Drove a new Audi RS 4 Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 09:14 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove a new Audi RS 4 Today!!!

And all i can say ia WOW!!!!

Press the button to put the car into sports mode, and the exhaust starts to Growl, gear ratio's change and the S Line interior just hogs you as if its ready for any abuse that you can give it...WOW! The car is like glued to the road even in the wet....

My cousion came down from up north who just spent £55k on a new RS4...and the cars been with me all weekend...

Anyway..thought id share that with you...as its the closest i will ever get to driving one...

The best part was to see the look on passing by M3 owners on the roads....
Old 20 May 2006, 09:42 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine arrives in 3 weeks time!

I'm having second thoughts though( mainly about the cost) and an independant has agreed to buy it from me at list. Problem is they want to meet me at the Audi dealer when I collect so I won't get to own it for a few days
Old 20 May 2006, 09:44 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

Fair play to you!! my uncle has got an RS6 and he's coming to see his old nephew next weekend, so has any 1 got any roehipnal????!!!!!! or sleeping tabs
Old 20 May 2006, 09:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Its a great car, and i dnt think you would regret it..

Apparantly Audi only made so many of these (though i not 100% about this...? hence you will not actually loose too much on it at the time of sale later...

My brother has 2 Audi S4's and they are also great...and i guess if the RS4 had turbo's it would ha ve been the bomb! as currently the power is all up at top revs..

The thing i liked was when you turn on the car, a message comes on the display, oil cold please do not exceed 7000rpm...which was weird as the car only revs to 8000!? and the cool thing was when cold the car would not drive past 7000rpm even if you tried to boot it further...

The car seems to be bullet proof...!

My cousion got his on the last second, as the guy who orderd it had backed out from the deal....
Old 20 May 2006, 11:26 PM
Adam Hybrid
Scooby Regular

My uncle has a turbo'd M3 which owes him SILLY money and after test driving the RS4 has decided to sell up and hunt one down for himself, think thats testament to the ability if these cars.

I know we all say it but thats one car i WILL own one day lol. Along with the Veyron and Ford RS200 lol
Old 21 May 2006, 10:07 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Have many dealers got demo's of these? Ie Bristol Audi?

I need to make a warranty claim on my car at some point, so would be interested in trying to get a test drive in one of these while Im there!

Deep there's no way you'll sell that car when you get it! Its like giving a bird a chocolate bar, and saying hold it, but dont eat it! It cant be done!
Old 21 May 2006, 10:48 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I can see why Deep wonders about the VFM. FWIW my take is as follows - agree/disagree as you will:

I can only weigh up the value of something like an M3 because it is all I have experience of with this type of car. I don't think these £45-55K (as new with "required options") performance/comfort compromise cars are worth the money to me personally. I suspect a lot of people buying these are giving up around about the value of their take home pay for a whole year on the outright purchase price of this car. We can get excited by residuals that people are predicting, but the only way to protect yourself against these is to be in a deal where this is guaranteed, the contract hire rates are at £850 inc VAT on 3+35 for 10000 miles per yr. If you buy with savings, or an arrangement with a conservative balloon, you are exposed to the real residuals which no one is guaranteeing. I was losing £800 per month (not including the loss of interest/income from the savings I tied up in it) over the time I had the M3, and I bought and sold as well as I could a low mileage car. The first owner was losing about £1.50 per mile simply on depreciation, mine was about £0.90 per mile, which was lighter than others who bought and sold over a similar period.

If these sorts of cars were utterly incredible performers and overall cars it might be worth it. Trouble is, my experience of the M3 revealed a compromised car that is no better than a £10k nearly new Mondeo on the daily grind (I really mean that), and considerably worse than a nearly new £25k Evo at the performance stuff. Image doesn't count to me personally here.

I wanted to try a new RS4 to see what all the fuss was about, but when it is slower around a track than an STI that can be bought for £32k less (never mind the Evo), it is obviously at least as compromised in its own way than less expensive performance cars. Whilst I've not tracked my present car yet having only had it a month - not sure I will also, the track times and magazine reviews do give a nice idea of how a car will perform overall in perhaps a way you can't fully assess with a salesman sitting next to you.

Just my 2p, and obviously the reason I'm not buying one even though I strongly considered it after all the hype.

Last edited by john banks; 21 May 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 21 May 2006, 11:06 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by john banks
I can see why Deep wonders about the VFM. FWIW my take is as follows - agree/disagree as you will:

I can only weigh up the value of something like an M3 because it is all I have experience of with this type of car. I don't think these £45-55K (as new with "required options") .
Indeed, by the time my friend -significantly better off than me, I might add - had specified his M3 convertible, the price had gone up by many thousands! There didn't appear to be anything too extravagant on there either! I think when you're in the 40k price bracket, things like satellite navigation should be std equipment to be honest. Add things like that, and it starts to look dubious from a VFM perspective.

If imagine isn't important to you, there are other cars that perform pretty much as well, if not better, for significantly less. I've not driven the RS4, so can't comment on that. I'm sure it'll be outstanding, but value for money.....................

Ns04
Old 21 May 2006, 02:42 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by SamUK
Press the button to put the car into sports mode, and the exhaust starts to Growl, gear ratio's change and the S Line interior just hogs you as if its ready for any abuse that you can give it...WOW!
Its certainly a great car but please explain the "gear ratio's change" what do you mean? Its a standard manual gearbox so they most certainly dont, the throttle response is changed though. Also anyone buying an RS4 would be a tad disappointed if it turned up with an S-line interior, the RS4 seats have bolsters which tighten when you press the sport button if thats what you mean.

/Pedant mode off
Old 21 May 2006, 03:01 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There was a brand new 06 plate RS4 running at Scoobynet Live today. Standing quarter was in the 13s - lovely car. He was just taking it onto the handling circuit in the wet when I left. Best of british to him
Old 21 May 2006, 03:52 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

A friend of the family just bought one, he got it silly cheap as well.

Had an S4 fron new, loads of problems, Audi spent silly money trying to fix it.

After a meeting with the Audi sales director they came to a rather nice agreement He part ex his S4 for a decent price AND they gave him the RS4 at the VAT free price!

His plan was to get it and sell it right away for profit, but according ot my step dad it's way too much fun for him to do that, although he's alreayd moaning about the mpg lol, what did he expect!

I haven't driven it but step dad has, he said it's bloomin fast, silly scary fast at times, but just doesn't seem like a 50k car, interior or exterior.
Old 21 May 2006, 03:57 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

the new rs4 rides and handles better than anything else ive ever driven, it maybe isnt as utterly devastating on track as an evo,sti but how much of your time do you actually spend on track against on road? and on the road its a lot more composed than an evo or sti,the quality of the ride,handling, grip and feedback is what truly makes this car stand out. and that engine note
you can easily buy an evo/sti and mod it to be much faster for much less money,it certainly doesnt have anywhere near the same thump in the back factor of a 400hp evo but i doubt if you could get the dynamics of them to match the rs4,it really is that good.
as far as residuals go,if your worried about losing monet dont even think about buying a car under 3 years old, but look at the prices of five year old rs4s now,about 60% residuals which is easily better than normal.
the only downside to the rs4 is that i cant afford one!
fortunately i know a man who can
Old 21 May 2006, 04:17 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Its a great car, and i dnt think you would regret it..

Apparantly Audi only made so many of these (though i not 100% about this...? hence you will not actually loose too much on it at the time of sale later...
It is not a Limited run and Audi will build as many as they can to order, also it does not come with a S-Line interior !!!!!!!

Mog
Old 21 May 2006, 04:28 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default I think your social demographics are rather out...

I can only weigh up the value of something like an M3 because it is all I have experience of with this type of car. I don't think these £45-55K (as new with "required options") performance/comfort compromise cars are worth the money to me personally. I suspect a lot of people buying these are giving up around about the value of their take home pay for a whole year on the outright purchase price of this car. We can get excited by residuals that people are predicting, but the only way to protect yourself against these is to be in a deal where this is guaranteed, the contract hire rates are at £850 inc VAT on 3+35 for 10000 miles per yr. If you buy with savings, or an arrangement with a conservative balloon, you are exposed to the real residuals which no one is guaranteeing. I was losing £800 per month (not including the loss of interest/income from the savings I tied up in it) over the time I had the M3, and I bought and sold as well as I could a low mileage car. The first owner was losing about £1.50 per mile simply on depreciation, mine was about £0.90 per mile, which was lighter than others who bought and sold over a similar period.

If these sorts of cars were utterly incredible performers and overall cars it might be worth it. Trouble is, my experience of the M3 revealed a compromised car that is no better than a £10k nearly new Mondeo on the daily grind (I really mean that), and considerably worse than a nearly new £25k Evo at the performance stuff. Image doesn't count to me personally here.

I wanted to try a new RS4 to see what all the fuss was about, but when it is slower around a track than an STI that can be bought for £32k less (never mind the Evo), it is obviously at least as compromised in its own way than less expensive performance cars. Whilst I've not tracked my present car yet having only had it a month - not sure I will also, the track times and magazine reviews do give a nice idea of how a car will perform overall in perhaps a way you can't fully assess with a salesman sitting next to you.

Just my 2p, and obviously the reason I'm not buying one even though I strongly considered it after all the hype.
I don't know may people who earn 45-55 k a year spend that again on a car. The market for these cars new is for people earning in excess of 60k. The middle mgt cars are 320-325's and base 520's etc. Senior mgrs etc would be in the market for M3, new m3 and rs4.

Your right about speed on the track and also refinement (the ride on m3 is pretty shocking) however as a package i.e. rear wheel drive, motorways, residuals oh and badge (cars are after all status symbals whether you like it or not) these types of cars offer a good package. I could'nt turn up to my meetings in a evo or sti and be taken seriously by my peers, sorry thats reality.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

take home pay
I based this on the mention in a review (5th gear I think) of the S6 that the average income of people that buy them is about £90k. That is about £55k take home.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:21 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
It is not a Limited run and Audi will build as many as they can to order, also it does not come with a S-Line interior !!!!!!!

Mog

Id say the UK will get about 2.5 thousand RS4s max
Old 21 May 2006, 06:09 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Wink stand corrected

I based this on the mention in a review (5th gear I think) of the S6 that the average income of people that buy them is about £90k. That is about £55k take home.
I'll read your post properly next time
Old 21 May 2006, 06:26 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

can somone put up the spec o f an rs4, I thought it was turbocharged??
Old 21 May 2006, 06:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Id say the UK will get about 2.5 thousand RS4s max
2500?!! No way! A new-shape A4 is due at the end of next year, so that gives less than 2years production for the current RS4 - and there will be very few on the roads, given the high purchase price.

I'd say more like 1000 tops for the UK.
Old 21 May 2006, 06:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The engine is an alloy 4.2 V8 direct injection 32 valve with VVT, producing 414 BHP at 7800 RPM and 317lbft at 5500 RPM.

http://www.rs246.com/modules.php?op=...rder=0&thold=0
Old 21 May 2006, 06:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

cat7, seems then that people are throwing a lot of their disposable income at a car (to get taken seriously by their peers - not peers I'd want BTW) that looks similar to an A4 S-line and doesn't exactly top the performance charts? You wouldn't drive away in it thinking that it was especially good VFM in any way IMHO.

I've seen two RS4s, and about 50 times I've looked at an S-line badged A4 wondering if it was one.
Old 21 May 2006, 07:57 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

thanks john, surpried it isn't turbochrged since all of the 's' cars afaik are turbo'd!
Old 21 May 2006, 08:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

If it was turbocharged I'd have bought one by now as it would be worth every penny IMHO.

The S4 has been NA for some time...
Old 21 May 2006, 08:08 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

There was a red one at elvington today looked nice and sounded even better it did 13.6 on the 1/4 mile when i saw it @107mph.
Old 21 May 2006, 08:09 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

There was a red one at elvington today looked nice and sounded even better it did 13.6 on the 1/4 mile when i saw it @107mph.
Old 21 May 2006, 08:18 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Where to start?

John,

Even though image is not that important to me ( otherwise I'd buy a flashier car) I cannot drive around in a Evo/STi anymore.

To say these type of cars are no better than a Mondeo on the daily grind is just not true. After a hard days graft I know which car I'd rather slip into, and its defo my C32 AMG not a Mondeo, and I'm not referring to the image.

Don't confuse the RS4 with the M3. I've driven both and the RS4 is streets ahead, no matter what the figures say.

As for the depreciation, a STi/Evo can easily shed the same £10k in a year or so that RS4/M3s can

Anyway the reason I'm selling is that I just can't justify the cost at present. House is undergoing a complete refurb and other things
Old 21 May 2006, 08:41 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default good point

cat7, seems then that people are throwing a lot of their disposable income at a car (to get taken seriously by their peers - not peers I'd want BTW) that looks similar to an A4 S-line and doesn't exactly top the performance charts? You wouldn't drive away in it thinking that it was especially good VFM in any way IMHO.

I've seen two RS4s, and about 50 times I've looked at an S-line badged A4 wondering if it was one.
however the fact remains that in my role (account mgt ....I'm a bloody salesman!) people do judge you on what you drive as they believe this shows in part aspirations, success etc etc. In the case of the RS4 a lot of people have mentioned that it does not look sufficiently different to the s-line to be worth the premium. In reality its just us petrol heads that pay the difference and the number Audi are making backs this up (relatively small numbers as its a halo model). Only those who value genuine performance will pay the premium and when you combine that with badge, interior etc etc you will always pay a considerable premium to join the club. If you just want out and out performance then the evos, scoobys of this world are just about unbeatable for a road car.
Old 21 May 2006, 09:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Fair enough cat7.

Deep, I can quite see why anyone sensible with other priorities would sell. What is so special about the RS4 compared with the M3? There are some that prefer the M3, and not just those who own them.

And a Mondeo is an utterly brilliant car. Comfortable, refined, spacious, reliable, excellent range, handles well, beautifully balanced. You could be in an A4 as far as I'm concerned, just with an "inferior" badge. So it just misses a load of acceleration which we all know how to get masses of on here very cheaply. It doesn't need AWD, massive brakes/tyres, stiff suspension. Driven like 90% of driving is done it is every bit as good as an M3 without all the pretence and useless toys that break.

I'm not being pig headed just to make a point, I honestly don't see the point in having a compromise and paying through the nose for it.
Old 21 May 2006, 09:51 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Fair enough cat7.

Deep, I can quite see why anyone sensible with other priorities would sell. What is so special about the RS4 compared with the M3? There are some that prefer the M3, and not just those who own them.

And a Mondeo is an utterly brilliant car. Comfortable, refined, spacious, reliable, excellent range, handles well, beautifully balanced. You could be in an A4 as far as I'm concerned, just with an "inferior" badge. So it just misses a load of acceleration which we all know how to get masses of on here very cheaply. It doesn't need AWD, massive brakes/tyres, stiff suspension. Driven like 90% of driving is done it is every bit as good as an M3 without all the pretence and useless toys that break.

I'm not being pig headed just to make a point, I honestly don't see the point in having a compromise and paying through the nose for it.
John, I don't agree. A RS4 type car is better than a Mondeo because its faster, handles/grips/steers better. Its interior quality is on a different level. The useless toys you speak of actually are the 'little things' that make a car such a nice place to be ie leccy heated seats/auto lights/wipers/premium sound/top sat nav/cruise and much more. Also other quality issues like road/wind noise and just the solid way the wipers sweep at high speeds and the thud of the door.

90% of driving maybe in mundane conditions but you can't suddenly swap cars that remaining 10% of times! The one car has to do both things.

Aswell as that a RS4 will keep pace/outpace a Evo 340 to 60 and 100 mph(and a £70k 997s)

Cars like the RS4/RS6 and M5 offer so much in one package. The M3 did not, but thats because compared to a RS4 its underpowered, badly built, can't hold 4 adults and has a small boot. Its actually less practical than a STi, and slower, thats why I didn't buy one. The RS4 is faster ( 0-100 and 0-60) and more practical

imho!!!
Old 21 May 2006, 11:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
90% of driving maybe in mundane conditions but you can't suddenly swap cars that remaining 10% of times! The one car has to do both things.
So why not bias the type of car toward the 90% usage? Ride / noise should surely be up there as the most important attributes?

Quick Reply: Drove a new Audi RS 4 Today!!!