Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo IX or 06 STI

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 11:54 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo IX or 06 STI

Was thinking to get rid of my 99 classic and buy one of the above mentioned. What would be the better choice? If I look at the current STI and EVO VIII, it seems that the EVO is slightly cheaper than the STI with DCCD.

Except that the STI has the 6 speed transmission which is maybe an advantage on long highway driving.

Somehow my heart tends to go for he EVO but my head says STI without DCCD but with a Prodrive kit....

Any thoughts? any good reviews of the upcoming Evo IX?? Will it have a 6-speed too?

Thanks,
Ramon
Old 20 August 2005, 12:03 AM
fq400
BANNED

all 8's have a 6 speed and so does the 9
Old 20 August 2005, 12:14 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

all but the evo 260 has 6speed. the 9 has 6 speed and is meant to be the bees nees... but just wait and see the new scoob arrives, see both in the flesh, then decided
Old 20 August 2005, 07:36 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can u get Sti 9 without DCCD ??
Old 20 August 2005, 09:26 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

the 8's over here do NOT have a 6-speed. We do not have the FQ or MR range here in mainland Europe.

The Subaru DCCD is listed as an option at around 2800 Euro whereas the Evo's already have something similar as standard and maybe much easier to use (only 3 settings that everybody understands, no fiddling around trying years to find the best setting).

I'll probably go for the Evo, I just love the looks and it is MUCH more exlusive over here as you see quite a few WRX's and STI's over here but barely any Evo's. Having said that I probably only ever saw 3 Evo's on our streets....

Any good websites with pics of the IX???

Thanks,
Ramon
Old 20 August 2005, 11:35 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Any good websites with pics of the IX???
A few here http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=86524
Old 20 August 2005, 08:21 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

I thought only the EVO VIII 260 (really an EVO VII with cosmetic changes - UK only model?) had 5 gears and all other VIII's had 6 gears. Did mainland Europe never get a proper EVO VIII?
Old 20 August 2005, 09:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been in an Evo 9, very nice car too though i know the scoob has the edge now (wait for the outcry ) and has done for a few years.
You will feel the electronics in the evo more than you will feel the electronics in the scoob, and the seats in the evo are excellent, but the tyres suck, the yoko's cant take a lot of stick whilst the RE070's can
Both cars are excellent though, its just going to be down to preference in the end.

Tony
Old 20 August 2005, 09:41 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

scoobysnacks

No we never got a "proper" EVO over here. The only model currently available is the VIII 5-speed 260. I called up a Mitsubishi dealer this morning and they did not have any idea when the IX will be available.
For the moment I would prefer an STI over the VIII, but if the IX gets 6-speed and with the MIVEC that should be interesting since I do long motorway driving once or twice a week.

If only I knew when it will be released....

Ramon
Old 20 August 2005, 10:10 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Seems the mivec and new turbo gives good low grunt... http://www.evocarl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/9vC.wmv
Old 21 August 2005, 12:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by EvoCarl
Seems the mivec and new turbo gives good low grunt... http://www.evocarl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/9vC.wmv
Yup, would be nice to see the inside of the 9 at the same time, looks like he floored it a little earlier than the impreza rather than good low down grunt (ive been up against one of these and there will always be one that pulls away if one driver gets on the gas first) but if both do, then its going to be pretty even (done this also )

Tony
Old 21 August 2005, 08:37 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

hmm this videos is bizarre. Seems almost like the outcome was planned, why does the Impreza have an onboard camera already angled to the A-pillar, so that everybody can see the EVO pull away.
Old 21 August 2005, 08:50 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Evo only has a 50ltr fuel tank giving it a range of only around 190-200 miles between fill-ups, even less if you rag it, around 120miles, plus they need servicing every 4500 miles.
Old 21 August 2005, 08:59 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The Evo only has a 50ltr fuel tank giving it a range of only around 190-200 miles between fill-ups, even less if you rag it, around 120miles, plus they need servicing every 4500 miles.

IIRC the evo 8 onwards benefits from a larger fuel tank and the 4.5k service is only a change of the diff oil.
The IX does indeed get Mivec and 6 speed. Some members and traders on the MLR have them already.
Old 21 August 2005, 09:24 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alberick
hmm this videos is bizarre. Seems almost like the outcome was planned, why does the Impreza have an onboard camera already angled to the A-pillar, so that everybody can see the EVO pull away.
its from the latest best motoring series.

Have video from other angles

http://www.evocarl.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drag.wmv
Old 21 August 2005, 10:35 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alberick
Was thinking to get rid of my 99 classic and buy one of the above mentioned. What would be the better choice? If I look at the current STI and EVO VIII, it seems that the EVO is slightly cheaper than the STI with DCCD.

Except that the STI has the 6 speed transmission which is maybe an advantage on long highway driving.

Somehow my heart tends to go for he EVO but my head says STI without DCCD but with a Prodrive kit....

Any thoughts? any good reviews of the upcoming Evo IX?? Will it have a 6-speed too?

Thanks,
Ramon
forgot to mention the 9 seems to take to tuning nicely.

Have a gander on MLR as 'evo400' has got the first tuning package available for £1500 fitted for 295hp@wheels
Old 22 August 2005, 01:55 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

But it is ugly as ****
Old 23 August 2005, 08:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crush her
But it is ugly as ****
And the Scoob is no oil painting
Old 23 August 2005, 09:19 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the current STI looks ok, but the MY06 looks horrible, like a Seat with BMW 5 headlights, plus the front & rear somehow do not fit together.

I always thought that the 98/99 models look nicer than the EVO 4,5 and 6 but looks like the tide is turning now.

Anyway I made up my mind I'll go to the "dark side" and get myself an EVO IX.... if only Mitsubishi could come up with a more interesting & modern color choice (black, silver, red, blue and white is not what I call attractive in these times) too bad the dark grey is reserved for MR editions.
Which brings me to my next point, did anybody ever try to order a car in a color other than the ones proposed in the catalogue, example could I order my EVO and asking to get the MR gray color. Would the dealer charge me much more for that?

Ramon
Old 24 August 2005, 08:14 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

The gun metal grey for the MR range on the Evo 8 is not avaliable for the Evo IX.

The colours avaliable are listed in the brochure. As far as I know they are not currently planning an Evo IX MR.
Old 24 August 2005, 09:52 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Yup, that’s correct; I did not find any info yet about the IX coming out as a MR model. It seems that the standard IX GSR model is almost identical to an MR, is that correct?

Usually the metallic paint option costs 333 Euro, according to the EVO VIII brochure I have at home. It is surely possible, at an extra cost, to convince the dealer to get the car in the MR gunmetal gray. After all, the color is already there, it’s not like Mitsubishi would have to invent it first.
Old 24 August 2005, 03:52 PM
Eatpies
Scooby Regular

the IX has evolved slightly over the MR. But yes the IX is closer to the MR then the normal 8 if you get me?
Old 29 August 2005, 08:19 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Yup, basically the IX is a VIII MR.....?

Anyway, still got no news when it will be available in mainland Europe. In the meantime I can only drool at the Mitsubishi UK (or Japan) website...I hate you brits!!! :-)
Old 29 August 2005, 12:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The Evo9 has more alloy body parts than the scoob, boot, bonnet, roof etc, even the spec c still uses a steel roof, though thinned.

Tony