Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 12:47 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Civic Type R

I'm going to look at a Civic Type R tonight. What's the best price people have got recently on a new one with Air con please - or what should I be aiming at?

Cheers

Steve
Old 26 July 2005, 03:11 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

£15800 is the cheapest i can find ?
Old 26 July 2005, 03:44 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Are you going from a scooby to the type r mate? If so then you really need to give it a long test drive. I sold the evo and got a type r!! Only had it 12 weeks and it's gone. Too frantic, no low down grunt, too many gear changes needed at the most inapropriate times. Excellent engine, gearbox is a gem, handling so so, (very fidgety crap in the wet!) brakes could be better. Road noise is a big issue also.
dave
Old 26 July 2005, 04:07 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Are you going from a scooby to the type r mate? If so then you really need to give it a long test drive. I sold the evo and got a type r!! Only had it 12 weeks and it's gone. Too frantic, no low down grunt, too many gear changes needed at the most inapropriate times. Excellent engine, gearbox is a gem, handling so so, (very fidgety crap in the wet!) brakes could be better. Road noise is a big issue also.
dave
So what have you got now ?
Old 26 July 2005, 04:24 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

They stop production on these soon (last week IIRC) but you'll still get them new from dealers, the price is likely to be harder to haggle as demand will be high. The new shape isn't due till end 2007.

I'ld take a look at the CTR forum for a low mileage facelift with aircon if I were you, seen em go for £12.5k for a 04 plate with under 8k miles on.

Dealers are still asking £15-16k for similair used cars!

Take a look here http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/index.php
Old 26 July 2005, 04:31 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

So what have you got now ?
I've gone all pipe and slippers mate!! I now have a 330i se BMW. Different but very comfy, quick as the type r, same insurance as the type r.
dave
Old 26 July 2005, 04:36 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I went from a MY02 WRX to a CTR, NOt sure what you mean about the no low down grunt, compared to a turbo car then yes, but its the same if not more than every NA car. Completely different driving experience to a Scooby, possibly more involving as it does not have the ultimate grip or suspension travel so have to adopt your driving style quite a bit.
Loved the engine note with a simota or ice box and magnex back box. Grip was terrible in the wet, Felt the brakes where ok but the ultimate lack of grip messed the braking up.
Damm site cheaper to run than my current MY05, I feel one of the car have to own, just for the frantic Vtec style, - some people love it some dont.

Richard
Old 26 July 2005, 04:43 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I've gone all pipe and slippers mate!! I now have a 330i se BMW. Different but very comfy, quick as the type r, same insurance as the type r.
dave
Nice car - obviously i have a lot of time for BMW's, just not the drivers
Old 26 July 2005, 05:05 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Sub, be careful what you do mate, if you`re planning to go from a Scoob to a Type R, you `ll notice some big differences.

I`ve recently come from a facelift CTR to a MY05 WRX, and the CTR has less power, doesn`t handle as well, is frenetic, and is, basically, mental as hell.

Having said all that, they`re a great car in their own right, but just not as good as the Scoob (IMHO of course).

PS. - Be careful what you read about running-costs too. I`m aware they`re all different, but mine (nothing wrong with it, `coz it ran like a dream) guzzled petrol just the same as the Scoob. Around town it was returning 23 mpg only, and was even lower if I drove it "spiritedly".

Anyway, good luck, but try before you buy.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:12 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Road noise is a big issue also.
This is down to the factory Bridgestones and can be cured by changing when they are worn.

Andy
Old 26 July 2005, 05:13 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I paid £16K for mine 2.5 years ago with Aircon, Foglamps etc - Maidenhead Honda, but you should be able to get Metallic paint thrown in too these days.

Do not buy one without Aircon - the secondhand market for one's without is small ....
Old 26 July 2005, 05:16 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I paid 14.5k for my 53 plate about 7 months ago with air con and leather. Great car, excellent value for money. Sure it has it's downsides, but doesn't every car. Make sure you take it for a long test drive on motorway / country road etc too ensure it's what you want. Can be a bit too mental for some

Sean
Old 26 July 2005, 05:56 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Nice car - obviously i have a lot of time for BMW's, just not the drivers
Eh!!! LOL! I've had scoobs so I know how to treat them
dave
Old 26 July 2005, 08:14 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Misty, u make me larf m8. It was only the other day on a thread about diesels where u was telling us all how great your CTR was......then a few weeks later ur in a Beemer..........
Old 26 July 2005, 08:19 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Misty, u make me larf m8. It was only the other day on a thread about diesels where u was telling us all how great your CTR was......then a few weeks later ur in a Beemer..........
Well??? in a few weeks time I could be in a diesel!!!! I just have to go where my heart takes me. Whatever car I have I will defend it to the max, once it's gone "HEY" it was just another car.....
dave
Old 26 July 2005, 10:18 PM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

dave
never have i agreed with anything so much!!! used to own a CTR and my feelings are exactly the same! they are good value 4 money though, a lot cheaper to run than a scoob!
Old 26 July 2005, 11:09 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Have you considered an Integra Type R DC5 ?
Old 27 July 2005, 09:35 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. Andy M3 - is the 15800 for a UK car mate? I can find a similar price but thats for an import, and I dont want one of those.

I had an Impreza a couple of years ago, but I've got a Laguna diesel at the moment (needed something cheap for a bit). I drove one for 40 minutes on my own last night round Milton Keynes and loved it.
Old 27 July 2005, 11:03 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Thanks for the responses guys. Andy M3 - is the 15800 for a UK car mate?
the car was available from Virgin - not sure whether it was an import or not though.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:37 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Do you still have to re-adjust the drivers seat back in the civics when you let someone in the back - Bloody annoying!!!!
Old 27 July 2005, 12:53 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Do you still have to re-adjust the drivers seat back in the civics when you let someone in the back - Bloody annoying!!!!
You sure do .. Annoys the hell out of me!
Old 27 July 2005, 01:13 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy M3, I'll take a look.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:56 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

They are UK cars, with AC. Just waiting for them to get back with a p-ex price for my car now

Anyone used Virgin Cars before?

Last edited by Sub97; 27 July 2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 27 July 2005, 02:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I know they are run by DC COOK who has had a poor reputation in the past. But they must do reasonably well as they are still going.
Old 27 July 2005, 02:48 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, thanks for the help
Old 27 July 2005, 07:31 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Well??? in a few weeks time I could be in a diesel!!!! I just have to go where my heart takes me. Whatever car I have I will defend it to the max, once it's gone "HEY" it was just another car.....
dave
Hehe misty what r u like! it must have been all our quality derv points that have been made over the last few weeks! Still believe its better fun than driving an 'economical' petrol engined motor
Old 27 July 2005, 07:38 PM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
I drove one for 40 minutes on my own last night round Milton Keynes and loved it.
milton keynes is definitely one of the best places to drive a ctr imo as you can really stretch the engine and make good use of the vtec. understeer can be a bit of a problem in places but otherwise road surfacing is superb.

enjoy!!
Old 28 July 2005, 07:52 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Hehe misty what r u like! it must have been all our quality derv points that have been made over the last few weeks! Still believe its better fun than driving an 'economical' petrol engined motor

What's an economical petrol engined motor? I haven't had one of those for over twenty years!!
dave
Old 28 July 2005, 11:33 PM
super6four
Scooby Regular

Come and say hello on the CTR forum, just as friendly a bunch as on here (pretty much).

I have both a CTR and a new shape STI. (Well the scooby belongs to my wife, Emms on here but she lets me have a go). They are both so different it is nigh on impossible to compare. Power delivery is of course different as is driving feel. Of course the Scooby was £10k more, but was it 10k better. Nope.

If it is dry, I get a more rewarding drive in the Civic in that you have to work it harder. Do not confuse it with hard work however. With an engine that revs as freely and a gearbox better than, well anything I have driven (GT3, NSX, M3, RX8 etc etc...not all mine of course, I wish), driving is a pleasure. Of course not to everyones taste. Somepeople want to just floor a car in any gear and go, some want to work the car, not have everything done for them. This is no bad thing just people are different. The Scooby, well it can be a bit dramatic, when the boost comes in but for me it tails of to quickly. Also it often feels like I am just hanging on . Of course in the wet, Scooby everytime if I need to get somewhere quick. With less stress

Both great cars, with different approaches. The Type R is not for everyone, but give it a go, you may like it.

As a we note after mucho ribbing by the missus about my (comparativly) 'slow' (huh, 1/4 in under 15 secs still, women huh) CTR I had to give in to my fragile ego and spend a few bob on a supercharger etc and now the shoe is on the other foot lol.

So she is looking through the tuning catalogues...nowt wrong with a home brewed tuning war I guess
Old 29 July 2005, 04:37 PM
stefan_01
Scooby Newbie

I used to own a Civic Type-r. I found it to be a great car. Once I'd had the LSD from the JDM version type-r the handling improved greatly. Also if you get the Hondata K-100 ECU fitted and mapped you will find a huge improvement in low down torque.

Quick Reply: Civic Type R