Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY06 Audi A6 2.0 TDI manual

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2006, 02:55 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MY06 Audi A6 2.0 TDI manual

I have had one as a loan car for the last 3 days. I normally drive a MY03 2.5 TDI CVT.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...y2006002-3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...y2006009-3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...y2006010-2.jpg

First impressions.

My neighbour has a MY05 Audi 2.0 TDI saloon - so I see them often enough and I don't think much TBH. I like the front, I think it is really aggressive, and in the saloon guise that I borrowed and my neighbour has, the profile is long and sleek and looks in proportion. The estate version looks odd though.

S-line.

I did notice, different to the neighbours, the 18" alloys, low slung body and a deep front bumper [could be the same across the range though?]

Open the door, and you are met with the most perfectly sculpted half leather recaro seats. They still use the oppressive black headlining, but all the dash lights up in white and red. Looks really good.

So the service advisor took me through the basics of the car, and the gist is most things are controlled via a TV mounted in the dash. Similar to BMW's I- drive there is a turny **** which you press and twiggle to do different things. There are buttons around the know for different options, then a button for 'car', 'sat nav', 'cd', 'radio' etc etc and one for the hand brake.

The over engineered electronics went on with the heating arrangement. You had to press a few buttons in a certain sequence to reduce the automated fan speed.

Overall it was very distracting - I think the idea is you programme your car before the journey - but I prefer the flexibility

Opperation

The key is mounted the other side to most cars with the standard flick knife style key. There is alot of faffing before the car will fire up though. First you need to fully depress the clutch before it will start. Then to release the handbrake you either drive off and it is automatic or you need to put your foot on the brake and use the handbrake button. This is a MAJOR pain in the ***. The 2.0 tdi is very quiet with no vibration through the cabin - but a light clutch and super sensitive -0- feel throttle meant I stalled the ****** before I got anywhere. So, in such an embarrassing situation, you want to take off as quick as you can.

But nnnnnnoooooooooooooooo. You turn the key to start the Audi and nothing happens. Apply the foot brake, nothing happens, apply the clutch nothing. So turn the key off, and turn it on again - nothing. Then it peeps at you and tells you to dip the clutch. Once dipped turn the key and it starts.

I wanted to disappear there and then deep into the ground! That wasn't the last time that happened, it was every other attempt!

Driving

I managed to set off eventually and the first thing that became apparent was it's surge of torque, immediately reminding me of my old Fabia vrs. The extra weight of the A6 meant it wasn't as see saw like as the fabia, and the longer gears also helped. But annoyingly below 1500rpm you can get out and jog quicker - once in the 'zone' you have about 1500rpm again before you have to change gear. They do rev, and pull quite well to 4k rpm, but it feels more like a 1700kg 140hp salon when revved, but the bottom end torque is similar to a 2.6 V6 version I suppose. One thing I will say though, with a/c on and up to 5 people in the car for 50% of the time I did 200 miles on £19.50.

The steering is very vague and far too light. Inner city work is fine, but pressing on, on a A road was a little unnerving. The handling was fantastic, and unlike most diesel vag's, it felt balanced and it didn't crash along over dips and crests. Inner city was also comfortable thanks to the longer wheel base I guess.

Brakes were average, I think they are well over 300mm and 4 pots but felt good enough, but not confidence inspiring.

Overall

Pro's
A very good car for the money. <£30k. It was understated, looked purposeful, had a good standard spec, nice seats, nice dials and dash layout etc. General feel good factor, looks like a more expensive car than it is, and is frugal with the 2.0 TDI manual.

Con's a
Ridiculous computer led things [heating, radio, nav], silly handbrake, detached steering, oppressive roof lining, interesting driving technique required.

It is leagues ahead of our current A6 - but strangely I felt relived when I got back in my own car. For the same money I think I would try out the BMW 520d Sport Manual - obviously you would loose out on a few interior extra's, but at least you have RWD and 1/2 a chance of decent steering and good residuals.
Old 26 August 2006, 12:29 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Excuse me mister, but audi's have better residuals than BMW's
Old 26 August 2006, 07:30 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy M3
But annoyingly below 1500rpm you can get out and jog quicker - once in the 'zone' you have about 1500rpm again before you have to change gear. They do rev, and pull quite well to 4k rpm, but it feels more like a 1700kg 140hp saloon when revved
That sounds more like a rather **** car than a 'very good car' to be honest.
Old 26 August 2006, 07:47 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Excuse me mister, but audi's have better residuals than BMW's
yeah right
Old 26 August 2006, 11:05 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

thats the A6 i thought u got the first time Andy!!!!

3.0TDi S line is the one i'm saving up for
Old 26 August 2006, 12:52 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
yeah right
are you ****in stupid? Audis have the best residuals of the 3 german premiums, just go take your *** to autotrader before I show you up with some articles.

BMW has the worst residuals of the 3 premium brands whether you like it or not
Old 26 August 2006, 01:24 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Huh. I picked up my A6 a coupla months ago. All the equivalent year BMWs and Merc were much more expensive.
Old 26 August 2006, 01:33 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

they also cost more to buy in the first place.
Old 26 August 2006, 04:39 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
are you ****in stupid? Audis have the best residuals of the 3 german premiums, just go take your *** to autotrader before I show you up with some articles.

BMW has the worst residuals of the 3 premium brands whether you like it or not
Old 26 August 2006, 05:25 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular