Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Should I buy an RX7 or another Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 10:53 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy an RX7 or another Impreza?

It's that car-change time again and I've got to say, I'm not having much fun! I've kinda got a shortish list of:

BMW 330 Ci
BMW M3 Evo (again - will be 1998 model)
Mercedes E320 Avantgarde
Mercedes C320 Avantgarde
Mercedes C43 AMG
Chris Singletons Impreza

or

Mazda RX7

My head says go for the Merc or BMW as they have goodish residuals, the Mercs in particular I like. However, my heart says go for an RX7 or Chris' WRX.

I can get a really nice 'mint' RX7 on a 2000 W-plate in Silver with 22,000 miles and warranty for a very good price. The only worry with the RX7 is reliability really. I want something that I could drive over to the coast on the odd occasion but am not sure the RX7 is upto it really.

Sigh - what would you do? Budget is about £14k

Matt
Old 20 June 2005, 09:17 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

So long as the RX7 hasn't been tuned into oblivion you shouldn't have any reliability issues, it's still a Japanese hatchback at the end of the day

I personally would be more concerned about the three benzes on your list breaking down.
Old 20 June 2005, 09:44 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't worry about rx7's reliability, it's quite new and low mileage. You'll only start to notice a reliability problem around (genuine, not jap import 'corrected') 60-70k miles on a standard engine in my opinion. They handle so nice

That said, I wouldn't be buying one if I had £14k to spend though.
Old 20 June 2005, 03:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Me got a rex a couple of weeks back, best thing Ive ever done.... I wet myself everytime I drive it

you gotta own 1 before you die. its a must. must say though its a scary thought anything going wrong with them but thats why you buy 1 thats already been rebuilt. to be fair though if your looking at a newer model rather than a 1993ish car then I wouldnt worry about reliability.
Old 20 June 2005, 03:38 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

M3 does everything well. Reliability wise - equal to the Mercs. Looks wise, classy, performance wise - fastest. (I know nowt about the AMG though).

M3 !!!
Old 20 June 2005, 06:32 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

now i'd buy a massively tuned single turbo RX7 for that money but well depends what you really are seeking performance practicality running costs or wot?
Si
PS hatchback how rude lmao
Old 20 June 2005, 06:33 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

come onto http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/index.php if you have any rotary, RX7 or other questions.....
Si
Old 20 June 2005, 07:05 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the RX just to be different, i had one for 3 years and every drive felt special, in that time and 25,000miles all i had to replace was all the coolant hoses at the cost of £600 fitted, as for the reliability issue as long as it gets good oil regularly and you look after the coolant system (overheating a Wankel is a big no-no) it should be as reliable as any other engine and the overall build quality is far better that a Subaru IMO.

The Wankel power plant had a lot of success in endurance racing in the states in the late 80's early 90's, so they aren't that fragile
Old 20 June 2005, 07:36 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I'd never recommend an RX-7 as a daily driver, great fun to drive but frail. Your choice has done 22k in approx 5 years, why would someone only do 4k miles a year in a completely reliable car? The engine 'should' be OK, but it must be run on a minimum of Optimax, however, I can pretty much guarantee you will have turbo issues - the twin turbo setup is hideously complicated and prone to difficult to diagnose problems.

Compared to the likes of an Impreza the RX is great to drive and as a second car I'd have no problems recommending it (I've had mine for over 2 1/2 years now) but if it is to be your daily transport I'd look elsewhere (and that's before you get to the mid-high teens fuel consumption).
Old 20 June 2005, 08:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me that these are a royal PITA as they get older, lovely looking thing but best left for the brave, I mean 15 to the gallon is ridiculous, I know if I bought one it would bankrupt me, I had this type of experience with a Fiat Coupe, any car can go wrong but getting an RX7 must be tempting fate.
Old 21 June 2005, 10:55 AM
EGO DRIVER
Scooby Newbie

the RX7 engine is a poor one, very poor fuel consumption, in fact you will be lucky to get it out of the teens and will have very little power to show for it!

go for an evo 4, that should be in your price range and a much better drivers car than any of those listed.
Old 21 June 2005, 11:11 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

There's really no option, my impreza of course

That said, what's the M3 doing on the list, thought you'd just got rid of one because you couldn't get on with it ??

Have you driven all the cars on the list? If not, do so - should then be able to eliminate those that aren't worthy.

Personally, as I said on your other post, I'd go for a skyline, midly tuned should be reliable and can't be touched for performance There's a low mileage 22K I think for sale near me from a dealer for £14K so there are bargains to be had.

Chris

P.S. Hurry up and make your mind up, need to know whether to put mine in the trader or not.
Old 21 June 2005, 12:48 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EGO DRIVER
the RX7 engine is a poor one, very poor fuel consumption, in fact you will be lucky to get it out of the teens and will have very little power to show for it!

go for an evo 4, that should be in your price range and a much better drivers car than any of those listed.
LMFAO i agree with the comments about maybe not being best/cheapest car to use for short work journeys & best as second car comments but those last 2 made me laugh suggest you tell those to the bloke running 9 second 1/4's on a fraction of the similar skyliners budgets!!
Si
Old 21 June 2005, 12:57 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

PS can get a rebuild for the price of a couple of cambelt changes & im paying half the insurance i was on a UK impreza.
Si (biased with his very mildly modded 233bhp per litre rotor powered beasty)
Old 22 June 2005, 10:32 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

Would definately be the RX7 for me. Sold my Scoob a few months ago and bought one. Superb drivers car, feels very special even just sitting in it looking out over the long curvy bonnet. Unfortunately it has now been written off (Rex's bite the unwary very hard when that 2nd turbo comes on boost mid-bend).

But am buying another one in just over a weeks time, cant wait! Timeless styling, cheap insurance (insured as a classic) and cheap tax as only 1.3 litres!
Old 22 June 2005, 11:01 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it's a great engine, very simple, cheap to rebuild and a bit of porting, single turbo and.. BIG power!
Old 22 June 2005, 11:04 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

My friends selling his he has loved every second of it but he has just found the Anglia of his dreams (yes i did say Anglia), i would buy it myself but i would have to run it daily and i cant afford it on the miles i do. 94-95 i think with just under 60k unmodified except for a turbo timer, on the Auto trader at the moment if anyones looking for one at 7k.
Old 23 June 2005, 12:21 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Get a Corolla http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcars.htm p!ss on almost anything.
Old 23 June 2005, 07:09 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

except the REworx RX7 if it hadn't missed 3rd gear at pod on Sun wood of been a low 9 second run
Si