Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ASTRA VXR

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 01:10 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ASTRA VXR

Mate at work just bought one. Saw it at lunchtime - very nice!!!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I said I would post on s-net for him. It is silver and has 150 miles on the clock. 237 bhp - not faster than mine but would give it a good run for its money and would certainly whip some of you gimps!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 01:11 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol did you see what happened in the last VXR thread.

It looks nice enough and its a goer. How much did he pay for it?
Old 24 March 2006, 01:13 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

£17,800 ISH!!

What happened in the last one - could you put a link on?
Old 24 March 2006, 01:22 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Here we go again!

They're faster than a WRX don't you know

Steve
Old 24 March 2006, 01:57 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Last thread got vaped, but was very funny, basically to some up 8 pages worth, VXR good for what it is, as standard better than a WRX but not as good as an STi. Horses for courses depends on what you want from a car, but vauxhall have come a long way
Old 25 March 2006, 08:38 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

had a little paly with one in my98 uk turbo wagon,dawes,decat etc, i beat it but a standard uk wouldnt i dont think, they really shift when rolling.
Old 26 March 2006, 07:47 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightwave693
had a little paly with one in my98 uk turbo wagon,dawes,decat etc, i beat it but a standard uk wouldnt i dont think, they really shift when rolling.
can I have your autograph

Bet you would not have posted if you had not, I can see this thread going the same way as the other one

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2006, 09:34 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

I like them a lot, infact prior to getting our TSL333 we had one on order but due to the delayed launch we cancelled the order.

As our 333 has now been sold I can confidently say that a VXR would woop the *** of my 2.0tdi passat estate without any probs.

Basically I would say they are good cars, different to a scoob in many ways and I doubt whether many on SN would ever admit to having a close run with one.

I await the "yes but get the wrx on the twisties and bye bye VXR........" post.

Each to their own.

GB
Old 26 March 2006, 12:25 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

nice car but they aint gonna be quicker than an STI, not far off on the straights maybe but forget corners. My chipped 225 will just creep past an sti and gain quite a bit over 100mph but forget corners, wouldnt even keep with a uk WRX but hey at least I'm man enough to admit it
Old 26 March 2006, 05:48 PM
crazyman1979
Scooby Regular

Got one of these in our road, he always used to look very confident when i had the corrado, now he looks sheepish at me in the scoob, caught him looking at the back the other day trying to make out the '333'
Old 26 March 2006, 07:46 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyman1979
Got one of these in our road, he always used to look very confident when i had the corrado, now he looks sheepish at me in the scoob, caught him looking at the back the other day trying to make out the '333'
How's it going Richard?

Doubt your neighbour will worry you too much now you have the 333 .

How I miss that car, did I mention that I don't like you very much , only joking - hope your enjoying the car.

If I had the choice between VXR and TSL333, I know which would be tucked up in my garage - it has 4 wheel drive and is available in WR Blue .

Paul
Old 26 March 2006, 10:04 PM
crazyman1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gingerboy
How's it going Richard?

Doubt your neighbour will worry you too much now you have the 333 .

How I miss that car, did I mention that I don't like you very much , only joking - hope your enjoying the car.

If I had the choice between VXR and TSL333, I know which would be tucked up in my garage - it has 4 wheel drive and is available in WR Blue .

Paul

Hehe,
alright matey, really enjoying the car now ive fully gotten used to it....
cleaned it 4 times already but it just gets dirty again
The facia on the stereo is a bugger to get in but thats about my ony complaint , you must miss it.
Old 26 March 2006, 11:17 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by meganesport.net
My chipped 225 will just creep past an sti and gain quite a bit over 100mph but forget corners, wouldnt even keep with a uk WRX but hey at least I'm man enough to admit it
What has your chipped 225 got to do with this topic?
Old 27 March 2006, 02:37 AM
yodajedimaster
Scooby Regular

Guy at work has the Vectra VXR Estate on order. He already has it booked in at Courtneys for a re-map which will turn it into an absolute beast! Think the torque figure goes to IRO 380lbs/ft.

Be interesting to see how quick it actually is but I can see it leaving my Standard Classic behind somehow. All credit to Vauxhall!

Robert.
Old 27 March 2006, 06:43 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yodajedimaster
Guy at work has the Vectra VXR Estate on order. He already has it booked in at Courtneys for a re-map which will turn it into an absolute beast! Think the torque figure goes to IRO 380lbs/ft.

Be interesting to see how quick it actually is but I can see it leaving my Standard Classic behind somehow. All credit to Vauxhall!

Robert.
Apparently with 380lbft (no "/" - see the post in the general forum ), the fwd Vectra has an expected tyre life measured in feet rather than miles.

In all seriousness, the Vauxhall turbos do seem to be pretty good at moderate levels of tune, IIRC it's fairly straightforward to get around 300/300 out of the 2 litre per Astra VXR with much less than scooby amounts of lag
Old 27 March 2006, 08:30 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frazer
What has your chipped 225 got to do with this topic?
erm well with 270 bhp I can just about overtake an STI in a straight line so an astra VXR with 240BHP and similar weight is not really going to be STI pace. Just a comparison sorry I should have made the point a bit more simply for those in the class less able to keep up
Old 27 March 2006, 09:18 PM
yodajedimaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Apparently with 380lbft (no "/" - see the post in the general forum ), the fwd Vectra has an expected tyre life measured in feet rather than miles.

In all seriousness, the Vauxhall turbos do seem to be pretty good at moderate levels of tune, IIRC it's fairly straightforward to get around 300/300 out of the 2 litre per Astra VXR with much less than scooby amounts of lag
On night shift with the guy in question at present and the torque figure is actually 353llbs/ft based upon what has been acheived with the same engines in the Saab! This is also switchable within the cabin from normal output to "tweeked" output so a degree of normal driving can be acheived.

Robert.
Old 27 March 2006, 09:58 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by gingerboy
I like them a lot, infact prior to getting our TSL333 we had one on order but due to the delayed launch we cancelled the order.

As our 333 has now been sold I can confidently say that a VXR would woop the *** of my 2.0tdi passat estate without any probs.

Basically I would say they are good cars, different to a scoob in many ways and I doubt whether many on SN would ever admit to having a close run with one.

I await the "yes but get the wrx on the twisties and bye bye VXR........" post.

Each to their own.

GB
Alright Gingerboy, I might have known you would still be into Vauxhalls - I saw your pics of your MK2 GTE (very nice) on the thread I posted on 'post your best pic of your retro classic.'

Shame you are missing your TSL 333 Scoob!!! Still, the new guy seems to be enjoying it and I dare say you are saving a few greenbacks on petroleum!!!

The guy in my work has only done 250 miles in his new VXR and is complaining about the fuel consumption already - wait till he runs it in...........
Old 27 March 2006, 11:55 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

nice car but they aint gonna be quicker than an STI, not far off on the straights maybe but forget corners. My chipped 225 will just creep past an sti and gain quite a bit over 100mph but forget corners, wouldnt even keep with a uk WRX but hey at least I'm man enough to admit

arent u the same clown who was on mlr claiming to be faster than an evo also?

when you say an sti, i think its a bit of a broad statement as there are many different stis

anyway, enough about crappy french cars
Old 28 March 2006, 08:38 AM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yodajedimaster
On night shift with the guy in question at present and the torque figure is actually 353llbs/ft based upon what has been acheived with the same engines in the Saab! This is also switchable within the cabin from normal output to "tweeked" output so a degree of normal driving can be acheived.

Robert.
What the *uck is llbs/ft

Torque is either lbft or Nm

GET IT RIGHT

Old 28 March 2006, 08:49 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
What the *uck is llbs/ft

GET IT RIGHT

No room for error on here
Old 29 March 2006, 07:52 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jason4656

when you say an sti, i think its a bit of a broad statement as there are many different stis

yeah thats me m8 how ya doin erm if you want to provide a uk 260 evo for me on our local bypass road I'll glady recreate it for you. Thats the only scalp I was claiming not none of your silly 5k service interval stuff like you own. We could all go *** whipping in an evo if we want to spend the money. My 225 gives good performance for a resonable cost as does the VXR, a good alternitive to the ubiquitous, and rather passe Lancer Evo

Last edited by meganesport.net; 29 March 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 29 March 2006, 08:01 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
What the *uck is llbs/ft

GET IT RIGHT

what the *uck is slim_boy_fat

Your either fat or slim

GET IT RIGHT

you c.u.n.t lemon
Old 30 March 2006, 07:38 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by meganesport.net
yeah thats me m8 how ya doin erm if you want to provide a uk 260 evo for me on our local bypass road I'll glady recreate it for you. Thats the only scalp I was claiming not none of your silly 5k service interval stuff like you own. We could all go *** whipping in an evo if we want to spend the money. My 225 gives good performance for a resonable cost as does the VXR, a good alternitive to the ubiquitous, and rather passe Lancer Evo
That realy is quite a pertinant statement. We choose our cars to suit our needs at the time.

Eighteen months ago my requirement was for speed and novelty so I bought an STi Version V Type R. Now I need something cheap and fun so I run a Clio 182 Cup (It's still faster than a WRX though ).

Steve
Old 30 March 2006, 08:06 AM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
(It's still faster than a WRX though ).Steve
What isn't..??
Old 31 March 2006, 12:21 AM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jason4656

He's a troll, just ignore him and he'll leave.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:47 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Power, torque, BHP, Weight etc are all irrelevant if you don't know how to use it. I've had a long distance race in my old GTI-6 with a brand new M3, sure he flew past me on the straights but bottled every roundabout. He took me on the straights and i went past him on every roundabout on the A24 coming into Horsham. It carried on like that the whole way home and he sure didn't look happy a £2k car was making him look silly.
My fairly standard classic WRX has seen off Supra TT's and Evo's mainly because they had all the power but had no idea how to use it.

Moral of the story is having a quick car doesn't make you quick.

I'd be careful of Silver Evo's in Sussex, have a close look for Blue LED's in the radiator grill before putting your foot down.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:04 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Not faster than my WRX...ner ner ner ner ner

VXR....great cars and considering but too much money IMHO.....
Old 31 March 2006, 09:58 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
Alright Gingerboy, I might have known you would still be into Vauxhalls - I saw your pics of your MK2 GTE (very nice) on the thread I posted on 'post your best pic of your retro classic.'

Shame you are missing your TSL 333 Scoob!!! Still, the new guy seems to be enjoying it and I dare say you are saving a few greenbacks on petroleum!!!

The guy in my work has only done 250 miles in his new VXR and is complaining about the fuel consumption already - wait till he runs it in...........
Mr Pope how are you?

Yes I have to admit that I still like the vauxhalls and having owned 6 over the past 15 years, unlike most they have all been trouble free aside from a noisy cambelt tensioner replaced under warranty.

The last car we had prior to the scoob was a black MK4 GSI Astra and it was a cracking car - don't get me wrong it was no scoob when it came to handling but it was rapid in a hot hatch way and very reliable and only ever needed servicing, one set of tyres and front pads in the 36,000 miles we owned it.

Hence why we were going for the VXR, the GSI was great and we had no reason to doubt that the VXR would not be as good as promised by vauxhall. However I do think their official MPG quotes were a little optimistic , I know a lot of owners of VXR's on other forums are reporting low to middle 20's for MPG on cars that are run in , however it could be worse I was looking at the amount of fuel the 333 used the other night and it was frightening. But the scoob was so good to drive and brought a smile to my face the moment it rumbled out of the garage .

Now how long have I got to wait until I have no more nursery fees to pay , too long is the answer - however I can assure you that when the time comes (so long as subaru don't lose the plot entirely) that we again have the disposable income available a japenese 4wd burbling brute will once again reside at our residence . Sorry vauxhall but scoobs are tooooooooo addictive and I can't ever see me not wanting another one.

Certainly sounds like Richard is enjoying the car, I really dislike him don't you know . In fairness a top bloke and I don't doubt for one minute he will enjoy her as much as I did.

GB