Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Regaining the thrill of driving

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 09:54 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regaining the thrill of driving

Spent my first weekend in the M5, and can't stop grinning.

After too many years of turbo's and 4wd (scooby and RS6) I had forgotten the joy of having your right foot inexorably connected to the rear wheels, lag free.

I'd also forgotten the sheer enjoyment of being 'involved' with driving.

Yes, the RS6 is a fast and capable car, but you simply cannot beat the all-encompassing feeling of piloting a fast, manual, N/A, rwd car. End of story.

This weekend I rediscovered the sensory thrill of heel-and-toe braking, having to feeeeed the throttle in to balance the exit rather than being able to just stamp on the loud pedal in any conditions or any road type, and discovered that a 1700+kg car *can* have a good ride, wonderful damping control and yet manage to attack a bumpy, narrow b-road like a car half the size and weight.

Yes, it's a BMW. But by god it's brilliant.

My end thought is....I wonder what it would be like having the engine in the back....
Old 09 October 2006, 10:07 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase

My end thought is....I wonder what it would be like having ANOTHER engine in the back....
Now that would be a car!!!
Seriously tho. glad to hear a good news post.
Old 09 October 2006, 10:21 AM
Vapid
BANNED

Discovered a similar thing myself when driving my friend's project Minor over the weekend. Probably at much lower speeds than in your M5 though.

I predict what you are going to miss about the RS6 is useability in marginal conditions. Worth it though.
Old 09 October 2006, 11:08 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It is very rare to find a modern cars that actually have some feedback through the controls and makes you feel like you are actually doing something (as a driver), that is also very fast with exceptionally capeable handling whilst not chipping your teeth on every pothole. Plus the instant throttle response of a powerful, torquey non-turbo engine.

The e39 and older M5s is one of these few cars.
Old 09 October 2006, 12:42 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase

After too many years of turbo's and 4wd (scooby and RS6) I had forgotten the joy of having your right foot inexorably connected to the rear wheels, lag free.

I'd also forgotten the sheer enjoyment of being 'involved' with driving.

Yes, the RS6 is a fast and capable car, but you simply cannot beat the all-encompassing feeling of piloting a fast, manual, N/A, rwd car. End of story.

This weekend I rediscovered the sensory thrill of heel-and-toe braking, having to feeeeed the throttle in to balance the exit rather than being able to just stamp on the loud pedal in any conditions or any road type, and discovered that a 1700+kg car *can* have a good ride, wonderful damping control and yet manage to attack a bumpy, narrow b-road like a car half the size and weight.

Yes, it's a BMW. But by god it's brilliant.

My end thought is....I wonder what it would be like having the engine in the back....
I know exactly what you mean, went through the same when i picked my M5 up! I've now moved into an elise do i can have the same thrills (but better ) apart from the power, for a fraction of the running costs!
Old 09 October 2006, 01:12 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I had an e34 M5 and loved the driving experience and the comfort, beleive they were hand made too.
Whilst the WRX i had was enjoyable, the 4 wheel drive took some of the fun out of it so i understand what you are experiencing.
The 911 i have at present is keeping me amused with a driving experience that suits me.
A mate of mine had an e39 and they only bad comment he had was the cost he had to pay to change the clutch.
Hope you enjoy the M5 but like most of us petrol heads, you will be changing for something different again in the not to distant future.
Old 09 October 2006, 05:35 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vapid
I predict what you are going to miss about the RS6 is useability in marginal conditions. Worth it though.
I think that's bang on. I spent the weekend on sport mode, with dsc off, but with it on you'd have to do something silly to lose it, it's very nannying. Would have been nice to have a middle ground setting between 'zero slip' and '***** of steel'
Old 09 October 2006, 05:36 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
I know exactly what you mean, went through the same when i picked my M5 up! I've now moved into an elise do i can have the same thrills (but better ) apart from the power, for a fraction of the running costs!
Yet to try an Elise, but may be on the list for a trackday / weekend tool come spring