Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Any Vauxhall mechanics out there?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2006, 01:08 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Vauxhall mechanics out there?

Or indeed anyone that may be able to shed any light on this problem ?

I have a 2001 2.2 DTi Frontera. It is throwing up a engine management fault detailing 2 seperate problems.
Crank Speed Sensor and Boost Solinoid.(sp)
From cold it is VERY sluggish (not that the tires light up when warm) the turbo isn't spooling up and the light seems to come on at circ. 3k revs (normally in 5th) If left to warm up for a while the problem doesn't seem to occur but there is no hard and fast pattern to this.
I was speaking to someone yesterday who said they had a very similar problem with a Merc Sprinter and the turbo was fooked and was mainly due to it being a vairied vein turbo (? or somethign to that effect)
I have replaced the crank sensor and this made no difference and I dont want to spend another £60 or so on the solinoid to find out it has been the turbo all along.
Any thoughts ? I feel a trade-in comming on!

Any pointers (other than "get rid of it!") would be appreciated.

Paul.
Old 16 September 2006, 01:20 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Bit late but.....
Did you read the fault codes yourself?
99% of vauxhall ECU`s will come up with a faulty crank sensor if the engine isnt running when the test is done.

Cant help with the boost problem though, sorry.
Old 16 September 2006, 01:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

it was done by a mobile tuner. I can't remeber if it was running or not.
Cheers for that info. I am all for process of elimination bit not if it hits my wallet time and time again.
Old 16 September 2006, 01:58 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

For more info on fault codes, go to www.topbuzz.co.uk, on the sidebar on the left click "Information" then go to technical guides.
Old 16 September 2006, 02:36 PM
Scooby555Chris
Scooby Regular

if the crank sensor was fooked it would cut out int or not run at all..

nmind.

this the flat top ecotec with the three torx screws holding the small engine plastic cover on ye? simular to the 2.0 td version...

check all vacum connections at the solenoids and the small plastic tubing as it chafes through due to vibration and the rubber connections on the end are prone to spliting.

mass air sensors on the 2.0t'ds were very common...which cause a lack of power..

tbh the codes critical system one or two norm come up for mass air and pipework tho...

you could do with seeing what the boost pressure was reading in relation to its desired boost.

you may be better off if nothing is obvious nipping it into the dealer so it can go on tech 2 (not cheap tho..norm 60 squids for this alone)

check all pipework first including under the cover etc...examine well.
Old 16 September 2006, 03:01 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

if the crank sensor was fooked it would cut out int or not run at all..
Yup, it did that at one point. It was drawing in air trough one of the pipes you mention

this the flat top ecotec with the three torx screws holding the small engine plastic cover on ye? simular to the 2.0 td version...
Aye

check all vacum connections at the solenoids and the small plastic tubing as it chafes through due to vibration and the rubber connections on the end are prone to spliting.
I will give them a check

mass air sensors on the 2.0t'ds were very common...which cause a lack of power..

tbh the codes critical system one or two norm come up for mass air and pipework tho...

you could do with seeing what the boost pressure was reading in relation to its desired boost.

you may be better off if nothing is obvious nipping it into the dealer so it can go on tech 2 (not cheap tho..norm 60 squids for this alone)
My Uncle has a trade account with the local Vauxhall dealer and has put several cars to them in the past for diagnostics and they have been crap each and every time. The mobile guy I used seems to get it right most times but missed the pipework the last time

check all pipework first including under the cover etc...examine well.

Thanks for the input Chris.
Old 16 September 2006, 03:09 PM
Scooby555Chris
Scooby Regular

no worries mate...crank sensor is norm just electronic sensor on front of block...but if she was cutting out int etc sounds like u sorted one int prob.
not sure how u mean with the drawing air...this could be your power probs if you mean elsewhere..

if its any help never done many turbos on fronteras or the 2.0td...norm quite bullit proof...its the air systems and solenoids that can go..or the bloody egr valve on the later engines...

whoever invented egrs shoudla been shot....garbage!

see how u get on with the pipework..

chris
Old 16 September 2006, 04:53 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

It was drawing in air from a split pipe somewhere along the line so wouldnt start. The crank sensor was changed initally as this was thought to have been the cause....it wasn't.
Ill check the pipes and then if push comes to shove I'll have to shell out for a boost solenoid. Will cost me the same as a diognostic check but don't want to do another just to be told the same....then I'll trade the ****** in

Cheers again

Paul.
Old 16 September 2006, 10:58 PM
Scooby555Chris
Scooby Regular

if your trading it in i'd just try trading it as is...sales blokes aint really bothered and they account for recon costs and put warranties on anything they resell anyway. norm they just bob round the block to make sure its not totally knackered..if they actually bother to do that.

laters mate. bets of luck for your new motor.....try an alternative badge on the bonnet...he he
Old 17 September 2006, 09:20 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby555Chris
best of luck for your new motor.....try an alternative badge on the bonnet...he he
That's top on the list of criteria!
Old 17 September 2006, 09:26 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

i know the 2.0 DTI engines have a common problem with boost soleniods, dunno about the 2.2s though, my mechanic mate had similar problem with his 2.0 DTI vectra - no turbo spool, very sluggish to start etc, All he did was bypass the soleniod altogether. His has been running fine like this for over a year now & hes not the most sympathetic driver LOL,
It might be worth a shot, even to eliminate the soleniod.

Daz