Celica GT-Four

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2006, 02:10 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Celica GT-Four

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any experience with the Celica GT-Four?

I used to own a Toyota MR2 Turbo, K reg Revision 3 front and 250BHP (after a couple of mods). This was the best car I ever owned, Really regret selling it. I know it has the same engine as the Rev 3 MR2 Turbo. I'm looking around now for some ideas for a new motor, just wondered if you had any opinions or experience of the GT-Four, performance wise, reliability and general every day use?

Thanks,
Slyme
Old 09 July 2006, 03:44 PM
www.GT4oc.com
Scooby Regular

ST205 is a great car, very under rated and not too common.
Have been hit with the stupidly low prices lately with decent standard examples going for about 4.5k.
No real weaknesses except the figure of 8s on the front suspension which need changing after about 60,000 miles.
Easy to get to about 300bhp and some examples around running 400+bhp but thats expensive to get too.
Easy to drive every day and a good relaible car.

Check out a buyers guide on www.st205.net
Old 09 July 2006, 08:41 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I quite like these, I did some reading into them a while back. Don't think you'll have any real problems with them, but I reckon you'd have more fun with a scoob for the money.
Old 09 July 2006, 08:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Apparently built very well
Old 09 July 2006, 11:59 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by www.GT4oc.com
ST205 is a great car, very under rated and not too common.
Have been hit with the stupidly low prices lately with decent standard examples going for about 4.5k.
No real weaknesses except the figure of 8s on the front suspension which need changing after about 60,000 miles.
Easy to get to about 300bhp and some examples around running 400+bhp but thats expensive to get too.
Easy to drive every day and a good relaible car.

Check out a buyers guide on www.st205.net
Good summary - I used to own a GT-Four (ST205) before I bought the Scoob. Good reliable car and easy to get 280-290bhp with minimal mods (decent exhaust, boost controller etc.) although the turbo is on the limit at that point. The superstrut suspension lower arms and fig 8s tend to wear about 60K miles and are not cheap to replace - budget for around £800 parts and labour if you shop around

Handles quite well on standard shocks and springs, but not as precise or grippy as the Scoob (IMHO). Standard shocks tend to wear quickly, but beware buying one with after cheap aftermarket suspension mods - most screw up the ride quality apart from very expensive kits like Tein - budget around £1500.

Not too much else is prone to failure, but remember that even the newest 205s are getting on for 10 years old now, so need regular servicing and parts replacement. That was a bugbear for me - Mr T bends you over and shafts you royally for even the most basic parts.

Edited to answer your question on performance. 205 weighs 1380kgs and runs 240bhp (UK) and 255 (JDM - but prob just down tohigher octane fuel). My 280bhp GT-Four felt slightly quicker than my current MY03 STI, especially at the top end, but that's because my Scoob is standard (not for long as it will running about 370bhp by end August)

Last edited by lunar tick; 10 July 2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: addtion of information
Old 09 July 2006, 11:59 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

This is my dilemma, I've driven a few scoobs and absolutely love them. But the ones I have seen have been poorly maintained or not to the standard I'd like. I think the GT-four is a gorgeous looking car, and appear to be looked after a little better in general.

How does the performance compare to the scoob? I know it's quite a bit heavier.

Thing with scoobs is the image, which is great, people know what it is and you get the respect and the flat four sound. GT-four is less common and so only people who like and know their cars will know what it is.
Old 10 July 2006, 09:48 AM
www.GT4oc.com
Scooby Regular

The stealth factor is one of the main points of the GT-Four.. people don't know what they are and still don't have a clue when you leave them for dead!
Plenty of good ST205's for sale on the GT4 owners club at the moment, from Standard ones @ £4,500+ to a mental fully forged 430bhp+ one that has things like a Garrett GT2871R turbo, MoTeC ecu, launch control, anti lag etc etc.. had 20k spent on it for a mere £8,000