Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Had a test drive of an S3 Wow

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2005, 10:14 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a test drive of an S3 Wow

Had a test drive of an S3 last week, Wow what a car, goes great handles great, and a luxury understated car to boot without any OTT spoilers.

gonna buy one shortly and remap it - hmmmm Amd or Revo????
Old 13 August 2005, 11:05 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Quite cheap to buy as well....£12-15k will get a nice un...
Old 13 August 2005, 11:18 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well the one i drove was a little expensive at nearly 17k but had all the toys and lovely 18" RStt wheels, surprisingly a good ride.

My only gripes was the exaust note was a bit bland the steering was not as direct or had as much feel as a scoob and the power tailed off high up the rev range although a Revo re-map and Milltek exaust shoudl sort that heh heh
Old 13 August 2005, 01:12 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

How does the new A3 with the 3.2L engine compare to the old S3 ?

Was thinking about one of these recently. Mate has the new 2.0L diesel and its lovely.
Old 13 August 2005, 10:02 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Had a test drive of an S3 last week, Wow what a car, goes great handles great, and a luxury understated car to boot without any OTT spoilers.

gonna buy one shortly and remap it - hmmmm Amd or Revo????
AMD is only available at their workshops (I think), whereas the REVO is available all over the country. I went for REVO just in case I had problems, its closer to sort out than a trip from Norwich to Oxford. have heard good things about the guys at AMD though, so if you're near dont be put off.
The car with a remap is transformed, luxury but with a wicked side.

Ref. price, I paid £17k 3 months ago for a Silver 02 plate, 23K miles, chrome mirrors, upgraded Bose sound system and 18" Audi RS4 alloys (a must have item, they look the nuts).

If you're anywhere Norwich, I'll happily take you for a spin in mine
Old 14 August 2005, 09:51 AM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

....there's always an APR chip. My mate had this done on his Cupra R, WOW, what a difference and certainly removed the breathless-ness it had at high revs.

http://goapr.co.uk/store/bin/

To quote their site "produces 262 horsepower and 270 ft. lbs respectively"

Last edited by Spankathon; 14 August 2005 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 14 August 2005, 10:35 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

All in all then by what i've heard off various people that re-mapping it really makes a difference, the one i test drove was a standard 225bhp even that felt fairly quick.
Old 15 August 2005, 09:30 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I am supprised you liked it. They aren't bad cars, very good infact - but a tad lifeless ?? Depends what you are used to though i suppose.
Old 15 August 2005, 09:44 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always fancied one. Had the engine out of one in the front of a Mk2 golf running 290bhp. Pretty nice engine..
Old 15 August 2005, 10:20 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Always fancied one. Had the engine out of one in the front of a Mk2 golf running 290bhp. Pretty nice engine..
lol - home made widdow maker
Old 15 August 2005, 10:33 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I am supprised you liked it. They aren't bad cars, very good infact - but a tad lifeless ?? Depends what you are used to though i suppose.
Obviously was not as quick as something like an M3 but still fairly quick, the thing is everyone who i have spoke to who has had them re-mapped says that it transforms them!
Old 15 August 2005, 10:53 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Obviously was not as quick as something like an M3 but still fairly quick, the thing is everyone who i have spoke to who has had them re-mapped says that it transforms them!
I have to say the only one i have driven has been a stock 210 one - and it was slow[ish] but, the rest of the package felt a bit normal too.

But 260+bhp will as you say transform the car, and i assume the latter ones improved on the rolly polly lark.........
Old 15 August 2005, 11:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I have to say the only one i have driven has been a stock 210 one - and it was slow[ish] but, the rest of the package felt a bit normal too.

But 260+bhp will as you say transform the car, and i assume the latter ones improved on the rolly polly lark.........
I'd say as quick as most Scoobs out there on a run out!!!
Old 15 August 2005, 11:16 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Admittedley steering not as good as a Scoob but, i can live with that what you get is an understated performance car, without all the bells and spoilers that Scoobs have and none of the hairdresser/Bufty boy image of an Audi TT
Old 15 August 2005, 01:31 PM
Gillp95
Scooby Regular

You get your ar$e into gear and treat yourself to one...............Hopefully this one will last more than 6 months !
Old 15 August 2005, 02:31 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gillp95
You get your ar$e into gear and treat yourself to one...............Hopefully this one will last more than 6 months !
Eh mouth!!! shut your ******* gob before i tell everyone on scoobynet you did not get your nephew a birthday present you tight c**t!!!

Last Audi was not fast enough!! 145k on the clock and the belts needed doing oh and a matter of the bloody thing only doing 16mpg!!!

Unfortunatley it was a bit like me - powerful, strong, but not very fast and getting on a bit!! ha ha!

Paul mate i will have one within 4 weeks!
Old 15 August 2005, 06:16 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol - home made widdow maker
lol would kick my STi's butt every day of the week... well if it could get traction
Old 16 August 2005, 09:31 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

We picked up my wife's S3 on saturday - a 51 plate 210 in Dolphin Grey (lovely colour!!).

Very impressed with it, I must say.

It doesn't come close to the RB5 though.....
Old 16 August 2005, 10:07 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
We picked up my wife's S3 on saturday - a 51 plate 210 in Dolphin Grey (lovely colour!!).

Very impressed with it, I must say.

It doesn't come close to the RB5 though.....
You lucky swine

get it REVO'd then it might get closer than you'd think
265bhp and 287 pounds of torque!
Old 16 August 2005, 10:46 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

You lucky swine

But she drives my son around most of the time so no to that!!
Old 16 August 2005, 07:53 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

You lucky swine

i think he means in terms of the drive and feel of the car-the RB5 being fantastic and the Audi being not so fantastic, i.e a bit dull and uninvolving to drive-revo or not. its not all about figures-a Ford Puma would be a more involving and fun car to drive overall than a 265bhp Audi and the puma "only" has 123bhp.have driven one before and it was a better drivers car than my brothers S3.
Old 16 August 2005, 07:58 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
i think he means in terms of the drive and feel of the car-the RB5 being fantastic and the Audi being not so fantastic, i.e a bit dull and uninvolving to drive-revo or not. its not all about figures-a Ford Puma would be a more involving and fun car to drive overall than a 265bhp Audi and the puma "only" has 123bhp.have driven one before and it was a better drivers car than my brothers S3.
Gotta disagree with that comment. My wife had a 2002 Puma, 1.7 and yes it drove well, but unless you're under 5ft 4" the view is awful. How can it be a good drivers car when you cant see out of the windows without bending your neck ?
The Puma was just a glorified KA for hairdressers
Old 16 August 2005, 08:07 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
Gotta disagree with that comment. My wife had a 2002 Puma, 1.7 and yes it drove well, but unless you're under 5ft 4" the view is awful. How can it be a good drivers car when you cant see out of the windows without bending your neck ?
The Puma was just a glorified KA for hairdressers
oh right, that must make a lamborghini gallardo and almost everyother supercar not a drivers car because of poor visability- are you joking?????????. some people wouldnt know a "drivers" car to save there lives! the worlds motoring press would also disagree with your comments about the puma as well-youre sooooo wrong!
Old 16 August 2005, 08:21 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

oh right, that must make a lamborghini gallardo and almost everyother supercar not a drivers car because of poor visability- are you joking?????????. some people wouldnt know a "drivers" car to save there lives! the worlds motoring press would also disagree with your comments about the puma as well-youre sooooo wrong!
I have to agree the puma is a great drivers car. I had as much fun, maybe more so than my 05 wrx (just don't tell the wife) keep looking at getting another one as a second car, a puma is so much fun in the twisties...
Old 16 August 2005, 08:39 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

i'd like to see you take your lambo to Sainsburys and park it. Unless of course you only use the Puma on the track ?

I'm talking real world, living with a car day in, day out. I admit the Puma drives well, but anymore than 30-40 mins in the bloody thing and it was impossible to remain comfortable. (maybe you dont think the 90% of the time you're not driving enthusiasticly is important)
Old 16 August 2005, 09:01 PM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

I had a 225bhp S3 that I APR'd. It was a fast car, but as mentioned already, very un-involving. I had a couple of classic scoobs before this and felt it was time for something a little more refined with a better finish inside (the S3 is defo both of these), but a few weeks after I had it I knew I'd made a mistake. I lived with it for a little over a year. I'm now back in a classic my00 and still lovin it after a year. When both taken above 80% the scoob pi55es all over the S3 (70% in the wet) in the feedback/enjoyment stakes
Old 16 August 2005, 10:51 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dwk*
I had a 225bhp S3 that I APR'd. It was a fast car, but as mentioned already, very un-involving. I had a couple of classic scoobs before this and felt it was time for something a little more refined with a better finish inside (the S3 is defo both of these), but a few weeks after I had it I knew I'd made a mistake. I lived with it for a little over a year. I'm now back in a classic my00 and still lovin it after a year. When both taken above 80% the scoob pi55es all over the S3 (70% in the wet) in the feedback/enjoyment stakes
I found only the steering a little uninvolving compared to a classic scoob (i've not driven a new age so i cant comment) the handling was fine and i'm sure the power will be after i revo it.

as for keeping up on the road well just ask any of the Smacs lot how NWmark in his S3 does at keeping up on the road and the smacs lot dont hang about trust me!

Admittedly the Audi probably does not have the feel of the Scoob (all Audi's are like this) or never will have due to the lighter weight and the low centre of gravity of the flat four engine although (and i'm sticking my neck out here) a well driven S3 (modified) would keep with the majority of scoobs out there! as a point to point car - just not as involving.

anyway shut up you lot your talking me out of getting one!!!
Old 17 August 2005, 04:11 PM
dwk*
Scooby Regular

Your right chief, there's nothing in it on the road (if you read my post I never said there was, I was talking about enjoying the drive). I think there would be on a really wet road though, When the S3 lets go in those conditions it just ploughs ahead understeering like a FWD. I lost confidence with the car on wet roads after that happening a couple of times.

If your anything like me once you've made your mind up you want a car, thats it, no matter what anyone says (I wont say I told you so)