Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

new mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 02:06 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new mini cooper

any 1 got one?any little faults i should look for ?girlfriend buying one .its a 52 plate 1.6 cooper ,panoramic roof,for 9k. any thoughts on these?no horror stories?(i hope)
Old 02 February 2006, 03:02 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

My mum just bought a bright orange cooper cabriolet. Seems very nice to drive...not particuarly fast, but then again, that's not the point really. It feels well built, and the interior is funky.
Old 02 February 2006, 03:09 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

G/F's got a nine month old Cooper S. Fun car to drive. Only downsides are a tiny boot and all manner of squeaks from the dashboard (there's an awful lot of brittle plastic mouldings rubbing up next to each other).
Old 02 February 2006, 03:57 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

I had a MCS for a while and encountered the following, so:

Check for the steering creak. Turn the wheel at low speeds completely one way then the other then back again. Should be smooth with no tiny bump felt duing turning. Ask the dealer did the car ever have the early column replaced due to the dodgy bearings (plastic iirc?) failing in older MINI's.

Panoramic roof rattles, check for any rattles at the frontmost section of the panoramic roof. Can be fixed using velcro, but still VERY (that's V E R Y) annoying.

Check the radiator side tanks, my GF has a MC '52 and her radiator side tank split. They're made of plastic with a metal core. Replaced under warranty.

Also check for flat spots throughout the rev range and stalling from junctions. The ECU software has been revised several times.

Check for door rattles from the little red reflectors on the interior door panel (top left of). Check to see of the foam is still in the two black vents in the scuttle panel. If so, get them changed for the new all-plastic type.

Check that the boot micro switch works properly, test it several times open-shut-open-shut. Get it changed if needs be, they screw up a lot. If leather, check for marks, it seems to be very soft stuff.

Headlights not brilliant, eat more carrots.

On a positive note, it's a fun car to drive round town. Feels nippy and squeezes into little gaps. Cooper best in town, Cooper S best on more open road. The handling is terrific. Only downside when driving IMO is other drivers with the "it's only a mini get out the way" mentality. Get used to being cut up and it'll be fine. My GF loves hers and has had it for a while . I was glad to see the back of my MCS when I picked up my '03 WRX . But I still nick the girlfriends car to nip out for bits and bobs in the town

Hope that helps a bit...
Nige.
Old 02 February 2006, 03:58 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Oh, fogot to add for you to check out www.mini2.com
Excellent site jam packed with info.
Old 02 February 2006, 04:23 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

I've got a mini, bought it brand new last august and I think its a fab car!!
I've not any problems with mine except a rattle on the dash board, took the car back though to the garage and they sorted it out straight away!! There great cars, well built and loads of fun to drive! Not the fastest car in the world but nippy. I'm really happy with mine and would reccommend a mini to anyone!

Carla..
Old 02 February 2006, 04:27 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Also they offer 5 years free servicing on mini's!! Think that shows how well built they are, not many things must go wrong with them, I assume!?

Carla..