Mk3 MR2 vs Mk2 Mx5

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 09:27 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk3 MR2 vs Mk2 Mx5

Morning folks,

Thinking about getting a soft top for the summer and the MR2 and MX5 are the two main contenders.

Only problems is that i'm 6ft5 not good when trying to fit into small cars.

Ideally i would love a S2000 but there is no way that I could justify the extra purchase price or running costs.

I realise that both the two cars suggested would be much softer that the S2k but does anybody have any direct experience relating to the two cars i.e. performance/handling comparisons? Also cabin space thoughts would be appreciated to.

A woman at work (cue girls car jokes ) has a 1999 mr2 and I can just about fit in, with the addition of a smaller steering wheel I think I could get on with it quite well.

At the moment I'm using a 96 primera egt and while it is a boring car to look at it is massively underated and is a real hoot to drive. Is it worth the extra outlay to upgrade to the mr2 or mx5 (dependent on space) or should i just wait until i'm in a better position and get the s2k?

thx

Last edited by Big a1; 14 February 2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 14 February 2006, 09:39 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

An MR2 is buy far a better car.

A buddy of mine dug out an old EVO mag which tested them and it raved about the MR2, they finally pitched it against a Boxster.

I came about an inch from buying one.

I still like them and would consider one.

By the way A hayward and Scott system and a Unichip will see it on its way to 160bhp and that in a car that weighs under a ton will make it fly
Old 14 February 2006, 09:42 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
An MR2 is buy far a better car.

A buddy of mine dug out an old EVO mag which tested them and it raved about the MR2, they finally pitched it against a Boxster.

I came about an inch from buying one.

I still like them and would consider one.

By the way A hayward and Scott system and a Unichip will see it on its way to 160bhp and that in a car that weighs under a ton will make it fly
Ok thanks - food for thought
Old 14 February 2006, 11:32 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I'm not as tall as you but i weigh in at 20 stone and i could fit in the MR2 no probs!!!
Old 14 February 2006, 03:58 PM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

Sounds promising then - going to have a look into tuning options and see if I can find any perfomance figures etc.

Anybody else got any views
Old 14 February 2006, 04:01 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big a1
Sounds promising then - going to have a look into tuning options and see if I can find any perfomance figures etc.

Anybody else got any views

try this mate.

http://www.mr2roc.org/
Old 14 February 2006, 04:13 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Just sold my MR-2. I tried the MX-5 when I was looking to buy. I'm 6'1" and about 13st and I found the MX-5 cabin a bit cramped, although some would describe that as snug It drove fine, although I found the MR-2 better planted with sharper turn-in, which was why I bought one.

Try both, buy which one you like the most.

Performance wise, the 7.9 0-60 is somewhat understated, but straight line speed isn't really what it was meant for. Get it on some twisty bends, and you won't give a second thought about the 'lack of' power.

Had mine 2 years and was almost faultless, with the only issue being the alloys bubbling, which is a common fault. Replaced under warranty no questions.
Old 14 February 2006, 04:30 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I loved driving my wife's MX5. Handling was just sublime. A perfect education in how driving can be fun below the speed limit ! (which is all to easily forgotten these days)