Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

EVO V111 340

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 09:34 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO V111 340

Anybody got or had one of these, thinking about buying one, saw my03 one with 7000 miles on it, garaged, one owner, 16k. This seems a good price but is it? might it be an import etc? What is tuning capability on it?
Old 26 May 2006, 09:35 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

is it the MR version?
Old 26 May 2006, 09:39 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

No but there is an MR version also for sale? (Tidgy are you on astri-sri forum as well?)
Old 26 May 2006, 09:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

lol, yes mate.

MR is the one to go for so i've been told, got uprated internals and other upgrades over the norm one
Old 26 May 2006, 09:44 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Thing is though the MR has 40k on the clock as opposed to 7, so maybe the non MR been hooned less?
Old 26 May 2006, 09:45 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

whats the price difference chins?
Old 26 May 2006, 09:48 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Only a few hundred quid, (its teach though not chins)
Old 26 May 2006, 09:52 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

ahhh lmao, theres a few on here and not sure what people's user names are sorry dude

how much are they asking?
Old 26 May 2006, 10:01 AM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

About 16k for both, but this seems really cheap don't you think?
Old 26 May 2006, 10:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

possibly bit cheap, i know a mr340 for sale for 24k but not sure on the milage and it is in mint condition, so not sure
Old 26 May 2006, 10:11 AM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
About 16k for both, but this seems really cheap don't you think?
Thought you were loaded? Why are you messing around with rubbish like that?
Old 26 May 2006, 11:39 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Engines just the same mate whichever model you go for (260 excepted!) All are imports as well (mitsi uk import Viii's and call them MR's) they do have bilstien susp though, and an alloy roof. Ins isn't any difference for imports or uk cars! I've found anyway. Mitsi (unlike subaru) will service your import just as normal so no probs there.
dave
Old 26 May 2006, 11:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Engines just the same mate whichever model you go for (260 excepted!) All are imports as well (mitsi uk import Viii's and call them MR's) they do have bilstien susp though, and an alloy roof. Ins isn't any difference for imports or uk cars! I've found anyway. Mitsi (unlike subaru) will service your import just as normal so no probs there.
dave
o right cheers misty, some usefull info for him
Old 26 May 2006, 12:05 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Engines are not them same. The base is the same but the MR has many revisions over the standard VIII including head gasket, turbo etc...plus bodywork like the roof is aluminium.

also, the 340 only comes with an MR or a IX. the VIII was available in GSR, FQ300 and FQ330 guises.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:09 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has just sold his yesterday for £24k. He'd had it from new last July and had covered 10k miles. It was an MR version finished in red with black wheels and carbon rear spoiler (which I believe is standard on the 340).
He let me drive it just before it was sold. The first thing I noticed was the steering was very quick and precise.

Lovely car. Shame he had to sell it but he needed the money for a new business venture.

Nick
Old 26 May 2006, 12:35 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

The VXR like both of my scoobs was always a second car i still have a 5 series touring (i know its a bmw but i dont drive it like a ****, its normally got dogs in it) So despite having the money to spend i do not like throwing it at turds. Plus new house and wedding is going to take up quite a bit of cash, then probably kids soon. So I am just after something fast that i can mess around with, and mod if possible. I have had 2 scoobs and i thought i would try the evo, used to have a evo 5 track day car with my bro, but not on the roads, so useless comparison there.

So Kyl3cook do you recon the advert was blag, cos it said evo 8 340 but no mention of MR or do you think it he just missed it out, and from some of the prices given on here i think this might be a lemon or been crashed.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:43 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

See here.

Exterior
Evolution VIII MR sees no changes in body design over its predecessor but is distinguished by new colouring and exclusive styling trim that accentuate its aggressive ultra-performance machine looks.

Matt-black headlamp and rear combination lamp extensions tighten up the facial features front and rear. Turquoise-blue lenses in the projector low-beam lights located outboard in the headlamp units also give accent to the car's aggressive lines.

The outboard faces of the rear-deck spoiler plates use a dark grey finish close to the colour of the carbon wing, replacing the body colour-keyed treatment on Evolution VIII.

The "Lancer" emblem at the bottom left and the "Evolution" part of "Evolution MR" at the bottom right of the trunk lid use a dark grey finish, while the "MR" letters are finished in red.

The brilliant mirror finish to the muffler tail pipe adds a touch of quality and a highlight to the rear. [All models except the RS 5M/T]

Tremendously strong fin-design BBS forged alloy road wheels [factory-fitted option] each weigh 1.25 kg less than the standard wheels. The wheels are finished in a dark grey finish that is coordinated to the overall colour scheme.

The vortex generator, an innovation in aerodynamics technology and offered as a dealer-fitted accessory, creates small vortices at the trailing end of the roof that reduce drag and increase the downforce generated by the rear-deck spoiler. The generator vanes are finished in the same dark grey as the outer panels of the spoiler.

Evolution VIII MR is offered in four body colours that blend tastefully with the exterior styling trim and accessories: Medium-purplish Gray Mica [new]; Cool Silver Metallic and Solid Red, which take the MMC corporate colours for their motif; and White Solid, the traditional colour for competition models. [RS is available in White Solid only.]

Interior
Interior trim is coordinated in dark tones to present a sporty interior that projects the same aggressive and ultra-performance image as the exterior.

Retaining the off-black monotone keynote colour of its predecessor, Evolution VIII MR uses carbon-finish dash ornamentation and a no-frills black center panel to accent the mechanical, function-oriented nature of the cockpit.

The Momo steering wheel has matt-black spokes and a dark titanium-finish center ring that are coordinated with the dashboard colour.

The Recaro front seats are upholstered in an elegant black monotone suede-look non-slip material. The shoulder support uses a knit fabric with a distinctive high-grip dimple finish that provides better location.

The trim uses the same suede-look fabric as the seats to produce a well-coordinated interior.

The floor-console is embellished with a classy stainless steel plate embossed with the "Lancer Evolution MR" emblem. As with the trunk lid emblem, "MR" is finished in red to stamp its presence more vividly on the interior.

Engine
The well-proven 2-liter in-line 4-cylinder 16-valve DOHC intercooler-turbocharged 4G63 engine has undergone detail improvements. The power unit retains Lancer Evolution's trademark flat torque band that kicks in from low engine speeds but now generates gutsier torque in the mid- to high-rev band.*

The turbocharger uses a larger turbine nozzle with matching cam profile to deliver higher output at mid- to high engine speeds.*

The turbocharger waste gate now uses two solenoids. This optimizes boost pressure control to give more stable torque in the low to mid-range and helps the powerplant to generate class-topping torque of 295ft/lbs at 3,500 rpm.*

Durability is improved through shape optimization and reinforcement of the cooling water channels, uprating from a 3-ply to 5-ply head gasket and the use of magnetic ion-coated piston rings.

Engine response is improved with the use of lighter silent shafts.

Cooling performance is improved with the use of a larger oil cooler that features two extra rows. [* RS 5M/T excluded]

Body
Evolution VIII MR is the first steel monocoque body Japanese production car to use an aluminium roof panel, reducing vehicle weight by some 4 kg. Reduction of weight in the upper body lowers the vehicle's center of gravity and reduces roll moment to realize a substantial improvement in handling performance.

To join the steel monocoque frame and aluminium roof panel, Evolution VIII MR employs an innovative method that uses self-piercing rivets, which expand radially into the steel of the structural member below, and a structural adhesive.

The provision of a single longitudinal design bead in the roof panel solves the problem of thermal warping that occurs in the manufacturing process as a result of aluminium having a thermal expansion coefficient nearly twice that of steel. This measure has also enabled any increase in the weight of the roof panel to be minimized.

For increased cabin strength, diagonal braces are used to reinforce the roof joins at the front, center and rear pillars.

The front door side impact bars use aluminium instead of steel, reducing weight by 3.5 kg while providing the same level of impact safety.

Suspension
Shock absorbers jointly developed with Bilstein exclusively for Evolution VIII MR offer superior response characteristics and realize better road holding.

The use of different damping rates for the single-tube front and rear shocks and shape optimization of the rear bump stop has resulted in superior levels of handling stability and road holding together with a sporty ride quality.

Electronically-controlled 4WD system
Harmonized control of the ACD[2], Super AYC[3] and Sport ABS[4] 4WD system components is more finely tuned on Evolution VIII MR after feedback from testing programs and from use in actual competition. As a result, the all-wheel control [AWC] system is tuned with greater bias on sporty and competitive use.

On Evolution VIII, the AWC system gave control bias to the Sport ABS in order to stabilize the body attitude under hard braking. For Evolution VIII MR, the system is tuned for optimum response on different road surfaces. More specifically, by keeping ACD + Super AYC control active while Sport ABS is in operation, the car now responds more accurately to steering inputs as it enters, and holds its line better through, corners on dry tarmac and other high-friction surfaces.

The weight of the Super AYC unit has been reduced by 800 grams by switching from steel to aluminium for the clutch case and by reviewing the metal clutch disc gauge. The use of high-strength steel for the differential hypoid gears has raised fatigue strength by some 20%.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:44 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Engines are not them same. The base is the same but the MR has many revisions over the standard VIII including head gasket, turbo etc...plus bodywork like the roof is aluminium.

also, the 340 only comes with an MR or a IX. the VIII was available in GSR, FQ300 and FQ330 guises.
Bodies are not ally!!!! Engines are the same!!!! With the execption of a few bits. Read above and inwardly digest mate.
dave

Last edited by misty; 26 May 2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the mr seems to be an upgaded version, and for that price seems very very cheap
Old 26 May 2006, 02:46 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Bodies are not ally!!!! Engines are the same!!!! With the execption of a few bits. Read above and inwardly digest mate.
dave
so you mean that engines are the same....but a bit different

I do have one you know ...albeit an MR FQ320

Not all bodywork is aluminium, but the roof, bonnet and side impact bars are (the latter 2 being MR only)

I reckon the ad is a duff. Just sounds about the right price for an FQ330 (plus the MR was first released on an 04 plate)

Last edited by Kyl3cook; 26 May 2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 26 May 2006, 03:45 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I do have one you know ...albeit an MR FQ320
So you have one? but it's a bit different then? Because it's not actually one?
dave
Old 26 May 2006, 03:47 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

exactly ....mine doesn't have a plonker of a piggy back chip, and I don't burn/freeze my bum in the extremes of temperature with the leather ....

the 320 is the way forward.
Old 26 May 2006, 03:52 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Or you just couldn't afford a 340??
dave
Old 26 May 2006, 04:26 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

No I just thought it better to save £3k and pay £500 for an ECUtek remap instead and get 360bhp and 370lb/ft. Bear in mind the FQ400 has an official 355lb/ft torque, that's not bad.

Plus I've heard some stories about the pigggyback ecu and supporting mods as it doesn't self-adjust the fueling
Old 26 May 2006, 04:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What boost is it running to make 370 lbft? Mine was said to be 394 lbft on Dyno Dynamics, running the same boost at Dastek was about 335 lbft which I am more able to believe - it needed a fair bit more boost to hit only 355 lbft, and my old Scooby/2.5 still had a lot more midrange shove at 395 lbft at Dastek. I gather that the FQ400 runs about 1.8 bar to make 355 lbft on a bigger turbo, and doubt that a lot of these remapped MR/IX are making anything like that unless they also run similar boost.
Old 26 May 2006, 04:39 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default kyle Matt

You are back from las vegas then mate, coming down to any of this weekends shows
Old 26 May 2006, 04:56 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul, yes I'm back from vegas a litle bit poorer!! bugger! anyway, this weekend is a chilled one for me. I think my next show will be the one at Thoresby Hall.

John, My car peaks at 1.55 Bar and makes 283.6ft/lbs at 4000rpm atw...so is about 373lb/ft atf
Old 26 May 2006, 05:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe 26% losses at 4000 RPM. You can't apply the (already inflated IMHO) power figure adjustments to torque figures.

I had 245 WHP at 4000 RPM on one of my dyno runs, with several others over 240 WHP at 4000 RPM. With this ridiculous 0.76 adjustment that becomes 423 lbft! In reality the losses were only 9% at 4000 RPM, giving a 0.91 adjustment to 354 lbft. This was running more boost with MIVEC and a larger turbo than the VIII MR.

Some realism is needed with these torque figures.
Old 26 May 2006, 05:17 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default john

I know what you mean, mine made 372bhp and only 350 lbs of torque on autronics, feels around that fiqure
Old 26 May 2006, 05:18 PM
REZBOY
Scooby Regular

I have a mr 320 used to have a classic impreza, the old man has a 05 sti prodrived inpreza so have a direct comparison and my dad is a subaru lover and has had them for the past 12 years...

The mr is more expensive to run, heavier on petrol, service every 4500 miles. HOWEVER the car is better built, quicker ( straight line and round corners once you get the hang of it ) and seems much sturdier... The 340 is a 320 with leather, sat nav and a silly piggy back connector attached to the ecu to gain the extra power, I have heard a lot of stories where there have been problems starting the cars, stalling when taking car out of reverse gear and also other probs I cannot really remember much about.

They are two totally different cars to drive, the impreza is a lot easier to push in my opinion UNTIL you get used the the electronic gizmos such as active yaw control... The MR does have a serious bite if you lift off the trottle mid corner...

If you asked my dad he would say the mitsi is the better car even though he would hate to admit that... I also agree with this as well ( flame suit on !!! )

At the end of the day everyone has personal preferences so go and drive it and see what you think..

If it is an import the lettering found on the back of the car is different to that of a uk car. When I compared insurance prems imports were more expensive nut at least mitsi garages will service them.

Rez

Quick Reply: EVO V111 340