Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

993 TT stunning

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2005, 08:26 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 TT stunning

Here is a real supercar for Deep, no massive run common or garden Arctic Silver 996TT for you sir:

Apprarently won the PCGB concours last year...a snip at a dealer for £50k....will definitely hold it's money better than those water cooled things you were looking at...
Cman
Old 17 June 2005, 08:43 AM
ChrisB

Colour is, erm, an "acquired taste" to say the least...
Old 17 June 2005, 09:31 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

That car has been for sale for over 6 months now, so I would be very wary of buying a car I would struggle selling on.
Old 17 June 2005, 09:32 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOVE it

John
Old 17 June 2005, 09:37 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

That looks AWESOME!

One day I shall have a 993 Turbo, best looking of the Porsche 911's IMHO
Old 17 June 2005, 09:45 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Looks the nuts. I'd have it, though 50k for a 993 is quite a lot. 996 Turbo's are getting down to 60k........... have seen one up for 58k.
Much prefer the 996. 993 dashboard is just crap.
The one I want (if I can't get a turbo) is a 996 C4S, preferably with the Aero pack. Still to much money though, for me.
Old 17 June 2005, 09:53 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

STIlover, the 996 interior may *look* better, in that it is much more modern and cohesive, but the build quality in attrocious, the plastics, buttons and indicator stalks are horrible. I had a 996 C4S, it had 2.5k miles on it when I bought it and it rattled and buzzed like a bugger when I got it, 4k miles later it was driving me mad.
Also good 993 Carreras are more expensive than 996's, I wouldn't be suprosed to see the same happen with 993TT vs 996TT. The main problem with the 996(and 997) being it is just soo damn common, a victim of it's own success and the fact that borrowing money is so cheap these days. I'll admit the 996 is going to be a faster point to point car, but like the classic scoob vs blobeye debate part of the appeal of the earlier cars was greater involvement and a slight rawness that the newer cars distance themselves from.
As for this colour....yeah it's scary, but looks amazing in the flesh.
Cman
Old 17 June 2005, 10:00 AM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

i want, i want, i want
Old 17 June 2005, 10:47 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

lovely car, terrible colour....but hey, each to their own
Old 17 June 2005, 12:16 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
STIlover, the 996 interior may *look* better, in that it is much more modern and cohesive, but the build quality in attrocious, the plastics, buttons and indicator stalks are horrible. I had a 996 C4S, it had 2.5k miles on it when I bought it and it rattled and buzzed like a bugger when I got it, 4k miles later it was driving me mad.
Also good 993 Carreras are more expensive than 996's, I wouldn't be suprosed to see the same happen with 993TT vs 996TT. The main problem with the 996(and 997) being it is just soo damn common, a victim of it's own success and the fact that borrowing money is so cheap these days. I'll admit the 996 is going to be a faster point to point car, but like the classic scoob vs blobeye debate part of the appeal of the earlier cars was greater involvement and a slight rawness that the newer cars distance themselves from.
Cman
Good post Chuck, completely agree with your reasoning there
Old 17 June 2005, 01:19 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

How anyone can order a blue interior is beyond me!
Old 17 June 2005, 01:38 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Cman
hmm only you could liken a 993 & 996 to a classic scoob & bugeye

it'll be the twisties next
Old 17 June 2005, 01:54 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Are you serious Hawk? I admitted the 996TT is faster, the rest is my personaly opinion. I've owned a good 996(C4S), I didn't like it, I sold it after 11 months. I then bought a 997'S' a few months later. I also have a 22B and I've owned a MY01 bugeye and a MY03 STIPPP, neither of which was as satisfying to own. I am absolutely sure I know what I am talking about, of course it's all from my own personal view, but you'll see the 993TT vs 996TT arguements blazing away all over the net, and it certainly isn't because the 993 guys are too poor to 'trade up'.
Cman
Old 17 June 2005, 02:51 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

One of, if not the best car that I have ever driven, was a 993TT. It was just iconic IMHO, and one day I will have one of my own. The blue one at 911 virgin is a beauty and I'd even have it in that colour! There is a chap near me with a speed yellow 993TT and it's similarly garish, but utterly sublime in the same instant.

The looks, build quality and rarity place it higher up the desirablility scale if compared with a 996TT. Again, IMHO.

Matt
Old 17 June 2005, 02:55 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Are you serious Hawk? I admitted the 996TT is faster, the rest is my personaly opinion. I've owned a good 996(C4S), I didn't like it, I sold it after 11 months. I then bought a 997'S' a few months later. I also have a 22B and I've owned a MY01 bugeye and a MY03 STIPPP, neither of which was as satisfying to own. I am absolutely sure I know what I am talking about, of course it's all from my own personal view, but you'll see the 993TT vs 996TT arguements blazing away all over the net, and it certainly isn't because the 993 guys are too poor to 'trade up'.
Cman
sorry obviously my post was mis read by you.

Comparing a 993TT to a 996TT

isn't quite the same as a classic to bugeye .

ironic posts obviously aren't my strong point.
Old 17 June 2005, 03:03 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I think it very much can be looked at the same way, I prefer 'classic' scoobs to newage. I find they are more communicative, more raw and more fun. The same arguements apply equally to the 993tt vs 996tt. The steering has been dulled, the soundproofing has been increased, weight is on the up, the evolution is along the same lines, the cars are becoming GT's rather than out and out sportscars (you need a GT3 RS or Spec 'C' for that). Some people are happy about that, some are less happy. Ultimately the newer generation of both is quicker, but that alone doesn't make it more rewarding IMHO.
Rgds
C
Old 17 June 2005, 03:10 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Why not Hawk, in both cases one is the evolution of the other.

Having said that, the build quality of the Scoob improved in the transition from Classic to Bugeye. I doubt the same can be said in the transition from 993 to 996.

Not a dig, just a reflection of Porsche (like Mercedes) containing costs.

IIRC Porsche were in a bit of trouble financially when developing the 996 and had to increase the profit per unit margins.
Old 17 June 2005, 03:58 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

LOVE the car and colour but would be 10x better with a black interior IMO
Old 17 June 2005, 06:16 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

I think it very much can be looked at the same way, I prefer 'classic' scoobs to newage. I find they are more communicative, more raw and more fun. The same arguements apply equally to the 993tt vs 996tt. The steering has been dulled, the soundproofing has been increased, weight is on the up, the evolution is along the same lines, the cars are becoming GT's rather than out and out sportscars (you need a GT3 RS or Spec 'C' for that). Some people are happy about that, some are less happy. Ultimately the newer generation of both is quicker, but that alone doesn't make it more rewarding IMHO.
Rgds
C
i will concede to your better knowledge on these vehicles as unfortunately my eyes are somewhat clouded towards my "not exactly standard" 996TT and having never driven a 993 cannot as I said before comment.

I would however agree that the build quality of the newer scoobs got better while the rawness was taken away, unfortunately i'm a huge fan of 4wd and a 993TT just wasn't what I wanted, I actually prefer the shape of the 996.

Paul
Old 17 June 2005, 06:19 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

belting car - massive running costs though - but worth it.

Heres a pic of mine:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...y/P5020023.jpg
Old 17 June 2005, 06:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Few cars can carry that colour and get away with it and that 993 does it with style. Looks great!
Old 17 June 2005, 08:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in laws Bugatti is the same colour as that, superb hue.
Old 17 June 2005, 08:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Cman,

The 993tt imho is one of the best looking cars ever made. The relatively small numbers made means the exclusivity factor makes it even more desirable. However in the real world £50k for a 10 year old car. You must be joking!!!

The build quality of 993 maybe superior to 996 but on a car 10 years old things are going to fatigue/perish on a weekly basis. Meaning not only money but time aswell(which is also money!)

The newer 911s maybe GTs and that maybe just what I need. I've just done a 500mile round trip to Plymouth and god was I thankful for all the toys in my cruiser. D'ont think I could live without them now! Though they maybe GTs they are'nt the same as XKRs, early Astons, the 911s still have a very sporty edge. Though I'm sure you know this better than me!

Interior quality of all cars these days is quite poor with one or two exceptions. I drove my mates 996 C4 and most of it seemed quite well put together with one exception. The indicator stalks!! They felt like they'd come out of a £10k starter car!!
But with the exception of perhaps Audi who makes quality interiors? MB? AM? TVR? BMW? Not the ones I've been in!

The question is though, if 996s, 997s are common, boring, poor quality GTs why did'nt you buy a 993tt??

Cheers
Deep
Old 17 June 2005, 10:38 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Wasnt the car Will Smith drove in bad boys a 993 TT?

Simon.
Old 17 June 2005, 10:56 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi Cman,

The question is though, if 996s, 997s are common, boring, poor quality GTs why did'nt you buy a 993tt??

Cheers
Deep
"SNIGGER"
Old 17 June 2005, 11:05 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Wasnt the car Will Smith drove in bad boys a 993 TT?

Simon.
Yes, but that was just to distract you from the fact that its a ****e film
Old 17 June 2005, 11:12 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

"SNIGGER" X 2
Old 18 June 2005, 12:30 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

To quote McEnroe "You can not be serious?"

Quality film - 2nd one was pants I will admit.

Simon.
Old 18 June 2005, 12:47 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Hi Cman,

The 993tt imho is one of the best looking cars ever made. The relatively small numbers made means the exclusivity factor makes it even more desirable. However in the real world £50k for a 10 year old car. You must be joking!!!

The build quality of 993 maybe superior to 996 but on a car 10 years old things are going to fatigue/perish on a weekly basis. Meaning not only money but time aswell(which is also money!)

The newer 911s maybe GTs and that maybe just what I need. I've just done a 500mile round trip to Plymouth and god was I thankful for all the toys in my cruiser. D'ont think I could live without them now! Though they maybe GTs they are'nt the same as XKRs, early Astons, the 911s still have a very sporty edge. Though I'm sure you know this better than me!

Interior quality of all cars these days is quite poor with one or two exceptions. I drove my mates 996 C4 and most of it seemed quite well put together with one exception. The indicator stalks!! They felt like they'd come out of a £10k starter car!!
But with the exception of perhaps Audi who makes quality interiors? MB? AM? TVR? BMW? Not the ones I've been in!

Cheers
Deep
Well said Deep - one of the best posts I've read on this BBS for some time.
The 993 TT *is* one if not *the* most beautiful cars that Porsche ever made. However to live with it everyday could be an expensive and prohibitive thing for the reasons you righly point out.

The 996 may be 'mass produced' but it was made be relatively maintenance independent and that counts for a hell of a lot when you are buying the car yourself. A 996 TT will be my next car despite my love of the form of the 993 wide body

Gastro

Quick Reply: 993 TT stunning