Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

cars and ther image problems

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2005, 08:08 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cars and ther image problems

have read a few threads lately where some cars seem to get slated not because there "bad" cars but because of there image and/or popularity. for example, the citreon saxo vtr/vts are fine little warm/hot hatchbacks but because there now so many of them and there popularity with the chav/max power brigade, there much less desirable. same goes for the Audi TT. stunning design really and a quality car thats not bad to drive but again cause there loads about now and they tend to be popular with the vain, "look at me" type of people, it really makes it much less desirable. any other people got any views on this? any other cars that are going down the sameroad?
Old 26 March 2005, 08:18 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

mx5,bufty hairdresser types that really believe there driving a sports car.
bmw,to$$ers.
bmw x5,even bigger to$$ers.
ctr,the new clitoris car.
subaru,the old clitoris car.

not my opinion,just a lot of opinions ive heard at various club meetings.
Old 26 March 2005, 08:31 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

an MX5 IS a sports car ... the originals are about as close as modern cars get.
Old 26 March 2005, 08:36 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikelmr
an MX5 IS a sports car ... the originals are about as close as modern cars get.
yeah, i agree with that. the mx5 is a fine little roadster but its got a "hairdresser" image
Old 26 March 2005, 09:08 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

im just on about general consensius ive heard amongst fellow car enthusiasts mike,but you cant deny the hairdresser image.i also suppose it depends on what your definition of a sportscar is?some people define it differently.
Old 26 March 2005, 09:22 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

but the image is all part of it the lotus elan, MG's etc. etc. have always been a bit feminine

but yes it all depends on your definition. Mine is probably a mile off those who would call a Skyline or a scooby a sports car.
Old 26 March 2005, 09:38 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

well said mike,but its true about beemers though.even though im about to buy an m5,apparently i get a lifetime ticket for the fast lane which also forbids me from using any other lane on the motorway.
Old 27 March 2005, 11:21 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

It's a bit like the Lotus Elise / Vauxhall VX220 thing... those who want the badge buy the Lotus, the ones wanting the better car buy the VX

John.
Old 27 March 2005, 01:16 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I owned a Audi TT 225, which I thought was a really nice car but had the p1ss ripped out of me by my mates, calling me a hairdresser.

Owned it for 3 months, but Im back with a new scooby now.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y16/sc...&current=1.jpg
Old 27 March 2005, 01:28 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Most desirable cars get a very bad image once they get older - just look at older BMW's - generally bought by low-life who drive them round thinking they look rich

Subaru Impreza's seem to have a bit of an image problem now - basically popular with meat heads & chav's who only need to add the neon washer jets as the big wings, body kit and noisy exhaust already come with the car....
Old 27 March 2005, 01:51 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Petem95
Most desirable cars get a very bad image once they get older - just look at older BMW's - generally bought by low-life who drive them round thinking they look rich

Subaru Impreza's seem to have a bit of an image problem now - basically popular with meat heads & chav's who only need to add the neon washer jets as the big wings, body kit and noisy exhaust already come with the car....
know what u mean about the impreza now. when i bought my my98 uk turbo 4 years ago, i got alot more compliments about it then i do now even though its still immaculate. ive added a scoobyworld afterburner vortex exhaust because i think the exhaust note compliments the car and that flat4 rumble. the women i know absolutely hate the noise though and i get the "boy racer" tag even though im 33 and fairly sensible! anyway, i still the love the car even if i do get stereotyped and the women can bloody walk if they dont like it!
Old 27 March 2005, 07:43 PM
JPR
Scooby Regular

The classic Impreza has a terrible image now, a few bad apples are around since they are affordable to them now.

I openly admit that I decided to get rid of my Scooby because I succumbed to the image problem.
Old 27 March 2005, 08:31 PM
Fluffmeister
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
I owned a Audi TT 225, which I thought was a really nice car but had the p1ss ripped out of me by my mates, calling me a hairdresser.

Owned it for 3 months, but Im back with a new scooby now.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y16/sc...&current=1.jpg
How much for a short back and sides, and the Mr's Roots

Fluff'
Old 27 March 2005, 08:57 PM
m
Scooby Regular

I agree with Mikelmr the MX5 isn't a hairdresser's car....it's the domain of old blokes who think they're being outrageous by buying something that is devoid of a Rover badge.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:12 PM
ben j
Scooby Regular

i own a saxo vts. i love the bad image! it looks totally standard outside but has bilstien suspension, 4pot willwoods and a full supercharger conversion hidden under it making it about 185 bhp at the wheels givin it about 220 - 230 bhp per tonne! i like it when people try take on the "chav boy racer" car! ha ha
Old 27 March 2005, 09:46 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find most TTs these days seem to be driven my men in their fifties who think it's what they need to recapture their youth. They then blow the image completely by driving down single-carriageway roads at 54mph - usually with their wife in the passenger seat. I can't remember when I last saw one pushed hard.

M
Old 27 March 2005, 10:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

...but the guy is still enjoying his car though?

I can't understand all the worthless mods on Imprezas, but it appears to give the owners happiness so thats all that matters.
Old 27 March 2005, 10:55 PM
M5_POWER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
well said mike,but its true about beemers though.even though im about to buy an m5,apparently i get a lifetime ticket for the fast lane which also forbids me from using any other lane on the motorway.
Too Right, the third lane is MY lane!!

BMW even advertised the new M5 on their website with the slogan

"THE OUTSIDE LANE HAS A NEW HERO"

When your in an M5 you can always move cars out of the third lane as you generally know that in most cases if you hit someone at speed, you should be able to leave walking while the car in front would be crushed to pieces.
Old 28 March 2005, 02:07 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Wink

,i like your style m5.are you on the m5 forum?im still keeping my 2ltr turbo pocket rocket though for some weekend fun,but the m5 seems to have few more comforts than my car.cant wait to hit "the bmw lane".
Old 28 March 2005, 02:25 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

MX5's are good car's, I'd buy one myself if i wasn't so damn tall!!
My dad has one in the garage for weekend use (jdm version) and my sister has one for day to day use, (uk version as couldn't get insurance on an import)
Both are very nice car's and fun to drive, especially on a sunny summers day, that's the whole point really I think
Old 28 March 2005, 02:57 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

To be honest you are the one driving the car at the end of the day and if you sell it because people don't like the car you only bought it to impress anyway.

Whats the point in that?

If the car is fun to drive and you like who cares what other people think? I had the micky taken when I drove my XR3i and have the mickey taken with my scoob.....fXXk em!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 06:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have loads of people take the **** of the car I drive its a pretty constant theme subaru = boyracer /chav etc poor mans evo max power wannabe etc but I laugh when they are funny and take the **** back (one lad who laughs at my car drives a convertible audi TT) its all good fun and anyone who takes their image that seriously need to lighten up.
Old 29 March 2005, 09:22 AM
M5_POWER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
,i like your style m5.are you on the m5 forum?im still keeping my 2ltr turbo pocket rocket though for some weekend fun,but the m5 seems to have few more comforts than my car.cant wait to hit "the bmw lane".
Pete keep your 2nd car, DO NOT drive an M5 during the winter times, the DSC will annoy the hell out of you and with if off your a dead man, i garage mine from october till march.

If you can wait for a while you can buy mine in a few months, but what you need is SAT NAV and BMW Extended Warranty I have to fork out 940 quid a yr for it now but without that your in for big, big, bills. In fact i bet you could buy a good scooby for the price of regular repairs.

Old 29 March 2005, 11:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the good ole reno 5 has a bad image for blowing head gaskets although its FAR from the truth.... its an image thats stuck with it from the late eighties when people didnt know how to mod a turbo car
Old 29 March 2005, 11:45 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I've got a classic scoob and a boxster...so I spend ages doing my hair in the morning, then I put a burberry cap on and mess it all up!
Cman
Old 31 March 2005, 03:25 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had a friend who recently got an Audi S3,mmm I says, what is difference between an audi and a hedghog?

With a hedghog the ****** on the outside.
Didnt go down well as you can imagine, suppose you can interchange car make if you like. Marketing is all about image eh? wonder if any peeps on here in the field can tell us the hardest car to market. Or you could always refer to JC's cool board, scoobs are only cool if driven by women I seem to recall, is that still the case?

PS never owned an Audi, tussled with a TT once, not really my cup of tea but sure there are a lot worse eh?