Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Early Boxster 2.5 or S1 Elise?....

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 10:27 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Boxster 2.5 or S1 Elise?....

Im sorely tempted to splash some cash on a nice sportscar which isnt going to lose me a fortune when I come to sell!

Looking at either an early Boxster - 97/98 2.5 litre (204bhp) or an Elise 1.8 S1 99/00.

Basically aim to use it for about a year, probably do around 10k miles, and I would hope to sell then aiming to lose under 1k.... seem realistic?

Anyone owned either? Is the early 2.5 Boxster a little on the slow side? Servicing expensive? The car will be used for short commutes to work and weekend fun....
Old 10 April 2005, 10:35 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 is not a quick car really, also, don't buy a 2.5 without warranty, the engines have been known to go big time, and can leave you with a 5 figure repair bill, over half what you'll pay for the car, the problem doesn't affect the 2.7 or 3.2.

Check for RMS issues too.
Old 10 April 2005, 10:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Interesting about the 2.5 engines letting go, what exactly goes wrong on them? Not sure I could manage getting a 2.7 either. What are the RMS issues?

I know the k-series in the Elise is prone to engine probs too (head gaskets), but it doesnt sound that common, and shouldnt cost a fortune to sort. One thing that puts me off the Elise a little bit is getting in and out of it in a suit....
Old 10 April 2005, 10:50 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Best place to ask is here www.boxa.net

They can answer all your Boxster Q's, the technical and tuning forum has lots on RMS and a couple of scary horror stories, but at the same time, many, many satisfied 2.5 owners.
Old 10 April 2005, 11:53 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The original boxster is not particularly quick, but sounds superb and handles nicely. The cabin on early examples is not particularly nice either, and really needs full leather to smarten it up.

That said I'd still take one over an elise as an every day proposition. The elise is just too compromised IMO for a daily driver.

The engine problems on the 2.5's being referred to are probably the porous cylinder bores causing an unhealthy oil/water mix. I'd be very surprised if a car you bought today would have that problem lying in wait for you.

Gary.
Old 12 April 2005, 08:07 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Have quite a bit of experience of both. Currently own Elise S1 and family used to own a Boxster.

They are v different cars. The Elise is a no compromise driving experience and is more like driving a go kart than a proper car . Amazing when you're in the mood and surprisingly practical (I drive it in my suit) - but if its your only car there will be mornings when you wished you had something else.

The Boxster is a much more practical driving experience. Its not that fast but its got a reasonable turn of speed and beautifully weighted controls. Having said that for the price of an early boxster I would be tempted by a newer Honda S2K.

Cos I run my Elise as a 3rd car I wouldnt even contemplate changing it for a Boxster.
Old 12 April 2005, 08:21 AM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilf
but if its your only car there will be mornings when you wished you had something else.
Are you out of your mind

My Elise is my only car, use it everyday, have done 31k miles in it in the last year. Cant say I ever want to be driving a more comfortable car.

If you have to carry lots of stuff about, its impractical, but I cant imagine the Boxster being any better. And if you do very long journeys the noise will probably get to you.

Never driven a Boxster.
Old 12 April 2005, 08:23 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

If you have to carry lots of stuff about, its impractical, but I cant imagine the Boxster being any better.
Boxster has 2 boots and is easily the most practical car in its class.