Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

'99 Celica 1.8 VVTi...

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 10:53 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Celica 1.8 VVTi...

In the market for one of these at the moment and have found a clean 99 model with only 31K on the clock and FSH..

Anybody got one of these/had one of these and care to share there thoughts..!

Any known problems/issues that one should be aware off..!

Sorry for all the questions...

Cheers...
Old 12 May 2005, 11:06 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

My colleague has a late 01 190 1.8VVTLi with 30K on the clock, usual problems with 190's are lift bolts, rusting hubs, crap lacquer on alloys, dodgy ECU (causing electrical problems) - most have been fixed under warranty.

Would suggest a 190, as most people who buy the 140's soon regret it!

try www.celica-club.co.uk, user timtsport if you want more info
(BTW he is looking at selling his )
Old 12 May 2005, 11:23 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.. I have posted the question over on the celica site.

Cheers
Old 12 May 2005, 12:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Would suggest a 190, as most people who buy the 140's soon regret it!
I'd only reccomend a 190 if you want to rev the ***** off it most of the time and spend 99% of your journey changing gear. It's fun at first, but when driving everyday it becomes a real chore (although I don't know what a 140 is like...but I presume its more tractable = less gearstick stirring).

Alarms can play up...its a retrofit fitted after the car was made (presumably to get past UK type approval). Usually its the Interior microwave sensor which needs adjusting (easy fix, its located under the centre console trim, underneath the window switches).

Wheels corrode. This is currently under dispute with us, we are on the 2nd set of wheels and after only 6 months are starting to corrode again (I guess they were refurbs not "new" )

The trim is not as solidly clipped together unlike Celicas of old, nothing to worry about unless some heavy handed grease monkey has took them off and broke the the clips - just something to look out for. So it shouldn't rattle, but if messed with, it will!

If you ever get underneath the car..check the inside surface of the front brakes discs, I found ours had have heavy corrosion from poor pad contact and both front discs showed sign of cracking - had to be replaced at 20000miles. Hopefully this is just a one off case, as I've seen the same thing happen many other makes of cars. But cannot confirm if it will happen or not on another Celica - so its worth checking.

Thats about it. IMO not as durable as the old Celicas - they were true work horses. My mums first one 1986 C reg - still on the road, still going strong. We spent eff on it. The person which bought it off us spent eff all on it. I spoke to the current owner and she hasn't spent a penny on it (although it does look rather tatty now..but at 19years old who's complaining? )! We also owned a 1991 Celica for 10 years and the only non-service expense was a set of shock absorbers. Somehow I don't think our current (4th celica in total) one will be quite as durable - but time will tell

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 May 2005 at 01:02 PM.