Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

225megane cup

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2006, 10:45 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 225megane cup

read up on these ,drove 2 ,quite impressed (part from gearbox),what is the depreciation going to be like ,am i going to buy a donkey?
Old 18 May 2006, 09:45 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leerichosti
read up on these ,drove 2 ,quite impressed (part from gearbox),what is the depreciation going to be like ,am i going to buy a donkey?
Can't remember which programme it was but fairly sure it was on 5th gear, they had a head to head between the megane 225 and Astra VXR.

The Astra took all the abuse thrown at it on the day, whereas the AA / RAC had to come out and look at a poorly Megane that had decided to chuck a wobbler because it was being used for the purpose for which it was designed . The ECU went into limp home mode, they fixed that and then something else cocked up and then it went into limp home mode again.

Have never driven one so can't comment from that perspective although from what I hear they handle really well and go very well - biggest let downs appear to be build quality / materials, reliability and dealer network.

Their are a lot of competent cars in the same class, probably worth having a really good look around and test driving the competition.

For similair money you could be in a Focus ST, Astra VXR, Cooper S, Ocatvia VRS, Golf GTI (Just), Old shape Civic type R, Import WRX (Litchfields) too name but a few.

Only my opinion, sideshowbob had a similair dilemma to you and ordered a VXR Astra after test driving the rest, might be worth doing a search for his post and or dropping him a PM for feedback as it was only a couple of weeks ago.

Regards

GB
Old 18 May 2006, 09:57 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

There are quite a few 225 Trophys around for 14-15k and they will be about 12 months old. I reckon they will depreciate very badly.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:03 AM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

225 depreciate like a stone in water. For the same money you can buy a mint Civic Type R (its faster than a wrx to 100mph ) and will lap up as much punishment as you can throw at it and still want more...Yes I have one I drove a 225 Trophy and thought my was better. Test drive a CTR and i'm sure you'll prefer it to the 225. Shame im selling my CTR in a few months, time for a faster car
Old 18 May 2006, 11:52 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Fast car ? Yes
Good depreciation ? No
Good looking Car ? Having a laugh aren't you?

Can't see too many people wanting to pay top dollar for a Megane, when there are far better looking cars, Focus ST, Astra, Golf, etc that are just as fast.
Old 18 May 2006, 12:45 PM
luke m
Scooby Regular

the megane is by some way the most contempory, original and stylish design of its class, despite being a number of years old, but of course beauty is in the beholder as the above thread shows! astra?!!
Old 18 May 2006, 01:58 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

The Megane looks like a terrible wrong'un to me. Different can be pretty though, like the new Citroen C6.
Old 18 May 2006, 06:24 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

buymynewcar have brand new meg cups for 14k, I drove one and loved it bar the gearbox
Old 18 May 2006, 07:30 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

I was following a 06 car this morning,black alloys sort of purple blue and F1 williams decals it looked quite good.We even had a sensible little spirited drive.JAY
Old 18 May 2006, 08:08 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

dont know what to do ,can get a cup as mentioned for 14k or a ctr or leon cupra r etc etc but what is drawing me to the megane is the fact that you dont see many of them about which cant be said for the ctr
i go on holiday in two weeks i think ill make up my mind up then
Old 18 May 2006, 08:46 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

It's a Renault so will drop to bits very quickly and will depriciate even quicker. My old 172 Cup was great fun but had to take it back to the dealers a couple of times and had some annoying rattles and a tinny stereo. Unless you can get one dirt cheap I would save your money. I have had my LCR for nearly 2 years now and am still not bored with it, this from a guy who changed his car every 18 months.
Old 18 May 2006, 09:05 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

I have a megane 225 the original phase 1 (now with a few tweeks) Let me tell you theres a lot of ****e that gets talked about megs mainly by people that think renault havent moved on since the GT Turbo. My advice is to go to a dealer, have a poke round the new phase 2 thats just come out, the build quality is approaching VAG now even my phase 1 is the best built renault I've ever seen/owned and my m8 who has a new golf TDI admits the meg is better put together!

As for the styling its always going to divide opinion but IMO it makes the competition(GTI, VXR , ST) look positively dated. The bottom line is when your paying 15k for a 225 with full climate control and full leather it probably the best 15k you can spend on a new car. Add a grand to that and you have a remap, intercooler and exhaust and your still below the buy price of a basic ST or VXR. No brainer IMO

Oh yeah depreciation you need to bend over and take it like a man I'm afraid. Same with all renaults, but then what performance cars dont depreciate? Its no worse than buying a scoob STi

Do it!

then get onto www.meganesport.net

Last edited by meganesport.net; 18 May 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 18 May 2006, 11:11 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

im not biast in any way and my opinion is........
i think the megane 225 looks quite a menacing and aggressive car, it is certainly not a common car (unlike the ctr and lcr) and with 225 is easily on performance par with any of the aforementioned cars.
it has individual styling and imo looks great although i am not keen on its **** end.
i had a 172 (before 2 scoobs) and thought the build quality was fine and it never went in for repair in 2.5 years.
if you have test drove one and like it, go for it, and dont be shy of buying private (as long as it has warranty) as you will get one substantially cheaper and most sellers will drop when they see the reddies.
as for depreciation who cares...... buy some shares if you want investment