Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Impressed by Mondeo

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 10:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Impressed by Mondeo

Wife had someone drive into the side of her Octavia vRS so the courtesy car whilst it is repaired is a Mondeo Zetec. Petrol engine, can't find any reference to engine size, probably the 1.8.

Engine aside, I was very impressed by this car. Had a good few Fords before - Puma, Fiesta, Focus and always liked them.

This one was on Hankook tyres - presumably standard since it was only on 2000 miles. The brake pedal needed a firm push.

It was surprisingly refined despite being short geared, and the ride quality was good.

The astonishing thing was the composure through bends and the steering weight. It gave real confidence on turn in and the steering was just awesome.

I drive an E46 M3 daily and this shocked me how good it was! I bet some of the hot Mondeos could be really impressive?

Dare I say I think it handles better than a standard classic Scooby and has more cornering grip?

Last edited by john banks; 18 March 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 18 March 2006, 11:24 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both the handling and steering feel on the new Mondeo's are excellent. Ford have this aspect nailed on their current cars right through the Ka, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo.

Not sure what model you have but if it's short geared it's going to be a low powered petrol. The TDCi six speed's have a sixth gear of 32.5mph/1000rpm.

The brake pedal does need a firm push, it's due to the standard EBA (Emergency Brake Assist) servo, normal braking gives a firm pedal full of feel, panic braking gets instant full brake pressure.

The Mondeo does seem to have have an unnatural ability to soak up bumps but remain level in corners with a very crisp turn in. In my experience Scoobs don't offer as much turn in bite but have more grip, the downside being the Scoobs far firmer ride quality.

I used to own a classic scoob (Driven a few bug and blob eye) but currently have a 2005 Mondeo TDCi130, six speed, Ghia. Minor mechanical problems aside the Mondeo has been excellent and after 35k miles the Mondeo doesn't have a single rattle or squeek.

Cheers
Lee
Old 18 March 2006, 11:29 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I hired a 1.8 in Glasgow and drove over to Skye. Really excellent damping, steering, gearchange and very comfortable with it too. Not very fast but the fun bit is keeping the momentum up in these cars
Old 18 March 2006, 11:31 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Also drove the new Fiesta recently and that had most of the same qualities. Seems they really know how to build cars these days
Old 18 March 2006, 11:46 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I had a rather unassuming Si V6 estate. Now that surprised a few things onthe road.
Old 18 March 2006, 11:49 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I drive a diesel Focus daily at work, and IMO their handling and grip are amazing for what is asked of them.

I've also been a passenger in a standard 110ps diesel Focus being driven by a highly trained advanced driver, and I would never have believed the Focus could be pushed so far. Its handling limits were far further than I'd ever have guessed and I have no shame in admitting that I'd have had serious trouble keeping up with the diesel Focus being driven by this individual, even in any one of my Impreza's I've owned including 300+bhp classics and PPP'd blobeye STi.

Ford really have the handling side of their current range sorted
Old 19 March 2006, 12:44 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've driven a few hired Ford recently so have always had the smaller engines (i.e. Focus 1.4 and Mondeo 1.8) and have the same thought i.e. "Engine aside, I was very impressed". I most recently had a Focus which wa fun, but the engine was terrible. Sounded awful, no low down torque, no mid-range and hated revving and didn't make any power even if you did keep your foot in despite it's resistance. I reckon Zetec engines suck
Old 19 March 2006, 12:55 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I reckon Zetec engines suck
The petrols are Duratech now.

I notice your smiley but for others, a 1.4 in a 1250kg Focus or a 1.8 in a 1500kg Mondeo aint going to push you back in your seat.
Remember the old 1.6 N/A Impreza?

There are bigger engines in the range, the higher output diesels are superb, the 3.0litre Duratech V6's can make the Mondeo very entertaining and lets remember that the Focus comes with a 2.5litre, 5 cylinder turbo.

It's a measure of Fords chassis engineering that the Focus can still feel fun with 90bhp and the Mondeo still feel planted and refined with 115bhp and hardly any torque.
I know a scoob would feel pants with 90bhp instead of 225bhp+

Cheers
Lee
Old 20 March 2006, 08:41 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Wife had someone drive into the side of her Octavia vRS so the courtesy car whilst it is repaired is a Mondeo Zetec. Petrol engine, can't find any reference to engine size, probably the 1.8.

Engine aside, I was very impressed by this car. Had a good few Fords before - Puma, Fiesta, Focus and always liked them.

This one was on Hankook tyres - presumably standard since it was only on 2000 miles. The brake pedal needed a firm push.

It was surprisingly refined despite being short geared, and the ride quality was good.

The astonishing thing was the composure through bends and the steering weight. It gave real confidence on turn in and the steering was just awesome.

I drive an E46 M3 daily and this shocked me how good it was! I bet some of the hot Mondeos could be really impressive?

Dare I say I think it handles better than a standard classic Scooby and has more cornering grip?
John,

Its probably safe to say that since Richard Parry Jones got involved, all new Fords have been extremely good cars to drive. Steering, in particular.

The Puma was miles ahead of the Tigra, and anything else of that type

Fiestas since around, what, 97 have been excellent drivers cars

The Focus has always been a class leader

And the first mondeo was so much better to drive than the competition it was almost embarrassing.

It seems Ford have kept this up although Vauxhall seem to be getting closer.
Old 20 March 2006, 09:07 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I had a first generation Mondeo and it really did handle well.

The odd thing was, it did that trick of being "safe" for the Sunday drivers -- mild understeer and benign feedback when you were going at pottering speeds -- but when you started pushing it, the understeer disappeared and the steering really sharpened up, and it was incredibly accurate through corners.

I caned that car mercilessly for 3 years and nothing ever went wrong.
Old 20 March 2006, 11:12 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Wifey's got a Gen1 1.8 GLX Mondeo. Only cost us about £1000. It's probably the BEST car we've ever had (for the money )

Good comfort/toys, handling, and performance (considering it's a 1.8)

Now got 105K on the clock and running like a train.

Well impressed.

Dan
Old 20 March 2006, 11:15 AM
Rabid
BANNED

I remember reading a review of the current Mondeo in Autocar that said 'has better steering than a current (then 996)911'.

Probably overtstating it somewhat but I was impressed with the Mondeos I had on short term hire. Found the 130TDCi a bit nose heavy compared to the 2.0 petrol as you'd expect though. Also a weird clutch and brake pedal action on the diesel.
Old 20 March 2006, 01:45 PM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

I've said this before but I think that Ford make the best value cars on the market for keen drivers. Quality, reliability, handling, practicality, comfort, dealer back-up, performance (relative to the competition) and all at a price most people can afford. I wouldn't buy a new one but I reckon a 5-6K Mondeo (circa 2001 / 2002) is one of the best value buys around today.

People always talk about the savage depreciation from new and this is true, but it is also true that private buyers won't pay anthing close to list price for a Ford. You can buy a brand new mondeo TDCi 130 Zetec for 12.5K from one of the car supermarkets. This same car has a recommended OTR price of 18.3K.

I previously owned a 6 year old mondeo 2.0 petrol. Covered 30K miles and only had to replace consumable items like tyres, back box and brake pads. Sold it with 100K on the clock and it still ran really sweetly and never used any oil.

Fords these days are much better than in the 80's and deserve to sell in large numbers in my opinion.

All the best.

Martin.
Old 20 March 2006, 05:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
Also a weird clutch and brake pedal action on the diesel.
All the Mondeo's have the same hydraulic clutch but the diesels have a dual mass flywheel, not noticed much difference myself but only driven a Mk3 petrol once.
As for the brakes older Mondeo Mk3's came with standard brakes or brakes equipped with the EBA servo, all Mondeo's now have EBA but the ESP cars come with an electronic version. Mondeo's with the EBA servo have a very firm pedal feel when braking lightly which can take some getting used to if your used to a lot of servo assistance like the VAG cars seem to have.

Cheers
Lee
Old 20 March 2006, 05:13 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
I used to own a classic scoob (Driven a few bug and blob eye) but currently have a 2005 Mondeo TDCi130, six speed, Ghia. Minor mechanical problems aside the Mondeo has been excellent and after 35k miles the Mondeo doesn't have a single rattle or squeek.

Cheers
Lee
I have a 52 plate Mondeo TDCi, 5 speed box with just over 94k on the clock and it still doesn't rattle or squeek!
Only thing that's been replaced was the fuel rail at about 85k which cost a couple of hundred quid, really good quality cars
Old 20 March 2006, 08:28 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your findings are similar to my own John
Old 21 March 2006, 08:14 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have driven new focus and fiesta and have to agree that they both felt very composed. Esp fiesta on limit of its grip. KA didn´t feel so great.
Have yet todrive mondeo . so interesting reading
Cheers
Steve
Old 21 March 2006, 11:28 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

Funny thing with the Mondeos is that the more basic they are, the better they are to drive. For me, engines aside, the ST220 was the worst of the bunch as a driving experience.

But the bog standard ones have really great steering and a nice chassis that soaks up everything. Massive interior too. The TDCi 130 is probably the one to get if you can put up with the sloppy power delivery!

Here's my old one:
http://www.forddesktops.com/show.asp...ST220_Rear.jpg

The car that will really blow you away is the New Focus. It's composure over any surface is simply staggering. The interior is nearly at Golf level. The steering is nearly as good as the Mk1 too. Shame it looks so bland.
Old 22 March 2006, 08:46 AM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
Mine feels like it's going to fall over every time you turn the steering wheel. And it's as twitchy as you like, especially during high speed cornering!
Old 22 March 2006, 07:37 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billgtt
Mine feels like it's going to fall over every time you turn the steering wheel. And it's as twitchy as you like, especially during high speed cornering!
Probably has worn suspension and shot bushes by now

Cheers
Lee
Old 22 March 2006, 10:10 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Probably has worn suspension and shot bushes by now

Cheers
Lee
Could well be but it's only done 75k, which isn't MASSIVE milage!

Maybe the fact that i'm not used to a car with that much body roll has a part to play. Been driving a gtt on coilovers every day for 6 years
Old 23 March 2006, 05:18 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billgtt
Could well be but it's only done 75k, which isn't MASSIVE milage!

Maybe the fact that i'm not used to a car with that much body roll has a part to play. Been driving a gtt on coilovers every day for 6 years
Lower arm bushes going is a common fault with the Mk1 but are cheap to replace. I had a Mk1 years ago and had them replaced at 40k miles.
My Alfa 156 wishbone bushes only lasted 20k miles, roads round here are crap.

Cheers
Lee
Old 23 March 2006, 08:36 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The mark1s were also sensitive to being kerbed, it knocks the front subframe out of whack on the bushes IIRC
Old 23 March 2006, 08:49 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Try the ST TDCi they are a fantastic drive and when fitted with the bluefin they are nearly 200 bhp and 320lb/ft of torque
Old 23 March 2006, 09:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I had a mk1 for a while as a curtosy car (about a month actually) and thought it handled like a boat. Dad liked it though
Old 23 March 2006, 09:21 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brickboy

The odd thing was, it did that trick of being "safe" for the Sunday drivers -- mild understeer and benign feedback when you were going at pottering speeds -- but when you started pushing it, the understeer disappeared and the steering really sharpened up, and it was incredibly accurate through corners.

I caned that car mercilessly for 3 years and nothing ever went wrong.
You're absolutely spot on there - borrowed one of our sales reps' mk1 Mondeo a good few years back and took it 'briskly' along a very demanding road around Salisbury Plain. The balance, composure and accuracy was streets ahead of the competition of the time (circa 96) and would show many more modern rivals how it should be done for sure.
Old 23 March 2006, 09:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidChief
The car that will really blow you away is the New Focus. It's composure over any surface is simply staggering. The interior is nearly at Golf level. The steering is nearly as good as the Mk1 too. Shame it looks so bland.
I never really rated the steering on the Mk1 Focus. Agree it handled really nicely, good balance etc, but didn't think the steering feel was noticably better than the equivalent age Vectra (although the chassis, turn in etc were far superior in the Focus).

However, that's not to belittle the new Focus. Seriously contemplating the idea of a new ST or Astra VXR when I replace the scoob.
Old 23 March 2006, 09:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last car (and only) car I crashed was a 2.0 Focus about 6 years ago. It crashed rather well as I rolled it through a brick wall at about 50 mph.
Old 23 March 2006, 10:09 PM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

I have a 2.2TDCi ST (along with Sub and assorted bikes) and I'm so impressed with the 'Black Brick'. It eats front tires and has gone through its first set of fronts in 9.5k. Handles very well. Not at all an understeering horror.
However the real reason for purchase was that the standard Sony sound system is Pod ready and sounds excellent. It has however proved to be a great Company Car (so far). Nothing has fallen off and it is abused daily
Press on and it will still deliver 39mpg. Drive like a saint and over 50 can be yours.

http://nickjdavies.fotopic.net/c126661.html

Last edited by zxr750Nick; 23 March 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 23 March 2006, 10:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Looks pretty smart, but what would the neighbours say with a Ford on the drive

Quick Reply: Impressed by Mondeo