206 GTi

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2005, 05:42 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 206 GTi

Hello All,

i'm thinking of buying one of these as a daily driver. at the moment i have a 54 plate 307s (4 door, 1.6 etc etc).

Good deal at the dealership, just wondering if you lot can give me your thoughts?

i'm in 2 minds....
Old 09 October 2005, 09:19 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Shabby!
Had the 180, never again,
rather revy though witch was nice,
Old 09 October 2005, 09:51 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

rubbish car!
Old 09 October 2005, 09:53 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

many people slag them off as 'warm hatches'. My dad had the 206 GTi (137bhp) for 2 years. The car was actually quite good, except for the driving position.

He now has a 206 GTi 180, this is a much better car. Driving position is improved, engine has more power.....my MY00 UK turbo would struggle to keep it at bay once rolling. Impressed with the car, more capable than some magazines have given it credit for. Read Clarksons review.

The only downside.....dodgy french electrics!

M
Old 09 October 2005, 09:56 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

hopefully my info has helped more than the very informative "rubbish" comments above
Old 09 October 2005, 10:03 PM
ChrisB

I had a W plate from new for 12 months (and 12k miles). It was reliable - the only thing I had fixed was the tilt mech' in the pax seat. Didn't have a problem with the seat or pedal position, even with my size 10/11s.

I guess it depends what you are looking far.

I have wanted to have a play with the non-180 version in my Ibiza TDi to see how they compare.
Old 09 October 2005, 10:10 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

YOUR DAD.

hardley a personal experiance, though I wont rubbish your personal opinions.

Originally Posted by mr flibble
hopefully my info has helped more than the very informative "rubbish" comments above
Old 10 October 2005, 09:38 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

OK - it was rubbish:

pedals are crap
seating position is crap
engine is dull and lifeless
handling leaves alot to be desired

That better? I'll stick to my 205
Old 10 October 2005, 01:22 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

My mate has the 130 model. Very poor build and dull to drive. All IMO, obviously.
Old 10 October 2005, 07:24 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I don't rate it as a performance car either I'm afraid. Engine and gearbox don't feel matched at all, controls are far too light, steering lacks feedback, all in all not very good.
To be fair to the 2 hot hatches I've driven back to back with it were the 306 GTi-6 and Clio Williams, which I regard as the best hot hatches I've driven. There isn't much in it in a straight line, which is a surprise as it does feel a bit gutless, but throw in some corners and a Zetec Focus is in a different league to it. I would suggest it was best suited to motorway use, but the gearing is too short for that, so can only really rate it if you do a lot of driving on 50 limit dual carriageway/motorways. FWIW I have managed to get 55mpg out of one.
Old 10 October 2005, 08:15 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

recopish - it may not be my car but having access and driven both the 137 and 180 bhp versions over 5 years, I think that puts me in a good position to pass along my views to Davie.

Each of us has our experiences and opinions, good or bad, I just thought the comment "rubbish car!" was unhelpful to Davie.

M.
Old 10 October 2005, 08:29 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

I had a 206CC 2.0 (same engine as the GTi) for 14 months and all I can say is worst build quality ever. They can't even get the simple things to work, for example the radio was forever losing the station pre sets.

The paint on the car was terrible in some places and I would honestly have thought it had been resprayed at some point in it's life. I actually met someone who used to be a Peugeot salesman and he said that poor paint quality is a problem on Silver/Moonstone cars. On the post where the drivers door hinges are it looked like there was overspray on the pillar.

Driving down the motorway one day all the warning lights flashed on the dash which was slightly worrying. I was in stop start traffic so just turned off the ignition and restarted the car which caused the lights to go out again. When I mentioned this at the service they couldn't have been less interested and just told me to bring it back if it happened again.

When I came to sell it I left it on the drive for a whole week and then tried to start it before the new owner came to pick it up. The heap of junk wouldn't start, it sounded as if the starter was spinning over but just not engaging with the engine. In the end I had to bump start it down the hill but it still took 4 attempts to start. It would also sometimes be really lumpy once started, as if it was running on 3 cylinders.

Constantly squeeking brakes which can never be fixed is another in the long line of problems with these cars.

There were loads of other problems that I have long since forgotten about but considering this was on a 14 month old car I dread to think what they are like with a few miles under their belt.

I now have an Audi A6 and will only drive German cars from now on. A few months ago I actually had to move my friends 206 for him and it felt even worse than I remembered.
Old 10 October 2005, 11:17 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr flibble
recopish - it may not be my car but having access and driven both the 137 and 180 bhp versions over 5 years, I think that puts me in a good position to pass along my views to Davie.

Each of us has our experiences and opinions, good or bad, I just thought the comment "rubbish car!" was unhelpful to Davie.

M.
Well it is - simple as

And I've quantified it now anyway - are you a happy camper now!!?
Old 11 October 2005, 01:45 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

had one a couple of years back, **** poor car...

get a clio 182 instead...
Old 11 October 2005, 02:10 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

I'm always happy
Old 13 October 2005, 01:15 PM
Dogzyboy
Scooby Regular

I had one a couple of years back. It cost me a fortune to buy, it was like a bag of nails & the performance was dissapointing too. After 18 months I'd had enough & I ended up trading it in for my UK Impreza Turbo. I lost a fortune in that 18 months but the Scooby was well worth it. Sadly, I no longer have my Scoob either...
Old 14 October 2005, 01:27 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

This is the lame duck in the Peugeot hot hatch line up...
Old 14 October 2005, 01:34 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

a few years back i owned a used V plate (138bhp) for about 2 years.

It had its problems...Exhaust went completely after a few months - the car had only done 11000miles at this stage! Peugeot dealership qouted me £800 to sort it. KwikFit did it for £250....then exactly a year later it went again this time changed under warranty.

Passenger footwell used to pool water as well. seats aren't great. Alu gearlever is either freezing in winter or scorching hot in summer (easy to change i guess).

i dont know what sort of money your looking at but im sure that clio would prob be better?
Old 14 October 2005, 01:49 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

Well i've bought it, and so far i like it.

Driving position suits me fine and i'm 6foot 1.

It's resonably quick and feels very positive.

it's early days though, so we'll see how it goes, for those who gave constructive comments, thanks, for those of you who couldn't really care less but had a pop anyway - stroll on.

Davie
Old 14 October 2005, 07:08 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davie
Well i've bought it, and so far i like it.

Driving position suits me fine and i'm 6foot 1.

It's resonably quick and feels very positive.

it's early days though, so we'll see how it goes, for those who gave constructive comments, thanks, for those of you who couldn't really care less but had a pop anyway - stroll on.

Davie
Hope it works out ok. i prob just had a duff one. what colour is it?
Old 14 October 2005, 07:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

LOL! Pretty much every post cained it! Righfully so too! But since you ignored it all I hope you've got a Wednesday car............