Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone owned a MkIV Golf V5 (2.3L)?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2006, 01:46 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone owned a MkIV Golf V5 (2.3L)?

Toying with the idea of buying one to replace my Scooby when it goes on friday, drove one yesterday and it was really nice. May be a bit thirsty for me though, unless 35mpg is possible from one.

Has anyone owned one and got anything good/bad to say about them?
Old 15 February 2006, 02:01 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I considered one prior to buying a Golf GT TDI PD150 and decided against it.

I've heard some horror stories about the V5 engine, especially if you are buying out of warranty.

Fuel consumption is circa 26-30mpg I believe, so maybe about 3-4 mpg more than a WRX, but much less fun.

Have you considered a TDI 130 or 150?

The 150 has more torque than a WRX and is a cracking car to drive, truly rapid for an oil burner and has scalped many a hot hatch driver who sees the black smoke and tries to "smoke" you!
Old 15 February 2006, 02:06 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had a SEAT Toledo V5 some time ago (same motor) and it is a nice engine but one thing it isn't is economical, it sounds great on full chat though. If your going to get one make sure its the V5 170hp. 20v as opposed to 10v, 20hp more and slightly better economy. You can tell the higher power cars as they have red badges for the V5 bit on the engine and boot. Most I ever got out of mine was 27mpg...
Old 15 February 2006, 02:23 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I think it was the 170bhp version I drove yesterday, it had red badges and was a 2001 car. I think (could be wrong) that the 150bhp versions were only sold up to 1999? The one I looked at had warranty which can be extended after 1yr, pretty reassuring.

Hmmm, I could probably live with that sort of mpg as I don't do huge mileage. I mainly liked it because it was so smooth and quiet to drive, though obviously has a lot less power than my old STI5 with Tek3.

I'd love a GT TDI but sadly the budget won't stretch that far.

Cheers folks.

Edit: I had a Fabia vRS before actually which had the PD130 engine, very nice car (and lovely engine) but a little small.

Last edited by Iwan; 15 February 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 15 February 2006, 02:27 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The wife and I test drove the V5 (the more powerful one) and the 1.8T GTI (150) back to back.

The performance is very similar but handling wise the V5 is very nose heavy compared to the GTI (although neither are exactly leaders in their field).

The V5 is returns less MPG than the GTI. You get more toys in the V5 as standard.

You can always up the power with the GTI too. The wife chose the GTI over the V5, but TBH although I think we made the right choice - the main reason was that we could'nt find a black V5 with the sports suspension

If you want the NA power delivery the V5 is a good car, nice gruff engine note
Old 15 February 2006, 02:39 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I looked at a couple of GTI's and they looked lovely but tbh I'd like to get away from turbo's, bucket seats, and worring about performance and handling on the limit. I'm really looking for a more "boring" car that's cheaper to run than a scoob, but still has a decent level of trim and is comfortable on longer trips with passengers, i.e. a bit quieter and with slightly softer suspension.

Have looked at Polo's and lower specced Golfs, they were nice but the V5 is the nicest I've looked at so far.
Old 15 February 2006, 02:49 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Iwan, there are two types of Gti, the 1.8T and the 2.0 NA. I'm sure someone will tell you what the differences are.

TBH if you could live with a turbo car, I'd look at the Leon Cupra Sport, the normal 180bhp version, more car for less money. You only have to worry about performance and handling on the limit if you track it. I had one for a <cough> few months and it was very capable.
Old 15 February 2006, 02:55 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Ello Matt.

Yeah I know about both types of GTI and the differences between them, I've had a look at both types this week.

I'm really not after anything sports orientated this time though, I have no interest in doing trackdays or hooning around etc. Just after something nice, comfortable, and cheaper to run compared to scoobys so I can save money for a house. I'd consider a 2.0 GTI as it's the softer and less sporty of the two, but the V5 I mainly liked for the level of trim/equipment, and the smoothness/quietness of the engine. Even though it's not especially economical.
Old 15 February 2006, 03:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The 1.8t GTI has a small turbo and has a very smooth delivery. Its a very well refined GTI, hardly worthy of the badge TBH. getting 35+ mpg on a motorway run its harldy a fuel drinking fire breathing monster Worth a test drive to see for yourself. Edit, oh i see you already have

Last edited by Jay m A; 15 February 2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 15 February 2006, 06:00 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

A guy at work bought a V5 brand new.

He was very disappointed with it.

But i think that was due to speed/power so if your only after a V5 for trim and equipment then it may be fine.
Old 21 February 2006, 07:46 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of the advice/comments.

I sold my STI5 Type R yesterday to its happy new owner, so I then immediately put a deposit down on a 2002 Golf V5 at a local dealers - picking it up on friday.

Old 21 February 2006, 08:46 AM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Hi Iwan

I think you have made a good choice with the V5.

Bought one (2001 170hp) a while back for the wife to cart the baby around and its been a cracking car.....grunty, smooth,loads of space, lots of spec and absolutely no problems!!!!!

The only thing i didn't like was the soft springs and the amount of body roll, which was soon sorted fitting suspension from a gti turbo(£25 from ebay!) and is now just right!

Hope you enjoy
Old 21 February 2006, 12:53 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

The wife had a company 03 V5 Bora for 60k miles (went back last week) - superb motor and diddly went wrong. Absolutely at home on high speed runs, she averaged 30mpg whereas I did a bit less. Lovely sound, so smooth and fast enough for most. Tyres lasted >20k no problem, cheap servicing as it is was only looked at every 17-20k miles. Stunning value second hand.
In the right hands it could hustle.
Old 22 February 2006, 12:30 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

residuals of the 1.8T are higher than the V5 as it is the more desirable motor to those seeking to tune it later.

It responds very well to chipping, ask the wife.

Mine has leather and heated seats, three headrests and air con, and is black with the sports suspension.

Is incredibly refined, gets decent mpgs, very quick and yet is scarily easily to drive. It feels like it drives itself. I also agree that a GTi badge is somewhat out of place, even when running nigh onn 200bhp.

It is a great motorway cruiser and well worth a look.
Old 22 February 2006, 12:58 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The garage I bought the V5 from had a 1.8T GTI on their forecourt which had Milltek exhausts and had been extensively remapped. The saleman said it scared the hell out of them when they test drove it as it was so powerful! Thing is I want to get away from the whole modding/tuning scene, so the refinement and smoothness of the V5 is more what I'm looking for.