Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone out there own a range rover?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 02:31 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone out there own a range rover?

am playing with the idea of getting a range rover to replace the scooby. have driven a few large luxury cars lately and like the idea of some lazy driving. i'd be looking at a 4.6, preferably a vogue on about an x plate.

only thing that's putting me off is the fuel consumption. ok so it'd be replacing the scooby and that's not great for mpg. currently getting 18mpg on average.

so anyone out there that's got one and what sort of mpg do you get and what to look for if i do go mad and go out to buy one?

cheers,

matt.
Old 22 February 2006, 03:20 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chat with Nevetas.

He used to own one with an LPG conversion before he went onto bigger and better things
Old 22 February 2006, 03:32 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

My boss has a 06 Land Rover Sport & his wife a 04 Land Rover Vogue SE - they are county bumpkins though - live on a farm & do take them off road on shoots & stalks quite regurarly

I dont see the appeal of owning one unless your into that sort of thing!!

Last edited by Colinj; 22 February 2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 22 February 2006, 03:46 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

cheers addidas will give him a shout.

colinj - must admit i'm not into shoots or stalks but could be tempted to try some off roading if i had one. i've never been into big lazy automatics before but have driven a few recently and all i can say is i must be getting old. the appeal of flying round all over the place is loosing out to raw v8 laziness.
Old 22 February 2006, 05:33 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

4.6 - known for engine problems hence why so many are advertised with comments like "New engine at 60K". Land Rover grew the 3.5 to 3.9, then to 4.0, then to 4.6, and had over heat issues. Should of left it at 3.9.

I think everyone goes through wanting a Range Rover, just like my brother and I did. But, if you research you will see that they are totally unreliable, and the diesels ( the non bmw one's ) are ****e.

Best save your money or buy either a Landcruisers or Pajero. German or Jap, rest is crap matey.
Old 22 February 2006, 06:29 PM
Colinj
Scooby Regular

Have to add the older of the 2 they own has been in for repair quite a few times, think it was suspension & electric problems, the sports only a few months old so nothing wrong with it so far...
Old 22 February 2006, 08:21 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Normally get around 18 from my 4.6 (including a bit of trailer work). As mentioned, reliability is a bit weak! With that many electrical bits, you are lucky to get all of them working at the same time!

Wrote one off (rolled down the road and hit a couple of trees), car totaled, but only one slight scar on shoulder (where it rubbed on road through window as went over). The way it looked after me helped persuade me to buy another! I did consider a LandCruiser, but afraid I'd rather spend an hour sat in the Range Rover waiting for the recovery truck than half an hour driving in the Cruiser (only my opinion, but just didn't like it)!

That said, every time it plays up my first reaction is "should have brought the cruiser"!

Neil
Old 22 February 2006, 08:26 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I like the feel of a range rover, but they are cumbersome and cannot be rushed, and you need very deep pockets.
Old 22 February 2006, 08:40 PM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

My wife has a P38 Range Rover. It has the BMW 2.5TD 6 pot lump. Bit underpowered, but does 22mpg with lots of short trips and higher 20s on a longer run. It is an Autobiography model so has all the toys and looks like a pimp mobile

Obviously very different from the Scoob to drive. You feel very 'regal' in it floating along sitting in a leather clad armchair stuck in Drive with the cruise control on

Agree with Andy M3 - they cannot be rushed.....but that ain't the point of them.

Chris
Old 22 February 2006, 11:02 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

i like the sound of them not wanting to be rushed. that's what i'm after. feel like something lazy compared to the scooby.

reliability puts me off though. and i think i'll give the 4.6 a miss then. 4.0 sounds like a better option if i did go the range rover route.

other option was a big v8 merc. e430 maybe. any thoughts on those? i drove an e55 amg a few weeks back. everything i want from my next car but the the insurance is more than the scooby!!!
Old 23 February 2006, 09:06 AM
Dales2
Scooby Regular

The new shape one is streets ahead. Boss at work is currently selling his 3.0d auto for £23k with 75k miles on it (53 plate). I've driven it a lot and the luxury auto barge thing has definitely grown on me as a result. Somehow they have made it sound like an old Rover V8 under acceleration too.
Old 23 February 2006, 01:26 PM
ImprezaRob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
am playing with the idea of getting a range rover to replace the scooby. have driven a few large luxury cars lately and like the idea of some lazy driving. i'd be looking at a 4.6, preferably a vogue on about an x plate.

only thing that's putting me off is the fuel consumption. ok so it'd be replacing the scooby and that's not great for mpg. currently getting 18mpg on average.

so anyone out there that's got one and what sort of mpg do you get and what to look for if i do go mad and go out to buy one?

cheers,

matt.
My housemate owns a 4.6 HSE. He averages 14mpg... thats with normal driving!
Old 23 February 2006, 01:45 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

New shape I don't know but old one is crap. Un-econimical very tight for space inside unreliable and generally rubbish. To be honest an X5 is a much better bet. A 4.4 V8 can be had for 16-17k with TV/Phone/leather/satnav
etc. They get 20mpg easily are much more reliable and if you change the tyres from the michelins to ones better suited to off road they are good enough on the rough stuff as well. Mine is a 51 plate for sale at 16k with all the toys FBMWSH new tyres and is mint.
Old 23 February 2006, 04:11 PM
Sadgrandad
Scooby Regular

Sorry didn't read the whole thread, but i have a P reg 4.6 HSE, (Up for grabs with px available for a cheap scoob! Lol) and i get about 18mpg unless on sport mode for a while, and figure if ur using super unleaded in a scoob with octane booster, and a 4.6hse uses unleaded...ur pretty much even if not better off in the RR.
Jon
Old 23 February 2006, 04:16 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
very tight for space inside
You what? They're massive (not quite as much leg room in the back as my LWB S-class, but not much else that beats it) regularly does long trips 4/5 up with no complaints (tho have to admit I'm driving so sat in front)
Old 23 February 2006, 11:46 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

For a car that size I found it cramped in the drivers seat and there was hardley any room in the back. I had one and sold it after 1 month.
Old 24 February 2006, 12:09 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

had a 4.6HSE and loved it! I only got around 14MPG, but then part of my start routine after turning the key was to press the "sport" button. One of the best ways to get from A to B when not in too much of a hurry.

Had lots go wrong with mine but was all fixed under warrenty so did not care too much.
Old 24 February 2006, 10:36 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

must admit the various mentions of things going wrong is starting to put me off. are they a case of things going wrong like you get with the scoobies? i can handle that as i'm used to paying out for the scooby.

has any got any views on the discovery?
Old 24 February 2006, 10:55 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Discovery ? Just as bad. A friends dad is an AA patrolman and if you were to ask him about Discovery's, like I did, he would tell you how many break downs he has to go to for them.

Obviously the new ones are better, but again, steer clear.

I was in the same position you were a while ago, looking for a 4x4, thinking range rover / land rover, but after a lot of research, forum checking, and asking people who had them, you soon realise that German ? Jap, rest is crap.

At the end of the day, you want something high up, rugged, macho, reliable, average on fuel. Although Range rover / Land Rover have most of those qualites, they are just so unreliable its untrue.

Landcruiser baby, thats the way to go. Mind you, Ive got a pajero, which isnt that bad.

SBK
Old 24 February 2006, 03:59 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Land Rover Discovery SII 1999 V8 ES7 auto - absolutely brilliant! - as long as you don't do too many miles per year...

I love mine - I really cannot decide which I like best my Scoob or my Disco or my Kwacker ZX10...

There is an absolute miriad of electronic wizardry on board - Shoguns never get problems with their 'active cornering enhancement' - cos they don't have it or with their air-susension -cos they don't have that either - tey don't have the cool twin rear seats and remote audio connectors for 3rd row passengers either (I'm guessing here actually ) Anyway don't listen to the naysayers - there is a huge and thriving community of Land Rover enthusiasts and Discovery owners tend to be pretty friendly and a lot of familly owners - due to 7 seat option probably. (I would love to have the new V8 with 290 bhp )

Having said that most 4x4 owners are friendly with other 4x4 owners - a bit like having a Scoob in that sense...

Try Discovery Owners Club for more info www.discoveryownersclub.org or another helpful and friendly site is www.mud-club.com - all makes catered for...

Cheers

Mick