Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

WHY are these selling so bloody fast??

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2006, 07:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face WHY are these selling so bloody fast??

I've been looking to replace my MX5 ........ for no other reason than I fancy a Special Edition version.

Been chasing about now for 3 weeks, in rain and freezing weather ..... they have been selling like hot cakes!!??

Found the perfect one, 50 miles away, in a Vauxhall Garage - when I got there it had been sold!! In 1 day!! I had a look around it as it was getting valeted ...... it was EXACTLY what I wanted!! Even when they crop up in a Vauxhall Dealer they are snapped up!!

At a time when you cannot give an Impreza away ..... these cars must be the hottest things on the forecourt

Now, these are brilliant cars ...... in the sun nothing beats them for top down motoring - but, why are they selling so fast? I visited my Mazda Dealer this afternoon to view the secondhand MX5s he had advertised - he has sold 5 out of the 6 in the week!

Anyway I took a barnd new 2.0Litre Sport out for a run ............. excellent!!

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 11 February 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11 February 2006, 07:46 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because Peter, winter is the best time to buy a drop top. Come summer the prices will rocket. People are buying them now, quite wisely before the summer rush for some wind in the hair fun.
Old 11 February 2006, 07:49 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I've been looking to replace my MX5 ........ for no other reason than I fancy a Special Edition version.

Been chasing about now for 3 weeks, in rain and freezing weather ..... they have been selling like hot cakes!!??

Found the perfect one, 50 miles away, in a Vauxhall Garage - when I got there it had been sold!! In 1 day!! I had a look around it as it was getting valeted ...... it was EXACTLY what I wanted!! Even when they crop up in a Vauxhall Dealer they are snapped up!!

At a time when you cannot give an Impreza away ..... these cars must be the hottest things on the forecourt

Now, these are brilliant cars ...... in the sun nothing beats them for top down motoring - but, why are they selling so fast? I visited my Mazda Dealer this afternoon to view the secondhand MX5s he had advertised - he has sold 5 out of the 6 in the week!

Anyway I took a barnd new 2.0Litre Sport out for a run ............. excellent!!

Pete

I will take happily take your impreza if you are giving it away. Besides Pete aren't you a bit old for these wind in the hair frolics.

Regards Maz
Old 11 February 2006, 08:04 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

For Pete it's more like "Wind in the pate"
Old 11 February 2006, 08:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
I will take happily take your impreza if you are giving it away. Besides Pete aren't you a bit old for these wind in the hair frolics.

Regards Maz
My Impreza is the one everyone wants ...... no need to give it away

It's the Modified, thrashed piles of crap Imports that need to be given away

This MX5 thing though - its weird, I like to go to a garage and haggle over a car knowing that there is another down the road .... you can't do it with these MX5s.

If I wanted a Vectra/Mondeo I could hammer down hard on the price and they would be kissing my feet when I expressed an interest ............ not so the MX5

Pete
Old 11 February 2006, 08:09 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The legalisation of gay marriages and buoyancy in the hairdressing industry is causing a strong demand for this type of car.
Old 11 February 2006, 08:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The legalisation of gay marriages and buoyancy in the hairdressing industry is causing a strong demand for this type of car.
Thats a bit weak nowadays ............ everyone but the stupid recognise that these cars are one of the best driving machines today.

Most people who joke about them have never owned one, maybe never even driven one

Pete
Old 11 February 2006, 08:20 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Talking

PMSL
Old 11 February 2006, 09:12 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

I know how you feel Pete.Ive been trying to get my hands on a zx10r but they are very thin on the ground just now
Old 12 February 2006, 01:01 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It has always been the same with MX5's Pete - I tried to trade one for an Almera (yes - I know, but baby had arrived) a few years back. The dealer offered to buy it off me personally for way over book..... so I agreed. Scarey figures - New MX5 in 1992 - 16k - sold it 3 years later for 14k. New Almera in 1995 16k - struggled to sell in in 1998 for 3k wish I had put a baby seat on the bonnet of the MX5
Old 12 February 2006, 09:46 AM
woodmeister
Scooby Regular

The MX5 is a great car, hence it always sells well. Mazda got almost everything about it spot on...
Old 12 February 2006, 11:12 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Yep they are fantastic car's, my dad had one as a second car, but later sold it, and my sister still has one.
I'd love one but i'm too tall at 6ft4.
Highly recommend them though
Old 12 February 2006, 12:44 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Thats a bit weak nowadays ............ everyone but the stupid recognise that these cars are one of the best driving machines today.
You'd have to be pretty stupid to make that statement.

I'm sure MX5's are great at what they do, which is offer cheap wind in the hair thrills whilst making a fair fist of what is meagre performance. But they are not the be all and end all.

I understand the attraction, but I prefer my driving experiences to be a bit more visceral. The shove of acceleration, the chatter of an external wastegate, the race car soundtrack, the turning of heads, the fact I get stopped in the street and asked about my car.

I've seen a couple of new MX5's on the road, and I did think that the last shape was better. The new one is bug eyed for a start, not attractive at all.

I hope you find one for a good price and love every minute, but not everyone loves the same things - some people love their modified pile of crap imports, I know I do. I also know mine will leave an MX5 for dead in every department.
Old 12 February 2006, 01:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

the mx5 seems to be the sunday drivers midlife crissis car, lots of middle aged men polishing them up for a drive out with the top down as they always wanted one when they were younger it was about -2 yesterday and some old bloke was driving around in his with the top down
Old 12 February 2006, 03:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by stevebt
the mx5 seems to be the sunday drivers midlife crissis car, lots of middle aged men polishing them up for a drive out with the top down as they always wanted one when they were younger it was about -2 yesterday and some old bloke was driving around in his with the top down
Oi! Cheeky Tw@t I am neither middle aged, nor suffering from any crisis

I drive MrsD's with the roof off all the time if the weather is dry, regardless of outside temperatures It's perfectly feasible, because like all japanese cars it has a furnace, rather than a heater

Muffleman, you've obviously never driven one. A 1.8iS is not that slow (a side effect of weighing **** all), and because it has reasonable, rather than stupid levels of grip the sublime handling is there for you to enjoy at sensible speeds
Old 12 February 2006, 03:36 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I've never been to see a ballet either, but somehow I know it's not for me
Old 12 February 2006, 03:54 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Hmmm... an MX5? What would I wear on the other foot?
Old 12 February 2006, 04:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

So are you not allowed fun past thirty ?
Old 12 February 2006, 05:12 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Yep they are fantastic car's, my dad had one as a second car, but later sold it, and my sister still has one.
I'd love one but i'm too tall at 6ft4.
Highly recommend them though
I fit in both the Mk1 and Mk2 MX5's (Just bought a MK2 1.8iS) and I'm 6ft 6.. I'm not saying it's the most spacious car but you might fit!

Hope the theory about prices holding strong proves correct!
Old 12 February 2006, 06:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Trouble is, if you are too big in a dinky car it looks odd, kind of like this.

Old 12 February 2006, 06:19 PM
p1ggm
Scooby Regular

mx5 is a great car, i would get rid of the scoob for one

go for the 1.8 version, then get iteither turboed or charged for some good power and even in standard form you are hard pushed to find a car that will always make you smile
Old 12 February 2006, 06:27 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend has just put her Anniversary Edition up for sale in the local newspaper on Friday.

Previously, we've already had an MX5 private dealer ring us 3 times about the car, upping his price each time, but we'd rather sell privately for a better price.

They are cracking cars and this one hasn't given us ANY bother at all.
Old 12 February 2006, 08:00 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Pete
I have just come back from taking my mates mx-5 out for a spin. Poring with rain and I haven’t had so much fun in a car. I have owned driven an shed load of cars over the past 15 years and it was easily the easiest to get sideways and hold it. Round a roundabout 4 times tail out in total control after 5 mins of driving it. (easy done in the wet at 20mph!!)

Steering surprisingly heavy (wheel too big) But nice on the brakes a great gear change ok for heal toe (accelerator slightly too low!!)

I can see why every magazine and road tester raves about the car, it must be the best handling car of all time.

I would think after owning one for a year your driving skills would be improved immeasurably.

Lucky I got a shot he’s selling it due to imminent arrival of a baby, I thought I had better have a drive before it goes.

They seem to hold their price very well, my neighbour also owns one and was looking to trade in for a new one. Garage offered him £5,500 for a v plate as a trade in, privately they go for closer to £7k.

Old 12 February 2006, 08:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm suprised Mazda didn't product place it in Brokeback Mountain....

ONLY JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 February 2006, 10:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Taken out a Brand New 2.0 Litre Sport .........................

Bloody hell absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

I left the Mazda Dealer my keys - to my 11 year old MX5 - as he asked for them.

I got back and said that it was GREAT!!! Sadly, as I only do 2000miles a year in the fun car, I really couldn't justify a new one

Anyway, he said something amazing ............ "Sir, I hope you don't mind, but we had a little look over your MX5 while you were out - it is in simply stunning condition ... we had 2 people come in off the street and ask how much it was" Bloody Hell I did park it at the front like a car for sale

He will do some ringing around tomorrow and get a price for me .... he cannot offer it for sale as it's too old for a Main Dealer - but he knows people in the trade who would fight to get their hands on it!!

No good if I can't find a replacement, however, and thats the problem - the cracking ones get sold straight away!!

AND ITS STILL WINTER!!!!! Doesn't make sense!!

Pete
Old 12 February 2006, 10:49 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

AND ITS STILL WINTER!!!!! Doesn't make sense!!

It does.... all the OAP's are squandering their winter fuel allowance on living the high life. (While they can )

D
Old 12 February 2006, 11:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
It does.... all the OAP's are squandering their winter fuel allowance on living the high life. (While they can )

D
We are the ones laughing ....................... we are the ones who know whats what and are out enjoying some great open top motoring

You, on the other hand are ............................. doing what, exactly??

Pete
Old 12 February 2006, 11:29 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

There is a forecourt near me that has hundreds of these things near me, tis all they sell i believe
Old 12 February 2006, 11:45 PM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

because hairdressing has become fashionable again!
Old 13 February 2006, 06:37 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

We are the ones laughing ....................... we are the ones who know whats what and are out enjoying some great open top motoring

You, on the other hand are ............................. doing what, exactly??

Pete
Driving my 90 year old mother's MR2 without having to pick up the running costs.........everyone's a winner !

D

Quick Reply: WHY are these selling so bloody fast??