Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Merc SL500

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 01:42 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc SL500

Well i've had one of these for about 6 eeks now and i'm quite enjoying it. Not the best handler on the b roads but still surprises me how stable it is, something to do with how low the car sits.
The creature comforts are all there, a hard top for the winter which makes you forget its a soft top its that good. Hard top is now in the garage and enjoying the sunny days with the roof down, the heater is so powerfull it can keep you warm on very cold days.
The 5 litre lump has 326 bhp which when you floor at 80 comes in with a real punch. Getting about 20 to the gallon which is ok.
Any one else driven or owned one of these, just interested in your experience.
Old 06 April 2005, 04:13 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lewegie
Well i've had one of these for about 6 eeks now and i'm quite enjoying it. Not the best handler on the b roads but still surprises me how stable it is, something to do with how low the car sits.
The creature comforts are all there, a hard top for the winter which makes you forget its a soft top its that good. Hard top is now in the garage and enjoying the sunny days with the roof down, the heater is so powerfull it can keep you warm on very cold days.
The 5 litre lump has 326 bhp which when you floor at 80 comes in with a real punch. Getting about 20 to the gallon which is ok.
what model year is it m8? never owned or driven one but have always liked them. what were you driving before?
Old 06 April 2005, 04:50 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Its a 1991. As the years went by they reduced the bhp, apparently went to a single overhead cam. I opted for this year as i've heard about some elec wiring loom probs in the latter years and also fell into my price bracket.
I've had Scooby WRX, M5, Supra etc, but never a soft top.
Very impressed with the big V8 engine without relying on a turbo. Can enjoy driving it slow too, i know, pass me my slippers.
Only problem, there is no switch to turn the traction control off.
Old 06 April 2005, 04:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a fuse? If so, you could probably jerry-rig one.
Old 06 April 2005, 05:05 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

I've looked into this on the Merc forums, and its not so simple as bypassing a fuse. Shame because it really does spoil the fun although if i look on the bright side, the tyres will last longer.
Old 06 April 2005, 06:08 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The power dropped cos Merc wanted to improve fuel economy & so I think they changed sth on the fuel injection system & ECU mapping.
Old 06 April 2005, 08:27 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I used to have one, still the quickest car I have owned.

I really enjoyed the car, although the odd niggle tainted the experience slightly.

The 5 litre V8 is an absolute cracker. Creamy smooth, muscular and built for a million miles. I was driving a Bugeye WRX when I bought the car. On the way home on the M56, my mate (driving the WRX) and I had a head to head from a rolling 70mph. The Merc BURIED the Subaru.

Handling was there too: stability and grip was excellent, although the steering was a little lifeless, and the brakes were just not up to the job.

Its still a handsome car after all these years. Build quality and finish was fantastic: a PROPER Mercedes, not like the Ford standards of today's Mercs. However, the car was not infallable. I had a leak in the cabin that could not be traced. A misfire turned out to be defective (but not worn) dizzy caps and rotor arms, a common fault. Very occasional ABS/TCS faliure. A little pull to the left (a Merc trait). Small things.

To be honest I got a little paranoid with the car and somehow started to feel that A Large Bill was just around the corner. And I HATE dealing with lifeless cars and muppet car garages. And as Clarkson once said, if the thing doesn't work after liberally spraying it with WD40, I am inclined to sell it immediately. So I sold the old girl, and went back to the comfort zone of something modern and warrantied. My reasons for buying the car was bulletproof reliability and zero depreciation: neither actually happened...

I miss the power & torque, the fuss free top down cruising, the engineering and the immense ability to effortlessly do long distances.

And I can't believe I cursed the fuel economy at the time, which was low to mid 20's to the gallon. It's replacement, a Mazda RX8, can only dream of those figures
Old 06 April 2005, 08:57 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clarence
The power dropped cos Merc wanted to improve fuel economy & so I think they changed sth on the fuel injection system & ECU mapping.
I do remember that the full load enrichment had to be dropped because of emission regulations and this blunted the peak power figures.

Nice cars, but not my type but went in a collegues 2004 SL500 and that was amazing, but not worth the £78,000 he paid for it IMHO.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:45 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

Had a 2002 SL500 and loved it. Wife now has a 2005 SLK55AMG and, I have to say, I prefer it to the SL. More power in a smaller package, but the AMG bits make the difference
Old 07 April 2005, 09:21 AM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Olly, I know what you mean with regard to the effortless overtaking. Mine doesn’t leak and its recently had new dizzy cap and rotor arm which must be replaced regular I guess. Mine has the little pull to the left just like yours had, getting used to that although I still had it tracked.
Depreciation seems to be good on the cars, when I was looking a few years ago they were similar money. The build quality is outstanding, and must be one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.
Laughed at your next car choice when thinking low 20’s was bad.
I agree Gary, the new price tag of £73,000 when this car was new would not make it my choice if I ever had that sort of money.
H& - any pics of SLK?
Old 07 April 2005, 12:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

My mum has a MY89 500SL (last of the good looking shape ) with Lorinser wheels, body kit and interior. I take for a blat every now and then, and I agree when you floor it at 80 it really does lift off. Nice and comfy, but can be a bit tail happy in the wet when you boot it.

Last edited by MJW; 07 April 2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09 April 2005, 01:39 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

H& - any pics of SLK?
Seems I'm not allowed to post attachments on this forum, but you can see the SLK here

Last edited by H7; 09 April 2005 at 01:41 AM.