Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

996 TT test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 02:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 TT test drive

Always wanted to try one of these, today I did.

Exterior looks we all know about, doesn't look as flash in the flesh as I feared.

Interior of typical German quality, but not Lexus standards IMHO. Very limited luggage space. Spec not overly generous. The odd rattle here and there.

Refinement - not as good as a typical saloon car, but acceptable, ride ditto. Interesting sensation of rear engine in terms of the noise.

Brakes fantastic feel and performance. Body roll well controlled, vertical body control felt good as well although the roads were not terribly undulating and it wasn't my car

Steering - felt a little on the slow side, but it isn't supposed to be a track car. Turn in was good, not stunning.

Clutch was fine. Gearbox a little loose on the change, not astonishing either way.

Throttle response quite good, but felt a bit lazy after after a NA car, but good for a turbo car.

Turbo spool up was reasonable at between 2500 and 3000, but comes in quite smoothly. There is a good sensation of torque, and an honest build of power all the way up that keeps you interested. The gearing felt well matched to the engine. Traction was fantastic even in the wet, completely hooked up.

Overall, a nice car. In standard non-X50 form the power wouldn't keep me interested for long I don't think if I couldn't modify it.

It may be controversial to say, but an Evo IX with induction, exhaust, fuel pump, remap and brake upgrade would match its every move I think except torque below 2500 RPM. I think the Evo would be more fun to drive hard.

What I can say is that after a heavily modded Scooby it isn't the complete performance answer I'm afraid in standard form.

As a car to modify it would I think be incredible, but the costs would be as well.
Old 08 March 2006, 02:20 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

You must be a hard man to please Mr Banks!
Old 08 March 2006, 03:01 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
You must be a hard man to please Mr Banks!
That is what i was thinking ! have you considered a 996 instead ?
Old 08 March 2006, 04:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by john banks
Always wanted to try one of these, today I did.

Exterior looks we all know about, doesn't look as flash in the flesh as I feared.

Interior of typical German quality, but not Lexus standards IMHO. Very limited luggage space. Spec not overly generous. The odd rattle here and there.

Refinement - not as good as a typical saloon car, but acceptable, ride ditto. Interesting sensation of rear engine in terms of the noise.

Brakes fantastic feel and performance. Body roll well controlled, vertical body control felt good as well although the roads were not terribly undulating and it wasn't my car

Steering - felt a little on the slow side, but it isn't supposed to be a track car. Turn in was good, not stunning.

Clutch was fine. Gearbox a little loose on the change, not astonishing either way.

Throttle response quite good, but felt a bit lazy after after a NA car, but good for a turbo car.

Turbo spool up was reasonable at between 2500 and 3000, but comes in quite smoothly. There is a good sensation of torque, and an honest build of power all the way up that keeps you interested. The gearing felt well matched to the engine. Traction was fantastic even in the wet, completely hooked up.

Overall, a nice car. In standard non-X50 form the power wouldn't keep me interested for long I don't think if I couldn't modify it.

It may be controversial to say, but an Evo IX with induction, exhaust, fuel pump, remap and brake upgrade would match its every move I think except torque below 2500 RPM. I think the Evo would be more fun to drive hard.

What I can say is that after a heavily modded Scooby it isn't the complete performance answer I'm afraid in standard form.

As a car to modify it would I think be incredible, but the costs would be as well.
Thank god for that!!! I'm glad you were somewhat underwhelmed by it aswell. I thought I was going mad
Old 08 March 2006, 05:25 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

JB posting from T-uk's machine...

So how does the RS4 compare to the 996TT?
Old 08 March 2006, 05:29 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

John, good review. I had 2 turbo's (tiptronic & manual) the X50 does make a differance, but there was also something missing from the driving experiance. It looks like you found that aswell

Maybe the 997 Turbo will give you a better feel, but for me the 996 GT3 RS is where the action is.
Old 08 March 2006, 06:17 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

John, I still reckon the Evo 9 is 'where it's at' for you! You know full well what a bit of tuning does power wise or does the image put you off.

From your scoob days it's obvious you want to play with your car and IMO an Evo 9 will have a lot of potential for you to keep interested and it'll be a much more reliable base than a classic Impreza when knocking out circa 400
Old 08 March 2006, 06:23 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Id get an 8 instead of 9 and save the money for tuning. Near enough sme motor apart from Mivec.

But then again your rich so Evo 9 wouldnt hurt your pockets.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

John, personally I preferred the RS4 and think its a much better deal. For the price of a 4 year old tt you get a brand new, warrantied ,420BHP na, 4wd,4door, big booted, non jealousy provoking car. £ for £ its a much better car.

The fact that the RS4 impressed me and the tt didn't may have something to do with expectatations. I was expecting nirvana from the tt and not much from the RS4
I don't think it will be your cup of tea because I reckon you love a massive turbo kick up ya bum and the fun of tuning. The RS4 offers neither!

Just to add, out of all the cars I've driven over the last 18 months ie TVR Sagaris, Nobles, M3, M3 CSL, 996tt, 997S, and the list goes on the RS4 and 997s are right at the top for ticking all the boxes

Last edited by Deep Singh; 08 March 2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Image of the Evo I would prefer to the Porsche in a lot of ways. Would be nice to try the RS4 though.
Old 08 March 2006, 10:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

[QUOTE=john banks]Image of the Evo I would prefer to the Porsche in a lot of ways.

Inverted snobbery?
Old 08 March 2006, 10:45 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Try and get a drive in a 997 Turbo, that looks very interesting.

Or, how about one of the modded 997's? Gembella (sp?), Ruf, etc

Old 08 March 2006, 10:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Deep, I am on the verge of seeing if anyone on the MLR wants a swap

Otherwise I get majorly bent over a table on trade in prices as I'm going the wrong way in terms of value, and really I'd like a JDM car.

Last edited by john banks; 08 March 2006 at 11:04 PM.