Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Fabia VRS or Seat Leon 2.0TDI (140)

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 09:07 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabia VRS or Seat Leon 2.0TDI (140)

I'm looking at both of these as cheapish alternatives to the Forester.

For £14k I can have a pretty much loaded Fabia (leather etc) or for £16k a Leon Reference Sport with BTCC body kit and 18" wheels thrown in for good measure.

Anyone got long term experience of either car?

Gavin

Last edited by gavnnik; 08 July 2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07 July 2006, 09:36 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

A few months ago I was looking at either the Fabia VRS or Leon TDI Sport.

Went for the Leon sport in the end as it was better equipped larger and handled alot better, not that I bought it for that reason. I didn't like the finish of the Fabia's interior either. On the test drive the Leon made me feel more secure too.

I've had mine now for coming up to two months and the only issue I've had is an intermident passenger seatbelt senser that wants my mobile to buckle up when resting on the seat????

All good otherwise.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:51 PM
GraemeN
Scooby Regular

I loved my old Fabia vRS. It isn't a perfect handling car, but with the money saved over the Leon, you can easily sort the handling. The big question though is if you can make do with the size as the Fabia is quite a bit smaller than the Leon.
Old 08 July 2006, 09:15 AM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

The other option is the Seat Leon FR TDI which I think is actually a milar price to the reference sport.

Gavin
Old 08 July 2006, 09:13 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The FR Leon is the 170hp engine, and is £17495. The Ref Sport comes with a rather expensive bodykit, similar to how the Cupra should look. The complete kit, exhaust and wheels are well over £2k fitted seperately. The FR isn't available yet unfortunately but the deal on the Ref Sport is tempting.

I drive a Fabia vRS and my friend owns a Seat dealers, so have driven both extensively. Its your money at the end of the day, the Leon does drive well, better than the Fabia, what it will ride like on 18's is what concerns me. The Fabia has always been set up a little softer than any Seat, that's why I choose it, I'd had enough of back breaking ride's for little or no trade off in the corners. The vRs will hang on like a game un in the corners, it just needs a bit of practice and trust.

Of the two I'd save the money and buy the vRS, but I'd wouldn't argue against you buying the Leon either, it looks the dogs danglies with the kit and wheels on.
Old 08 July 2006, 11:59 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

I can get a Leon FR for £16,134 though - it's due to be available in August I beleive.

Reference Sport with body kit/18" is £15,995 and they are going through the factory at present. Due the end of August/Early September but only available in Silver or Red.

I'm leaning towards the FR I think but it's a close call.

I guess in reality the FR will hold it's value better in the long term as the other is purely cosmetic.

Gavin

The
Old 10 July 2006, 01:23 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

hi

we got our Fabia VRS on wednesday, i get 6 month leases through work and we have been getting Polo's up to now (VW sort) and we unimpressed with power and handling so got the Fabia, so far i'm very happy, espsically as i didnt know it would have the 6 speed box, its not quick by scooby terms but it has usable grunt and i'm happy

only some niggles, it is alot cheaper looking inside, it has no vanity mirrors in the drivers sun visor (complaint from the Mrs) the 12v socket is by the hand brake and makes the wire for the sat nav a menace, a bit of trim by the passenger door handle fell off yesterday, but i will take it to the dealer

so far though i am inpressed and it is bigger than you think, mine has only now done 101 miles but is returning 47mpg with no change to my driving style, i like the chrome tail pipe and green calipers, the wing on the back is good, only worry is silver seats may mark but the feel durable and easy to clean, so i'm happy

i did also have the leon as a hire car for 10 days, it was fater than the VRS but i nearly died twice exiting tool booths as the rear pillar is huge and the front pillar is very intrusive, so that reason i didnt get one on lease!!

my choice was save cash, get nearly as good performance and suffer the odd joke, but i dod grin when i boot it and black smoke coveres the guy you have just beaten!
Old 10 July 2006, 04:21 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The Leon with it's body kit looks awesome, so much better than the standard one.
Old 10 July 2006, 05:44 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

I'm working on a Leon FR with bodykit .

Best price so far £19235.

Gavin