decided to turn off and went our seperate ways

Anybody had any 'experiences' with them, dont see many about these days?
Old 13 October 2006, 04:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The Renault 5 is

Very underestimated. People may laugh at them, until they come across a good one
Old 13 October 2006, 04:41 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
...........until they come across a good one

I have had some experience with them some "200 bhp" one's were Saxo VTR territory, some "stock" one's were E30 M3 territory.

I guess if you get a well tuned one that hasn't had 10 owners, 3 engines and no servicing they car be quick. They are just rare!
Old 13 October 2006, 04:58 PM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

Always wanted a R5 Turbo when I was younger but it always eluded me, insurance was a bit of a nightmare in those days. Still think they look great now. I imagine that it wouldn't have been a std motor that was behind you, they were very quick in there day, but by todays standards they would run out of puff pretty quick. However get one tuned to 200 BHP when the thing only weighs in around 800kgs.. now that would be a different proposition
Old 13 October 2006, 05:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are rattly pieces of tin, and unreliable at that....
They suffer from overheating problems, the engine is tunable but standard the 120bhp (115bhp for earlier cars) is good for 160bhp (this is as far as they took the R9 rally cars because thats as much as they wanted to push it for reliability).
Yes they weigh naff all but id rather have a car that can do a to b and then on to c rather than break down on the way to b
Good car in their time, but that was some time ago, and even the seriously tuned ones.... well is it actually worth throwing money at?
A gordini is rare as rocking horse and probably THE one to get if your an enthusiast, note that you dont modify these ones or the raider if you want to pee about

Tony
Old 13 October 2006, 06:08 PM
paulcupra r
Scooby Newbie

them were the days i had a r5 raider tuned to about 180 bhp very fast little thing would love to have it back now
Old 13 October 2006, 06:16 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Owned two from new for a total of about four years and both were totally reliable - maybe I just got lucky

Great cars and they handled better than a 205 GTi
Old 13 October 2006, 06:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Myth about them being unreliable. Back when they were new on the scene they were known for boy racers sticking bleed valves on and running the car at 15-20psi with no extra fueling, it doesnt take a genious to work out why the headgasket went but instead we'll blame the car for overheating Yes they had hot starting probs, probably because the carb was right ontop of the inlet and exhaust manifold and the petrol evaporated when the car was switched off. That was their only prob, Im still using mine that Ive had for 6 years and no probs on my daily commute
Old 13 October 2006, 06:42 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Mine is 16 years old now, doesn't really rattle, it never fails to start (even in the depths of winter), it runs great and the only thing thats broken in the last year is the plastic choke lever on a very cold winters morning!

It's a damn site more reliable than my brand new Clio Cup was!!!

Cracking cars, superb fun to drive, it's slow compared to my 200SX but has something about it that just makes me smile when I drive it.
Old 13 October 2006, 06:44 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Oh... and here's a pic for good measure...

Old 13 October 2006, 07:06 PM
Stu_M
Scooby Regular

Very nice mate, still love em
Old 13 October 2006, 08:57 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Yes they had hot starting probs, probably because the carb was right ontop of the inlet and exhaust manifold and the petrol evaporated when the car was switched off.
Later cars had a little fan to cool the carb but on the first versions this wasn't on a fused supply.
If the fan siezed or a fault developed on the wiring the engine bay usually set on fire.
Worth installing an inline fuse if you have one of these.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 October 2006, 09:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Renault 5 is

Very underestimated. People may laugh at them, until they come across a good one

Dave, it isnt underestimated, just a bit of a random old thing, fast but liable to expire, cost you thousands or kill you.

I remember going in one in 1990 and being scared sh1tless.
Old 13 October 2006, 11:07 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

ah the good ol' r5 turbo.we had one for 3 years.great fun car.blindingly quick for what it was.had a few probs with ours but hey thats part of owning a small engined turbo'd car.had a serious thirst for fuel when thrashed(worse than my scoob).did 1/2 a tank going to the video shop with a mate one night,it was only a 20 mile round trip at the most.good memories.i wonder what ever happened to it (G769 PGN)
Old 14 October 2006, 06:03 AM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich D
Oh... and here's a pic for good measure...

i had one exactly the same as this ...talk about eye catching!!
unfortunately i had only had it 1 week when someone tried to steal it, doing huge damage in the process ,i had to get rid then because i lost my no claims repairing it ,all in i had the pleasure of driving it for about 4 weeks .
It absolutely flew ,very fast ,as soon as the turbo came in in any gear you were off .
I vowed i'd have another one and i did a few years later but it was considerably older with a lot more miles and it wasnt half as quick and pretty unreliable too.
I would have another but it would have to be low miles and enthusiast owned with full history ,i wouldnt take a chance on a cheap one.
Old 14 October 2006, 08:44 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by treehack
i wonder what ever happened to it (G769 PGN)
The vehicle details for G769 PGN are:

Date of Liability 01 03 2010
Date of First Registration 08 03 1990
Year of Manufacture 1990
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1397CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE

It's off road with SORN declared, perhaps being rebuilt somewhere?
Old 14 October 2006, 12:27 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Later cars had a little fan to cool the carb
known as the "anti perc" fan and they can be a bitch to start in summer if it's not working or been removed, mine works though.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I used to lust after the dark blue ones ... Raider?

As Stu M above I always wanted one but couldn't afford it in the early years (late teens, late 80's!!), then when I could afford it (mid 20's in age) my gaze had fallen on something else ... some mad car called an Impreza Turbo!

TX.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Turbo 2 anyone?

Auto Trader UK - Used Car Search - Used Cars for sale online.

£25k!

Not used my postcode on search.

TX.
Old 14 October 2006, 02:11 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I used to lust after the dark blue ones ... Raider?
Yeah, that was the Raider, limited edition
Old 14 October 2006, 02:17 PM
s5ooob
Scooby Regular

Fantastic 80's "hot hatch"

Owned a phase1 for 6years
Yes it broke down a lot, but it made me SMILE more

For sentimental reasons I'd love another
Old 14 October 2006, 08:27 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Great cars, and if wanted can be made pretty quick for not a huge amount of cash. Unfortunatly there are a lot of dogs out there that have been owned, and a lot of the time ruined, by kids who just want a quick, cheap car. Nowaday's a lot more people are learning to tune these things properly and they're proving to be pretty much bomb proof when looked after. And even if they do go bang they're cheap to fix (full set of pistons/liners and rings can be had for well under £200 new). The current 1/4 mile record is 11.4 @ 122mph. That's using the standard 32dis carb and no nos.

Everyone that bangs on about them being unreliable, blowing head gaskets, overheating etc has either owned/their mates owned one that's been poorly treated, or they tend to listen to too much pub talk . Yep, the build quality isn't the best in the world, they can suffer from hot start problems, they can drink a lot of fuel, but the shear grin factor they give is well worth it. Cheap road tax to, lol. It's just a shame they're 20 odd years old now, as the dreaded tin worm is starting to creep in to a lot of them now.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...ofDSC01664.jpg

I've had that one for coming up to 7 years and it's been perfectly reliable. For most of that time it's been an every day car as well.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71...p/DSC03103.jpg

That's my Cup version. Had it for 2 years and again, it's been nice and reliable. The only thing it's broken was an i/c which blew apart and a rear wheel bearing which collapsed going into Paddock Hill bend at Brands!
Old 16 October 2006, 02:04 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Turbo 2 anyone?

Auto Trader UK - Used Car Search - Used Cars for sale online.

£25k!

Not used my postcode on search.

TX.
They used one of these in the "unofficial" Bond film Never Say Never Again!
Old 16 October 2006, 04:02 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
They used one of these in the "unofficial" Bond film Never Say Never Again!
If you want to be picky that was the earlier version, the R5 Turbo, not an R5 Turbo 2
Old 18 October 2006, 11:49 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

yes the reno 5 gtturbo raider which i owned was the most rewarding car ive ever owned shame about the reliability but hey iam good at repairing cars now
it was standard when i bought it and kept up with my pals 2lite 16v redtop nova till 60mph dont laugh too soon
then i spent a measley some of money on spark plugs a carb jet boost gauge and bleed valve and strapped and flowed the standard intercooler for nothing.

kept the standard suspension standard 13"wheels with crap uniroyals. ran it at 16psi then raced my m8 again sat on his back bumper till 120mph this time and was exactly the same acceleration as the first clio 172 not the cup!
as i used to race a nutter who drove it like he stole it i dont think he was impressed with my pea shooter exhaust and standard looking car lol
as he just went out and paid 16k for his!!!!

they also feel much faster to drive in the passenger seat.
there very fast to 90 mph.
and have to ghange into 4th gear at ahhm 60 mph then 5th at 90mph if i remember right.
didnt find the handling greeat but the brakes were awesome man!!
ahh the memories.lol

sold mine back in 2003 for £1700 now the raiders seem to fetch 2.5-3k shame. raiders the best no tell tale markings a real wolf in sheeps clothing and the best bit it doesnt attract the neds/chavs of today as they only know what scoobys evos saxos corsas puntos and bmw e36's are

if your good at fixing cars and dont need to rely on it for day to day transport get one otherwise have it as a second car.

oh yea done a 14 sec at crail so was quick for the money i bought it for.

just love the kick of the turbo and the oily smell haha!!
when i went to crail there were guys spending a couple of hundread on an hks airfilter for their scooby i never even spent that on all my mods.

and hey all turbo cars go bang some quicker than others scoobys rs turbos gtturbos cosies"the light which burns twice as bright lasts half as long"

how do you like they apples?
mine was G364 WPE wonder where it is?
i also remember they are solid wee cars no rust. and you never need to worry about the timing belt as it was timing chain ohv engine me likes that 1 less thing to worry about.

Last edited by delcbr; 18 October 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 18 October 2006, 11:59 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
Great cars and they handled better than a 205 GTi
Am FPMSL!
Old 19 October 2006, 02:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Am FPMSL!
Whats so funny? I honestly believe they do. All the ranting and raving people give the 205 for its handling a good GT Turbo on 15's will corner like a beatch and comfortably keep up and if not use its power to wipe the floor with the pug IMO.
Old 19 October 2006, 05:11 PM
chris n`nic
Scooby Regular

I agree about the reliability probs as I was one of the already metioned stupid boy racers. I didn't have the money or the knowledge to modify it correctly so I followed the usual exhaust, filter bleed and dump valve. Sounded great and was set up nicely to about 150bhp....then I got bored of it and tweaked it slightly...and then again a few months later. Was rapid but the inevitable head gasket explosion happen lol. The car had 215,000 miles on it when I got it...b4 it blew I could sit in traffic in 25+ degs and it didn't over heat...and the perc fan worked fine as I never had any starting probs (although the fan would stay on for aaaaaaggees after a blast out lol

Chris
Old 19 October 2006, 09:19 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

One R5 was tuned to 354 BHP! by Danny Fennell, another featured in Max Power was running allegedly in the excess of fifty PSI! Not to mention Carisma was built on tha back of the R5 turbo. In it's day the R5 verged on iconic.
Old 20 October 2006, 04:34 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Did want one of these... Just for the pocket rocket factor...

Quick Reply: Quick R5