330 Ci M Sport / 330 Cd M Sport or 330 Ci Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 05:34 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 Ci M Sport / 330 Cd M Sport or 330 Ci Clubsport

Just wondered what peoples experiences of the above are?

I was leaning toward the Clubsport but have read that its the same as the M Sport in performance terms?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Jay_bee; 12 October 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12 October 2006, 07:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Which model?

I had a 330Ci Sport - the model that has just finished. It was an excellent car and much quicker point to point that you might imagine.

The Clubsport is 20kgs lighter and a shade quicker and sharper. A lot of premium for the performance advantage though.

Rannoch
Old 12 October 2006, 07:15 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Get the diesel,chip it and feel the torque...............
Old 12 October 2006, 07:33 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

The clubsport is just a 330 m sport with a few added features, mainly; front bumper splitters, rear spoiler and different wheels. They also have 20kg of sound deadening removed. The engine, performance and handling is exactly the same as the normal m sport.
Old 12 October 2006, 08:24 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Which model?
Clubsport = 53 plate manual (although I've seen one with the SSG box),
Cd M Sport = 54 plate manual
Ci M Sport = is a 54 plate manual

Is that what you ment?

Basically, Im in the market for one but I havent quite made my mind up which one to go for.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 12 October 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12 October 2006, 11:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Personally I would not bother to pay the premium for the Clubsport.

330d or i is the choice.

Go for the manual and drive it!
Old 12 October 2006, 11:38 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would the 330d or i , do against a modded V7 sti , >> (mine) ??
Old 12 October 2006, 11:50 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

I've had a 330ci and it was brill, a 330D will spank a standard UK impreza (happened to me on the A19)
Old 13 October 2006, 07:33 AM
Vapid
BANNED

330ci is a great car but the saloon version is actually better to drive. The 330CD isn't as rewarding as the relatively high revving and super smooth 6 petrol either.
Depends if 30mpg is as acceptable as 40's mpg to you for the extra smoothness and ability to rev.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:02 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Not sure how you work that one out the coupe Sport was the most focused barring the M3
Old 13 October 2006, 09:04 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moonloops
I've had a 330ci and it was brill, a 330D will spank a standard UK impreza (happened to me on the A19)

Shouldn't do - certainly a UK Impreza is much quicker to 60.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:06 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cross-country - how many times do you have to do 0-60?

Chassis, brakes, torque and mid-range acceleration are much more telling. The Beemer has an excellent chassis, lots of grip, excellent handling and the d, especially chipped, has masses of torque.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:09 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Jeff, we have a 320CD M Sport now on a 53 plate, slower than the 330 but looks the same.

Reliability isn't great, we've had 2 turbos and a new engine from new, it cuts out for no reason every now and then, and the low prof tyres tramline like mad.

Other than that its a decent car though :P

Call over if you want to have a look, it will be the same as the 330 but just a bit slower, its quick enough for the mrs to get to work though, until its sold in Jan for a Scoob
Old 13 October 2006, 09:13 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by alanbell
How would the 330d or i , do against a modded V7 sti , >> (mine) ??
Alan, a chipped 330D will still have a lower torque figure than your STi7, but would make you have to work your car to leave it behind.

Last Sunday going down to the pod, we encouraged Pat to chase an Evo FQ320 iirc, from a round about, ie a standstill, it put 3 car lengths between us, and thats where it stayed. However, in gear the BMW would comfortably keep with it.

That was in Pat's chipped 530D

To also give you a clue Alan, the 330Cd is one of a few cars i am considering to replace the MG with in the next few months.

Steven
Old 13 October 2006, 09:16 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Cross-country - how many times do you have to do 0-60?

Chassis, brakes, torque and mid-range acceleration are much more telling. The Beemer has an excellent chassis, lots of grip, excellent handling and the d, especially chipped, has masses of torque.
I'll take the pespsi Challenge with a 330D cross country in a Scoob any day of the week.

Course it's not all about performance - The Beemer will be a much more pleasant place to sit.

Personally I would raise a bit more cash and go for an M3 - maybe a convertible - Stunning cars.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:18 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Shouldn't do - certainly a UK Impreza is much quicker to 60.
A 330D WILL spank a Uk Impreza at in gear acceleration, ie real world driving. You know, sat there on the motorway at 50mph waiting for the car in front to move out of the way, the 330D will pull some car lengths between the impreza sat behind him waiting for the same to happen.

Christ, i can make standard imprezas have to change down a gear to pull away from me in my MG ZR diesel.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:20 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P20SPD
A 330D WILL spank a Uk Impreza at in gear acceleration, ie real world driving. You know, sat there on the motorway at 50mph waiting for the car in front to move out of the way, the 330D will pull some car lengths between the impreza sat behind him waiting for the same to happen.

Christ, i can make standard imprezas have to change down a gear to pull away from me in my MG ZR diesel.
Of course - but it depends entirely on where you drive. Motorway driving of course, the midrange of the BMW is going to tell. Much much better motorway car.

Different situations - different results.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:47 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Not sure how you work that one out the coupe Sport was the most focused barring the M3
The saloon is more rigid and in 'sport' trim drove better than my 330 coupe. Comparing MY2003 cars owned by myself and a friend.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:49 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Personally I would raise a bit more cash and go for an M3 - maybe a convertible - Stunning cars.
M3 is the only thing tempting me away from the 330D atm.

Major thing swinging me away from the 330D though, is the difficulty finding a manual. Then finding one in the right bracket.

Steven
Old 13 October 2006, 09:54 AM
Torpid
BANNED

M3 is the only thing tempting me away from the 330D atm.

Major thing swinging me away from the 330D though, is the difficulty finding a manual. Then finding one in the right bracket.

Steven
Have you driven both petrol and diesel variants? Unless you do ultra high mileage the amount of money you'll save on the purchase price of a petrol car will buy an awful lot of fuel. The petrol coupes seem to be low mileage and high spec V the diesels high miles and generally lower spec.

The diesel is fine but not as good as the petrol in terms of refinement and fun factor.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:56 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I have been a passenger in both, but trying to get a test drive round here is proving extremely difficult. Having asked for test drives in 330i 330d and M3, i seem to get laughed at.

I do between 26000 and 30000 a year. Its going to be difficult to decide.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:58 AM
Torpid
BANNED

I have been a passenger in both, but trying to get a test drive round here is proving extremely difficult. Having asked for test drives in 330i 330d and M3, i seem to get laughed at.

Doing that kind of mileage I'd take the diesel particularly if they are motorway miles. Good to avoid the auto, not only are they not much fun they are as bad as a petrol manual on economy.

Have you considered one of the older diesels and a tuning box/remap taking you upto 200+bhp?

Find it hard to believe a BMW dealer wont let you test drive a used model, they practically jump me in the rush to offer test drives.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:01 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

That puts a different spin on things. I would steer away from the M3 with that sort of mileage - simply due to service costs.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:23 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Im off to drive the 330Cd M Sport & the Clubsport tomorrow.

Heres the three Im looking at:

Ci M Sport:

2004 BMW 3 SERIES 330 Ci Sport 2dr Coupe
Price:
£20,250
Features: 8,900 miles BLACK Petrol 2 Door Coupe Full Description: Glossary of Terms
8,900 miles, Petrol. Sapphire Black. Black Leather. Electric Memory Sports Seats. 18" M-Sport Double Spoke Alloys. M-Sport Body Styling and Boot Spoiler. Electric Folding Mirrors. Sports Multi Function Steering Wheel. Cruise Control. Climate Control. Front & Side Airbags. DSC. Traction Control. ABS. PDC. Headlamp Wash. Alarm. Radio/CD. 3rd Rear Seat Belt & Headrest. Front Centre Arm Rest. Gradual Tint Windscreen. Over Carpets. Totaly Immaculate.

Clubsport:

53 Reg Manual 5 speed, 21,000 miles, Metallic estoril blue. with black leather,carbon dash,full clubsport body kit including front bumper and rear spoiler 18"clubsport alloys,cruise control,climate,electric memory seats on drivers seat,zenons,rear PDC,1 owner,full BMW service history £19,995.

Cd M Sport:

330Cd M Sport Coupe
Price:£22,495
Mileage:21,941
Transmission:Manual
Fuel: Diesel
Exterior colour:Titanium Silver
Interior:Grey Leather
Date of registration:September 2004
Bluetooth Telephone Preparation
Front Centre Arm Rest
Front Seat Heating
Leather interior

No Pics of it online yet.

Jeff

Edited to say: Just read on Evo's website that the Clubsport doesnt handle as well as the M Sport... it understeers?!!

Last edited by Jay_bee; 13 October 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:45 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by Torpid
Doing that kind of mileage I'd take the diesel particularly if they are motorway miles. Good to avoid the auto, not only are they not much fun they are as bad as a petrol manual on economy.

Have you considered one of the older diesels and a tuning box/remap taking you upto 200+bhp?

Find it hard to believe a BMW dealer wont let you test drive a used model, they practically jump me in the rush to offer test drives.
It will get chipped for sure, having been in Pat's 530d i was seriously impressed. I also believe Guinness has one with way over 400lbft.

The wife and I were basically given the cold shoulder at the York BMW garage. Need to try the Leeds one when i get a moment.

Interesting point re services costs of the M3. Will keep that in mind.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:49 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
Heres the three Im looking at
I think you'd be nuts spending that sort of money on the old 3 series. They'd be worth nothing before long. I'd suggest a cheaper e46 or spending a bit more an an e90.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:53 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Hi Steven,

Snap!!!

Although my local BMW dealer has been very forthcoming in letting me have a test drive. I popped in last week to see if they had any 02 or 03 M3's in (which they didnt) so the guy took me to see an M3 convertible but that was £44k to which I told him I didnt want to spend that much this year (maybe next when the new model is out) so he proceeded to take me out in their new 335i coupe which was very very nice but then he told me its like £42k...

Anyway, Im off there tomorrow to see this Cd

Jeff

Last edited by Jay_bee; 13 October 2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:57 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I think you'd be nuts spending that sort of money on the old 3 series. They'd be worth nothing before long. I'd suggest a cheaper e46 or spending a bit more an an e90.
For a start, there is only a limited choice on engines at the moment (for the coupe) and there is no M Sport option (and wont be for nearly 8 months according to the dealer). The prices have already taken a knock hence why you can pick up a 54 plate Cd M sport with 20,000 miles for just over £20k.

I will only be keeping the car for a max 12 months, by which time the new M3 will be out and there should be the odd demo for sale.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 13 October 2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 13 October 2006, 11:07 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Steven,

have you tried Malton BMW - they are really good. I never go to BMW in York as they are pants and arrogant with it! We test drove a 330d Touring there with 30k miles on it - it was a complete dog that had definately been clocked. When I challenged them on this they certainly did not deny that it was possible and admitted it was a little 'baggy'. So why the hell did they try and get me to buy it!

We did get the 530 from them but always take it to Malton for servicing - it may be a little further but FAR better service.

If you buy at the dealer you will be paying top dollar.

Rannoch
Old 13 October 2006, 11:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I'll take the pespsi Challenge with a 330D cross country in a Scoob any day of the week.

Course it's not all about performance - The Beemer will be a much more pleasant place to sit.

On Top Gear in the old days they had the BMW 330i and 330d around the test track in a race. It was pretty much a dead heat.

On the road I was out on my 330CI and hooked up with a cross country Scoob meet. They tried to get away - and failed.

And it was twisty...

...and it was raining!

So the Scoobs were apparently on home ground there.

From my perspective a standard 330d will give a standard UK Impreza a hard time across country. It may not spank it but it will be close.

In terms of an M3 don't waste your money. I have never been impressed with them. Nice for posing on the road but not when the going gets tough. Spent the day in and out of one with Don Palmer - it was OK but slow. Understeered a lot with the traction control on and certainly not worth the premium over the 330C.

On track even with my old STi V the M3s were pretty slow by comparison - simply too heavy as a sharp end perfomance car.

Rannoch

Quick Reply: 330 Ci M Sport / 330 Cd M Sport or 330 Ci Clubsport