Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Scratches.....

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 08:20 AM
A'K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scratches.....

I'm picking up loads of scratches on my silver Leon cupra R dunno were there coming from, cos I park well away from other cars, and it gets garaged at night, so the only thing I can think of is all the motorway miles I do (90 mile round trip to work) so I must be picking the scratches up on my travels... I've been searching various forums and have come up with these to products -

swissol Cleaner Fluid strong
or
meguiars scratched X

can any1 recommend either? and do they really work on lacquer scratches???
Old 30 March 2005, 08:46 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Meguiars clear cote paint cleaner (or cleaner wax) is the one to use, followed up by a generous helping of NXT wax. Scratch X is also good, but maybe a little abrasive for modern paints. I sometimes have surface scratches that appear from nowhere, but the Meguairs removes them very easily and gives a glassy wet look to the paint

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 09:17 AM
A'K
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt... just been on the meguiars web site and it it called 'Clear Coat Body Scrub' ??

www.meguiars.co.uk
Old 30 March 2005, 09:22 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Do you use car washes? Apart from that it's probably dirt and small stones being thrown up. A good clean, wax/scratch treatment and polish should help. Spend the time doing this as a quick job rarely does the job. The car will look new again soon so there's some reward
Old 30 March 2005, 09:24 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

A'K,

Sounds about right. Meguiars are certainly the best value products for the results you can achieve. Had a look myself and its the body scrub you want, but do follow up with NXT. The body scrub doesn't feel very abrasive, and you may want to gently use ScratchX beforehand. Either way the results are great on both old and new cars......

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 09:56 AM
A'K
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt, I'll get some ordered then Scrub, Xscratch and NXT wax...

VERY clean cars BTW, they look like glass

and no I don't use car washes....
Old 30 March 2005, 10:21 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattOz
A'K,

Sounds about right. Meguiars are certainly the best value products for the results you can achieve. Had a look myself and its the body scrub you want, but do follow up with NXT. The body scrub doesn't feel very abrasive, and you may want to gently use ScratchX beforehand. Either way the results are great on both old and new cars......

Matt
When did you get the NSX Matt? Looks nice

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 10:38 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Only had it for a week, on loan from Honda UK. Very very nice car, and if I had the cash I'd have one.

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 10:45 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattOz
Matt,

Only had it for a week, on loan from Honda UK. Very very nice car, and if I had the cash I'd have one.

Matt
Oh right, you lucky git still is that for your job you've got it?

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 12:11 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Not for my job, no. I won a competition in Autocar last year and part of the prize was to have the NSX for a week. Stunning car, that was comfortable in town and simply awesome cross country. Feel lucky to have had the chance to live with it. Would love to buy one, but don't want to stretch to it at the moment. We'll wait and see what the future brings........................

Matt
Old 30 March 2005, 07:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a few scratches and stone chips on my front bumper, so decided to pop into Halfords and get one of those colour match wax polish. Also happened to spot a 125mm backing pad and polishing sponge/wool polishing pad attachment for a drill. Attached backing pad this to my electric drill with the wool polishing pad and some of the wax and began polishing a small inconspicuous spot on the bumper. The results were so good I did the whole bumper. The bumper is now a smooth mirror finish, no more scratches and only deep stone chips were visable if you looked carefully. An hours worth of hand polishing the scratches out done in a few minutes. The whole bumper done in 20 minutes. The drill attament and pads cost £8, money well spent.